HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:40 PM
Custom quad builder
tech69x's Avatar
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Would ya know I got my lg in to day to do the mod but I lost a motor last night just my luck
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:02 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
568 Posts
Tonight i did try the get the "protection pcb" out of the lipo. Warning. dont!

According to manufacturer this should give a little increase in flight time. Downside is i have to use a "real" charger for it now. After a messy soldering job i did connect the battery to my charger, which exclaimed "wrong polarity". Fuuuuu.

Yes, red is minus and black is plus on my hubsan. If i had connected the battery to the X4 instead of the charger i would need a new one now. I was able to swap the wires in the connector, problem solved.
Cesco is offline Find More Posts by Cesco
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:03 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2012
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
Are the LB props the ones from MassiveRC? I just ordered some from there (and a couple batteries). Shipping was amazingly fast.
The ones from Massive are 2mm longer than X4 & LB. My X4 doesn't fly very well with Massive but do great with LB props.

I just pulled out my caliper and measured. X4 props are 53.9mm, LB props 55.6mm & Massive props are 57.8mm. I like LB best. And, I finally put the LB rubbers on the X4. Why didn't I do this when I first mentioned it a month ago?
skipper1 is offline Find More Posts by skipper1
Last edited by skipper1; Dec 08, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:29 PM
Registered User
Flyingfool's Avatar
Belle Chasse Southern, Louisiana, United States
Joined Apr 2002
877 Posts
Your X4 doesn't shake and vibrate a bit in flight with the LB props?
Flyingfool is offline Find More Posts by Flyingfool
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:45 PM
MassiveOverkill's Avatar
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,359 Posts
I think the X4 needs balanced props. Some sets may be balanced, others not. some props are on average better than others. I think the Hubsan is more sensitive to prop imbalance than other quads. I've flown the MP on some pretty banged up props and its flight performance isn't as severely impacted as the X4 is when running imperfect props.
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:54 PM
Registered User
Flyingfool's Avatar
Belle Chasse Southern, Louisiana, United States
Joined Apr 2002
877 Posts
Yep, I think that is what is going on with mine as it vibrates a good bit along with the dance, so I bet it is unbalanced props.
I ordered a couple of sets of x4 props last night so I won't bother trying to balance these small LB props and just wait for the real x4 props to come in.

Oh btw massive, I got the two motor & arm sets and my 2 batteries today and I got my 939 running with one of the motors. Haven't tried the new batteries yet.

2 days for shipping is great compared to waiting weeks from China, Thanks for the fast shipping. I'm sure once you start carrying more items I will be shopping on your site more.

Randy
Flyingfool is offline Find More Posts by Flyingfool
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:00 AM
MassiveOverkill's Avatar
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfool View Post
Yep, I think that is what is going on with mine as it vibrates a good bit along with the dance, so I bet it is unbalanced props.
I ordered a couple of sets of x4 props last night so I won't bother trying to balance these small LB props and just wait for the real x4 props to come in.

Oh btw massive, I got the two motor & arm sets and my 2 batteries today and I got my 939 running with one of the motors. Haven't tried the new batteries yet.

2 days for shipping is great compared to waiting weeks from China, Thanks for the fast shipping. I'm sure once you start carrying more items I will be shopping on your site more.

Randy
Thanks FF, we're trying to expand our line and the V202 and H36 should be here next week, although we only ordered 50 H36's to test the waters with.
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:28 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,665 Posts
Gents,
Any multicopter that uses an accelerometer for self-leveling will in fact be more sensitive to vibrations from poorly balanced motors and props, poor tracking or bent and nicked props, and build materials and proper flight controller vibration isolation. These vibrations will cause performance issues such as instability, oscillations and sporadic flips of death(FOD).
That said, all multicopters, even gyro only, will fly better when the props are well balanced.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
I think the X4 needs balanced props. Some sets may be balanced, others not. some props are on average better than others. I think the Hubsan is more sensitive to prop imbalance than other quads. I've flown the MP on some pretty banged up props and its flight performance isn't as severely impacted as the X4 is when running imperfect props.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:01 AM
Registered User
Flyingfool's Avatar
Belle Chasse Southern, Louisiana, United States
Joined Apr 2002
877 Posts
I guess that the LB props are way out of balance from the factory. Most people say they are some of the best props but maybe not for the X4.
Flyingfool is offline Find More Posts by Flyingfool
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:53 AM
MassiveOverkill's Avatar
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Gents,
Any multicopter that uses an accelerometer for self-leveling will in fact be more sensitive to vibrations from poorly balanced motors and props, poor tracking or bent and nicked props, and build materials and proper flight controller vibration isolation. These vibrations will cause performance issues such as instability, oscillations and sporadic flips of death(FOD).
That said, all multicopters, even gyro only, will fly better when the props are well balanced.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
This is true Jim, but my Hubsan seems alot more 'upset' from unbalanced props than the MP. As you know, we flight test each MP, and the only thing I've noticed OOTB is slight drifting. The Hubsan goes from a American Honey Bee to an Africanized one. It has to do with the programming of each and how they react to changes. My guess is that the Hubsan programming that allows it to be so stable and handle extreme wind conditions kick into high gear with unbalanced props where the Mini Pet's programming isn't as sensitive.
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:57 AM
MassiveOverkill's Avatar
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
The ones from Massive are 2mm longer than X4 & LB. My X4 doesn't fly very well with Massive but do great with LB props.

