New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2015, 07:03 PM
Find More Posts by Tonybuilder
Sports scale builder
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2012
1,646 Posts
Third and forth flights.

The third flight was to do some more testing on throws and maybe the flaps. Take off was routine and I put the ailerons on low rates this time and she was much smoother. Elevator was on low rates too and felt ok.

This is good for easy strait up flying. I tried flaps and she started to dive as I had 10% of down elevator in the mix. So I will change that to 5%. On landing approach she felt sluggish at the lower speed to I went to high rates on elevator. Landings are getting better as I am getting use to the elevator and my speed. No flaps are needed as we have a good 10mil head wind strait down the runway, perfect day.

She is hard to see at altitude so I need to get use to her. No rolls yet. My landing light bulb broke loos from its mount so I need to do a better job there. I think I had it on and it heats up pretty good and loosened the epoxy.

Everything is in order after an inspection. Air is holding on retracts, feels solid. The inner doors are not closing all the way as the geometry is off and it is at its weakest when closed. Not going to worry about that.

Forth flight was the same, got airborne and did a few laps. I am flying mostly at half stick or less only opening her up from time to time. I need 2 hr to seat the ring. With the 26x10 the RPMs on the ground are 6900.
Engine head temps taken as soon as I landed were in the low 200s

I di add a new carbon fiber baffle the other day and I think this is working well as I don't think I am over heating.

The gear is holding up well and no issues there. I will try and get a few more flights in tomorrow.

TB
Tonybuilder is offline Find More Posts by Tonybuilder
Last edited by Tonybuilder; Jul 11, 2015 at 07:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2015, 07:03 PM
Sports scale builder
Joined Jan 2012
1,646 Posts
Ok we took some video. Some with my Mobius and some with my ipad.

I don't have the time or software to edit so I made a few individual videos and will post them in sequence. 1,2,3,4 and so on.

Taxing for take off.
ipad 2536 (0 min 51 sec)

Take off.

maiden 004 (0 min 24 sec)

Landing

ipad 2542 (1 min 17 sec)

Enjoy.

TB
Old Jul 11, 2015, 07:39 PM
Sports scale builder
Joined Jan 2012
1,646 Posts
Here is a different view of the landing.

maiden 005 (2 min 6 sec)

TB
Old Jul 11, 2015, 08:29 PM
Find More Posts by aghost
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Mar 2005
99 Posts
Looking great!!
aghost is offline Find More Posts by aghost
Old Jul 11, 2015, 08:42 PM
Find More Posts by scootrb4
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,650 Posts
Looking GOOD. But yes, easy to lose it in the blue sky.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Jul 12, 2015, 06:13 AM
Sports scale builder
Joined Jan 2012
1,646 Posts
Another takeoff.

ipad 2539 (0 min 51 sec)

TB
Old Jul 12, 2015, 06:42 AM
bps
Find More Posts by bps
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
1,012 Posts
Very Nice!
bps is online now Find More Posts by bps
Old Jul 12, 2015, 08:40 PM
Sports scale builder
Joined Jan 2012
1,646 Posts
Flight report

Two more flights today.

And deja vu.

Im now at the north field.

fith flight.

Start up was good, engine ran good. Takeoff was nice and strait, slow rotation. Half throttle most of the time. Gear up after the first turn and still not going all in. After looking at pictures it appears that the inner doors are closing before the main as they sit on top of the inner door. So I need to speed up the main doors and and slow down the inner doors.

Sixth flight.

Startup was rutine, engine sounds good. Takeoff rutine, long roll out, slow rotation.
Did one mideum pas and a low pass with gear up to confirm they are on top of the inner doors.
Second time around I opened her up into the turn, engaging start to sputter as I came threw the turn now headed down wind I reduce throttle and drop the gear. She is far out so can't tell what the engine is doing but not good, make my turn into the perch and facing into the wind engine failing with no throttle response as I depend into a controlled desent. Landing about 100' short of the runway in the rough. Hard landing and a slow roll over the top onto her back.

Intial all damage report at the site is some damage to the chin of the cowl, one bent strut, and a little ding on the top of the rudder and vin, no structural damag.
I took the cowl off to inspect why the engine failed. Checked the battery, throttle servo and linkage, choke and linkage.
Pulled the plug and could not get a spark.

Later here at home further inspection showed the ignition sensor had failed. The white wire came out of the connector.
I put a new sensor on and checked the ignition, all checked good.

This is could have been a lot worse. On the gear the left side is pretty bent so I sent an S.O.S to Darrell at Siearra for a replacement strut so I can still make the qualifier at the end of the month.

Cowl is is not to bad as I will peal the aluminum tape of, glass the chin and then put new tape and then paint it.

Onward.

TB
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:46 PM
Find More Posts by corsair nut
fly like an EAGLE ;)
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
24,950 Posts
bummer!!! get'r fixed
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jul 13, 2015, 07:00 AM
Find More Posts by jhspring
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,917 Posts
Dang, Tony, that hurts. I know how skilled you are, she will look better than new in no time.

Fantastic build,
Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Jul 13, 2015, 07:24 AM
Sports scale builder
Joined Jan 2012
1,646 Posts
I have been worried about engine failure and just got my confidence when this happened.
Knowing what caused the failure gives my confidence a big boost as I know everything will be ok once I get her back on her feet. The struts are the biggest setback as I dint know how soon Darrell can get me up and running again. I may try and bend it back for temp use but that's iffy. I am very thankful that there was no structural damage, just minor cosmetic stuff.

TB
Old Jul 15, 2015, 03:48 PM
Sports scale builder
Joined Jan 2012
1,646 Posts
Got the cowl all fixed up. Just glassed it and covered with aluminum tape, ready to paint. I won't do that until the week befor bomber field qualifier. I also added some grommets to the cowl screws, took some servo grommets and glued them in. I have a few other mods to do before she flies again. I'm waiting on the replacement parts from Darrell so as soon as they come I'm back in the air. At this point I will most likely get one day in to get things ready for bomber.

My main goal is to just qualify, if I get a couple of good trouble free flights in that should do it.

TB
Old Jul 15, 2015, 05:51 PM
Find More Posts by pretendpilot
cuz real planes cost too much
USA, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2011
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybuilder View Post
My main goal is ..., if I get a couple of good trouble free flights in that should do it.

TB
wow. that sounds so incredibly similar to my goal!
hope you do well at bomber, tony. your work deserves recognition.
pretendpilot is offline Find More Posts by pretendpilot
Old Jul 16, 2015, 08:29 AM
Find More Posts by flyerinokc
Expert in sawdust production
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Aug 2007
1,734 Posts
Good luck at Bomber TB!
flyerinokc is offline Find More Posts by flyerinokc
Old Jul 19, 2015, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by vettster
"Take Off" eh!