HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:53 PM
Omi
Hungary
Joined Dec 2007
13 Posts
R610s had a range about 35 meters today, exactly as good r710. R410 has about 20 meters. MCPx had 50 meters!!! AR8000 also 50+ meters. DX6i about the same as DX7s maybe even 3 meters more. Surprise! On DX6i there was NO difference in distance between US and EU setting!
Omi is offline Find More Posts by Omi
Last edited by Omi; Jun 13, 2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: + info
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Jun 2012
80 Posts
Dx7s?

Hello,
Just picked up this transmitter today and have a few questions. It is my first nice tx and am going to be flying soMe of my older aircraft that are already setup electronics wise and just picked up a couple new planes.

My question is I have a couple of orange Rx r710 and a r910 and the tx came with the ar8000. I was planning on using the orangerx but when reading the tx manual I'm getting hung up on the mentioning of installing a remote receiver in addition to the main receiver. Is this remote receiver integrated into the r710 and 910 or am I needing to buy more stuff?

Also, how many are using the telemetry? Seems like a nice idea but would be a pain moving it a/c to a/c. Am I misunderstanding something with this?

Thanks for any help!
psw757 is offline Find More Posts by psw757
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:09 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,347 Posts
Telemetry can be used with one unit for many planes but I think for the majority of users including me is we buy telemetry unit and sensor for each plane.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:58 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,587 Posts
A remote Rx(also referred to as a satellite) is necessary on a Spektrum Rx that is capable of using one. On the orange Im not exactly sure if it is manadatory(I dont use orange Rxs) to make the Rx function but will definitely go a long way to increasing the reliability of the connection.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Jun 2012
80 Posts
I can't seem to get a definite answer on whether the orange Rx paired with the dx7s needs a remote receiver?? I'm hoping not since I didn't order any.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:50 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
I can't seem to get a definite answer on whether the orange Rx paired with the dx7s needs a remote receiver?? I'm hoping not since I didn't order any.
For Spektrum receivers that come with a Remote Rx, they are usually required in order to Bind the Tx to the Rx. There may be one or more exceptions to that. It gives you Antenna Diversity which helps ensure the signal from the Tx is not blocked by any components in the aircraft, such as the engine, as the aircraft moves in different directions.

I believe I read somewhere that the Remote Rx was optional with the Orange Rx.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:47 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,055 Posts
I have 12 of the orange rcvrs in use with the DX8 and none of them use the remote rcvr.

Gord
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Jun 2012
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
I have 12 of the orange rcvrs in use with the DX8 and none of them use the remote rcvr.

Gord
Good to know! Have you had any reception issue not using the sat/remote receiver?

Also, are you using a battery plugged into the rx?

Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:37 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,347 Posts
Bec powered on mine and have no signal issue but use them in foamies.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Jun 2012
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Bec powered on mine and have no signal issue but use them in foamies.
I'm flying med sized warbird foamies. I haven't decided if if was going to add a battery for a bec or the esc. So I probably won't use a remote receiver. Can you tell me why a battery for the esc or bec would be good? I'm somewhat new to this sonic apologize for the basic question.
I like the ideA of the telemetry, just don't want to buy one for every aircraft right now. How big of a pain is it to move between aircraft?

Thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:39 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,347 Posts
If you use a servo extension then you are not putting excess strain on the pins for no reason. Then you just need to swap the TM module and sensor and rebind. Too many steps for some and good for others.

Most of my stuff is powered by the ESC bec but at the same time most of them are high powered 5A bec.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Jun 2012
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
If you use a servo extension then you are not putting excess strain on the pins for no reason. Then you just need to swap the TM module and sensor and rebind. Too many steps for some and good for others.

Most of my stuff is powered by the ESC bec but at the same time most of them are high powered 5A bec.

So just to make sure I got this straight. With the dx7s paired with orange rx receivers, both remote receiver and additional battery for a bec is optional. If I go this way, rx gets power from esc, correct?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:40 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,347 Posts
If you have esc with built in BEC then yes battery for rx & servo is optional.

Sat is also optional with Orange RX.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:48 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,055 Posts
I'm running an orange without remote in a Twist 40 3D with no problems. Just keep the rcvr well away from the ESC, batt. etc. I use a Turnigy 5 amp UBEC to power the rcvr. I never liked using a separate batt for the rcvr in case of forgetting to charge it, plus the extra weight, and you already have the power in the main batt. I used the telemetry once, just to check main and rcvr power and batt. temp in a 1/4 scale plane and never used it after that.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:22 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
www.espritmodel.com
I found mine on ebay.

Like freechip said they arent the same as the ones listed for JR(4mm)
They are the same as the ones listed for Futaba(3mm)
The DX8 and DX7s have the same size gimbal threads.
Thanks for the info!

I just bolted a new set of Gimbal Stick Ends from Spektrum on mine today. SPMA4000 is the number.

The new ones are nice and sharp and easy to hold. The stock ones are too slippery for me.

Fly safe,

-Buzzed

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMA4000
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed