SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Aug 2012
4 Posts
Discussion
6volts or 12volts?

Hi everyone,

I'm afraid i am new to all this and would very much appreciate some advice and guidance.

I hope to start building a Slipway Dutch Courage Tugboat model as a semi retirement project. I will need to decide whether the model will be 6volts or 12volt. What are the advantages and disadvantages of 6volts and 12volts for this model?
Hans UK is offline Find More Posts by Hans UK
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:05 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,804 Posts
Lower voltage higher amp draw. For a tug I prefer 12 volts to keep the amp load down. Amp draw makes heat and that is hard on the ESC and motor. 6 volts has the advantage that most RC car speed controls will work as they normally are limited to less than 10 volts. Also if you have a small hull the batteries are smaller. Mtroniks make some very nice speed controls in various amp ratings. They are reasonably priced too.

In a scale boat you kind of work forward from the prop. The motor has to be able to stand up to the load while not gobbling up power. The speed control has to be able to safely supply the needs of the motor. You have to balance the battery by size, weight, and capacity. You want as much battery as the hull will support, that will fit through the deck.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:41 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,995 Posts
Nice build here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1045126
No mention of voltage there, but looking at the size, 12 volts. A higher starting voltage means lower current needed for the same power resulting in less voltage drop in the same weight of wiring. To make weight distribution easier, you can always use two 6 volt batteries hooked up in series to give 12v, you get more choice as to where they will go.
To help determine best layout, you can always visit the sites of battery sellers - some such as Maplin in the UK give dimensions, so you can make cardboard mock-ups to check fitting before committing to buying.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02