HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2013, 07:24 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2013
7 Posts
Discussion
Cutting Foam with a Hot Wire

A question on how to cut foam with a hot wire. I am a bona fide newbie, just starting. I will be building a trainer and anticipate making multiple sets of wings for replacing those destroyed in the process of learning to fly. (Probably multiple aircraft is more like it.) Somewhere between 40" and 48" WS, simple rectangular shape, simple flat bottomed Clark Y airfoil. In shaping the airfoil of the half spans, what is the preferred practice (and why)? Bringing the hot wire cutter to a securely mounted work piece? OR bringing the work piece to the wire which is set out from the edge of the work bench by several inches, the frame being clamped to the bench.

I have seen at least one video of someone using the second procedure, supporting the work piece with a piece flat material. This looks it might be easier to do.

If bringing the wire to the work piece is preferred, how, with what, does a body secure/mount the work piece to something to keep it from moving around.
hoss4659 is offline Find More Posts by hoss4659
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2013, 07:36 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,315 Posts
Not sure if you are asking about "blocking" or cutting the actual airfoil?

I assume you have a bow and templates already?
Ward Hagaman is offline Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Dec 20, 2013, 07:58 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,716 Posts
hoss4659,

Welcome. You can start by reading the article I wrote for RCSD called "Build an Automated Foam Wing Core Cutter". The link to it is here: http://tailwindgliders.com/Files.html#Articles

To answer your question the foam is heavily weighted down and the wire is moved from leading edge to trailing edge cutting the bottom airfoil first then the top airfoil.

Happy Holidays
Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:01 PM
Little Red Plane
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2012
573 Posts
Buy Curtis' videos, they will give you the help you need! Well worth every penny that yo will spend.
GarryOgilvie is offline Find More Posts by GarryOgilvie
Old Dec 21, 2013, 03:30 AM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,153 Posts
Gravity hot wire cutter.

I've not seen Curtis's video, but I have seen Phil Barnes which is good too.
I have built a simple gravity driven hot wire cutter that has the bow suspended under a cantilevered bench. I copied Joe Cormer's example which can be seen here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=163

And my copy using similar principles can be seen here @ report #15:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r#post16646458

Template shaping and cutting is a subject for an entirely separate discussion.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Regulated vacuum system.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:42 AM
Canada
Joined Jun 2009
434 Posts
I read and built Curtis's rig and have been using a calculator that runs in excel that gives you the set-up positions for tapered wings, Thanks Curtis!

Also recommend sketching out the wing shape on the bench and test the gravity drop hot wire cutter set-up to fine tune before cutting and place the leading edge as close to the front of the foam block as you can.

Good luck
Paul Harvey is offline Find More Posts by Paul Harvey
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:48 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harvey View Post
I read and built Curtis's rig and have been using a calculator that runs in excel that gives you the set-up positions for tapered wings, Thanks Curtis!

Also recommend sketching out the wing shape on the bench and test the gravity drop hot wire cutter set-up to fine tune before cutting and place the leading edge as close to the front of the foam block as you can.

Good luck
Thanks Paul and Garry for the nice comments.

I test the timing of the cut by running the wire along the top of the foam core while holding the wire down to the foam with one hand and the other slowly lowering the swing arm with the other.

What we are talking about here Hoss is that on a tapered core (wing) the wire should enter the Leading Edge at the same time at the root and tip and exit the trailing edge at the same time at the root and tip of the core. So one wire must travel faster than the other.

The DVD's show all of this and much, much more. It's like going to a clinic but one that you can view over and over. I know I refer to them myself from time to time to refresh my memory on procedures I have not used in awhile.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2013, 09:58 AM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,235 Posts
Hoss, there is a very simple method of cutting airfoils described here. The wire is tied to a pivot point at one end. No bow, and only a single template to make. It works well. The drawbacks are that you can only cut a tapered wing (not the rectangular wing you describe) and you can't cut with tip washout (not easily or accurately anyway). But if a slightly tapered wing would work for you, and you haven't invested the time in building a bow yet, it might be a good way to get started quickly. The longer the wire, the less taper you will have. I've built a few gliders over the last 2 years using this method and they fly great. I'm just now starting to think about building a gravity bow cutter. I like the design that Jim T. describes above.
JimZinVT is offline Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:13 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,716 Posts
Hey JimZinVT thanks as that reminds me that I offer up a FREE video on how I do a Pivot Cut. Scroll down to Building Tips and download the "Pivot Cut" video.

http://tailwindgliders.com/Tips.html

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2013, 09:12 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2013
7 Posts
Thanks

Gentlemen-----

Returned from a Christmas break holiday to find all the very useful responses to my question. Thanks for your help!!
hoss4659 is offline Find More Posts by hoss4659
Old Dec 30, 2013, 06:14 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,153 Posts
Screw Eyes instead of sheaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT View Post
................. I'm just now starting to think about building a gravity bow cutter. I like the design that Jim T. describes above.
If you choose to do so Jim, may I suggest a further simplification. The sheaves (sometimes wrongly called: "pulleys") can be substituted for using common brass or screw eyes. If synthetic string is used, it will slide through these at the required 90 deg angle with little friction.
Which means that a suitable aluminium extrusion to allow adjustment of the sheave position is simply not required. This can be very hard to find.
So, all that is required to replace this is a length of soft wood into which the screw eyes can be positioned as determined by the taper ratio.

Just by the way, I have found no need for a spreadsheet to arrange the two pull strings pivots or sheaves to obtain the correct distance travelled for a good cut.
(Curtis and I have disagreed on this before - I'm not trying to be controversial for it's own sake, just suggesting streamlining the whole operation).
After all, the ratio is all that is required, not the actual travel.
More about this if it is not immediately obvious what I mean.

Life just gets simpler.......

Jim
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Regulated vacuum system.
Old Jan 01, 2014, 07:37 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,235 Posts
Hi Jim. I haven't really studied the geometry of these gravity driven cutters yet, but I'll get in touch when I get started building one. Not opposed to using a spreadsheet program to work it out, but if I can do without, that's cool.

Speaking of spreadsheets, I've been using Curtis' "Sailplane Calc" spreadsheets to design all of my scratchbuilt gliders and they've all flown beautifully from the first toss. Thanks Curtis!
JimZinVT is offline Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Jan 01, 2014, 09:14 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,716 Posts
Jim,
You are most welcome I glad you find them useful. You don't need the Calc for foam cutting either with the drop arm method or Pivot but it sure makes my life easier! Then again I can go for a year or so without cutting any foam! That's where my videos are a nice resource for me too. Heck I just referenced them earlier today to get a boom layup for someone.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2014, 03:54 PM
New Caledonia, South Province, Noumea
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm new to foam cutting.
What's the difference between Curtis and Jims' machines, especially concerning the swing arm ?
Thanks.
Yann
goodfruit is offline Find More Posts by goodfruit
Old Feb 12, 2014, 04:20 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,716 Posts
Yann,

Please feel free to read the article I wrote for RCSD called "Build an Automated Foam Wing Cutter" here: http://tailwindgliders.com/Files.html#Articles

Curtis
RCG Plus Member