New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2015, 01:46 AM
Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
553 Posts
It's starting to look like a Vulcan now....
Extreme Sports is offline Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2015, 03:53 AM
Find More Posts by ChuckGlider
Silent but deadly!
United Kingdom, Bettws
Joined Jul 2015
4 Posts
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum and am mates with BigPhil1967, who kindly built my Impala for me as I was too busy at the time to build it myself.
I've had a couple of flights with it now and loving it. The first flight it was quite nose heavy and pulled out quickly from a dive test, so for the second flight I removed 30 grams of nose weight, and the pull out was a very gentle one. I shall remove another 10 grams and that should hopefully be spot on. Then I shall be all set to fly it in anger at the PSSA Fly for Fun even around Abersoch on the LLyn Peninsular in N Wales on the 8th/9th August.

My colour scheme is based on a real aircraft which is currently a museum piece in Austria but was privately owned in the USA.
I'm thinking I may build my own correx model in the autumn but cannot decide at the moment which to go for, although I am very tempted by the F18 Hornet.

For those of you interested, I have a blog with lots of video's etc showing the flying adventures of the half dozen or so of us that fly the awesome slopes in SE Wales. The latest video shows my Impala doing its thing in only just enough air to do its thing. I hope you take a look.

A470soaring
ChuckGlider is offline Find More Posts by ChuckGlider
Old Jul 21, 2015, 04:23 AM
Find More Posts by pistnbroke
absolutely maybe
Australia, WA, Currambine
Joined Apr 2011
684 Posts
Hi ChuckGlider,

I really enjoyed your video of the Impala.

I hope you manage to take some video of your upcoming PSSA Fly for Fun event.

Regards
Ian
pistnbroke is online now Find More Posts by pistnbroke
Old Jul 21, 2015, 09:05 AM
Silent but deadly!
United Kingdom, Bettws
Joined Jul 2015
4 Posts
Hi Ian

Yes I intend to take some video of the next PSS event, as long as we have some wind.

The last event we only had 9 - 12 mph all weekend and we were all struggling to fly anything other than foamy models.

There is a little bit of video on my blog of that event in June, with three Vulcan bombers chasing a T33 Shooting Star, which btw, would make another great correx model

It's looking like my Impala and another guys Mig 3 will be the only correx models at the next event, unless someone else knows better?

Steve
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:31 AM
Find More Posts by Sean Oelofse
.....till the wind drops.
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Oct 2006
3,830 Posts
Welcome CG!
Kool blog!

Sean Oelofse is offline Find More Posts by Sean Oelofse
Old Jul 23, 2015, 01:33 AM
Silent but deadly!
United Kingdom, Bettws
Joined Jul 2015
4 Posts
Thanks Sean
Old Jul 25, 2015, 08:33 AM
Find More Posts by Jak35
I'd rather be out sloping...
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Jan 2011
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckGlider View Post
Enjoyed seeing the Impala flying abroad! Love the Imp too!
Jak35 is offline Find More Posts by Jak35
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:00 AM
Find More Posts by headlessagain
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
5,163 Posts
Great model Steve. You have some superb flying spots in your neck of the woods. Must head over across the Severn some time rather than across to Westbury White Horse/Bratton Camp.
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:00 AM
Joined May 2012
553 Posts
First flight

The Vulcan has flown....in a very incomplete form so that I could check that it had enough power and that the differential thrust provided sufficient yaw control to omit a rudder. Big ticks on both counts - it flies really nicely, has a great presence in the air and glides forever. It will definitely make a great sloper.

With the testing done, I could complete the vertical stabiliser and install the dummy jet pipes. The vertical stabiliser is built from two skins just like a conventional correx wing - that 'fat' profile is a distinguishing feature of the Vulcan and at this size I needed the extra strength. It's even got some plywood in it...I can't remember when I last used plywood!

Completing the fuselage is next. It's not turned out that well so far - not quite the right shape, and too many creases in the correx. Time for some creative remedial action.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:34 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
5,163 Posts
You could have a look at Pontious's depron Vulcan build to see if this gives you any ideas on how to form the fuse
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532258
then move onto his other builds as the Canberra, Victor and Valiant would also make great PSS models and might work in Correx.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...51860038&pp=25
Warning, you may need more than one sheet if you build as large as Terry
Andy
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:42 AM
Joined May 2012
553 Posts
Thanks. I'm thinking of adding a thin (~2mm) skin of depron over the correx (already 2 layers of 2mm) just to fair out all the seams and rough bits and enable me to carve in the correct nose profile. Then I'll cover that with some vinyl so that I won't have to worry about dents and scratches. Fuse will end up being slightly fatter than scale, but the only other option is to rebuild it, and I am not too keen on that idea
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by bigphil1967
UK, Torfaen, Cwmbran
Joined Jun 2009
45 Posts
Great news that the Vulcan flies ��
Keep up the good work.

I've now built 6 correx models , 2 Imps and 4 Migs (only 1 Mig left to have its maiden)

Now it looks like I have to build another Imp as my son has taken a shine to my one ��
bigphil1967 is offline Find More Posts by bigphil1967
Old Jul 25, 2015, 05:14 PM
Find More Posts by Jak35
I'd rather be out sloping...
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Jan 2011
1,470 Posts
Looks great, ES!
Jak35 is offline Find More Posts by Jak35
Old Jul 27, 2015, 02:34 AM
Silent but deadly!
United Kingdom, Bettws
Joined Jul 2015
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Great model Steve. You have some superb flying spots in your neck of the woods. Must head over across the Severn some time rather than across to Westbury White Horse/Bratton Camp.
Andy
Hi Andy. You're most welcome to join us for some flying in the Welsh hills, just give me a shout and I can arrange to meet you.

We are truly spoilt for good flying with great slopes for every direction apart from SE.

My email address is on my blog Andy.
Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
5,163 Posts
Thanks CG. I also passed on your details to a newbie in Cwmbran who I helped maiden last week with a model I built for him. Still learning powered but he might be temped to the "slope side" as he has a nice big bowl nearby which would be enough to temp anyone.
Andy