SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:02 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
883 Posts
What is a good starting point for cg on this plane. The manual says 4.5 inches but that is for the extra. Is the yak the same?
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Last edited by asosestrom; Mar 21, 2012 at 08:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 10:43 AM
jv8
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Jan 2010
139 Posts
Why is there no discussion on this Yak but tons of traffic about the 3DHS 48" EPP Extra?

Currently the Yak is in stock but the Extra is out.
jv8 is offline Find More Posts by jv8
Old May 21, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Mar 2011
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jv8 View Post
Why is there no discussion on this Yak but tons of traffic about the 3DHS 48" EPP Extra?

Currently the Yak is in stock but the Extra is out.
Nothing happening here for 2 months. I just finished replacing the firewall on mine and will fly her again tomorrow am. It's a really sweet flying plane.
Old May 23, 2012, 09:50 AM
jv8
Joined Jan 2010
139 Posts
I'm thinking about picking up this plane instead of the 48" EPP Extra...

Could someone measure the nose to tail length for me? I couldn't find that spec on the web site. I need to make sure it will fit in the trunk of my car. I know the Extra just barely fits so I may have to wait for that to get back in stock if the Yak is any longer.

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2012, 01:34 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
Quote:

Could someone measure the nose to tail length for me? I couldn't find that spec on the web site. I need to make sure it will fit in the trunk of my car. I know the Extra just barely fits so I may have to wait for that to get back in stock if the Yak is any longer.

Thanks!
Not sure what the length is but they Yak is definitely quite a bit longer than the Extra
stickybeatz is offline Find More Posts by stickybeatz
Old May 23, 2012, 01:47 PM
jv8
Joined Jan 2010
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybeatz View Post
Not sure what the length is but they Yak is definitely quite a bit longer than the Extra
Thanks! That's all I needed.
Old May 23, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Mar 2011
883 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
54 inches from the tip of the spinner to the tail end of the rudder. Yak 54
Old May 30, 2012, 10:51 AM
IN
Joined Jan 2010
9 Posts
yak

I would like to say that I purchased my extra first. do to my own stupidity I lost elevator input during mid flight. Needless to say it hit the ground extremely hard. So I went straight to the pc an ordered a new yak because the extra was not in stock. I built my new yak and went for a test flight. To my surprise it flew nothing like my extra. It has a horrible tendency to nose up an falls to the right as I do a flat spin. I set my center of gravity per instructions. What gives is it me or the plane? has anyone else noticed this tendency or had this problem? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
twinstick is offline Find More Posts by twinstick
Old May 30, 2012, 04:33 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,508 Posts
Yak is NOT like the extra. My Yak is very sensitive to proper CG and is more sensitive to the control inputs than the extra. Also, there are a few moves that I've found to be easy on the extra that I struggle with on the Yak......I think your experience is similar to mine....they are definately two different airframes with a very different feel.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:57 PM
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined May 2003
810 Posts
Won a Yak at FLI right after I bought one- so have 2 to play with now =why no love for this airframe? Is the Extra that much better or what ?
speed2004 is offline Find More Posts by speed2004
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined May 2003
810 Posts
Very easy to assemble- I did have to slightly scrape the wing servo mounts to get the 65MG servos in (about 1/64th)
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:00 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,508 Posts
Extra is like a baby-soft 3d trainer. Yak is a little more advanced with PLENTY of elevator and aileron Authority.

I like them both....basically, I fly whichever one does NOT currently need a firewall repair...right now for me...both need a little work...they earn every bit of damage though. The Yak is really easy for me to do smooth rollers with since it's got enough elevator to "catch-up" if I get a little behind. Also, the yak is a little heavier with it's LONG fuse...so the extra will have a little more pullout on the same power setup. Also, the extra is more forgiving on CG...but when the CG on the yak is right, it flies really nice. The yak has one of the easiest inverted harriers I've flown....plenty of positive points for the yak.

I like them both and plan on keeping one of each in my hangar.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 04:25 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
I have the skywing yak54 and love its pants off. I found it likes the CG a little further back than the extra and MXS, about 140mm on mine and flys very sweet.

Not a baby like the extra but certainly flys like a larger scale yak with the long fuselage merits.

Put a larger pack or even 4s into it and practice patterns etc.

The yak really loves to roll very well.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined May 2003
810 Posts
got her all together except tail servos=local shop ran out og 65mg and doesn't intend to stock anymore-anyone used the hobbypartz Solar servos? and which one is close to 65mg?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:31 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,508 Posts
Go for a 65mg from someone like SERVOCITY or TOWER.
RCG Plus Member