I just pulled out my caliper and measured. X4 props are 53.9mm, LB props 55.6mm & Massive props are 57.8mm. I like LB best. And, I finally put the LB rubbers on the X4. Why didn't I do this when I first mentioned it a month ago?
Skipper, send me a message from the Store so I can look up your previous order and I'll send you a set of props that I've tried on my Hubsan. I'm curious if it's balancing and variations from set to set or something else.
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:22 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I've got a big nick in one of my props, a chunk is missing. Flies like a dream still
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:03 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,665 Posts
Hi MO,
Simple. Don't use unbalanced props on multicopters
Yes as you point out, each model type depending on its AUW and build materials accelerometer coding will vary in loss of stability flight performance due to vibration frequencies, but a stability performance loss with vibrations is still there in the form of more jitter, drifting and oscillations. For example, just keep adding even more imbalance weighting to one of the MP 6-axis props and you will see the resulting noise that the accelerometer is saturated with, and then feeds the controller bad leveling data, will cause. An interesting comparison of the accelerometer vibration performance would be with another of the newer MP 3-axis gyro only quad using the same amount of imbalance weight on one of the prop blades. The MP 3-axis will be able to perform better with the same amount of vibration due to only having gyros which are not as easily affected by vibration frequencies. There are videos of the hobby grade gyro only quads flying and landing safely after a blade breaks off a prop while in flight. Just to prove miracles do happen
Quadcopter loses half a prop in flight (1 min 55 sec)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...p#post21215677
Quadcopter with 3 1/2 Props (2 min 59 sec)


On a separate note it would also be interesting to see how the self-leveling compares between the Mini Pet 6 and 3-axis versions in large and small angle recovery back to level and how long each of them would remain level in a large area to float around in Tx hands-off after good trimming.

The bottom line is to still balance or use good balanced multicopter props and replace them when necessary. They are consumable/expendable items on multicopters....so keep lots in stock for sale
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index


Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
This is true Jim, but my Hubsan seems alot more 'upset' from unbalanced props than the MP. As you know, we flight test each MP, and the only thing I've noticed OOTB is slight drifting. The Hubsan goes from a American Honey Bee to an Africanized one. It has to do with the programming of each and how they react to changes. My guess is that the Hubsan programming that allows it to be so stable and handle extreme wind conditions kick into high gear with unbalanced props where the Mini Pet's programming isn't as sensitive.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Dec 09, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:22 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
Mikemynameis's Avatar
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Skipper, send me a message from the Store so I can look up your previous order and I'll send you a set of props that I've tried on my Hubsan. I'm curious if it's balancing and variations from set to set or something else.
I also bought props from you and there not balanced , wont even fly , but those Turnigy Nanos work great
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:31 PM
MassiveOverkill's Avatar
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
I also bought props from you and there not balanced , wont even fly , but those Turnigy Nanos work great
Twiztid, what other quads do you have, or is the Hubsan X4 the only one you have?
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion The Hubsan X4 youxif Multirotor Talk 75 Yesterday 03:24 PM
Discussion Hubsan x4 6axis scousethief Mini Multirotors 295 Jun 21, 2013 08:22 AM
Discussion Hubsan X4 Mini Quad dc9guy Mini Multirotors 32 Feb 04, 2013 11:14 PM
Discussion Hitec X4-80 eighty 4 port chager review search Timewarp Batteries and Chargers 4 Jun 22, 2012 05:20 PM