HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2002, 06:34 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
SCR battery cells and packs

I have and use some SCR battery packs in my larger models.
One of the packs is a 7 cell 1700 mah SCR pack. When I got it,
there was a pamphlet that basically says to slow charge it first to set the cells up. It also stated that you wouldn't garner the full
capacity until the pack had been cycled around 7 times or so.
Basically, sort of like a new nimh pack where it needs to be cycled 6 times or so to get full flight time out of it. So, I take it that SCR type cells are sort of like the nimh packs? Only the SCR packs would provide more punch. Is this correct?

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2002, 01:15 PM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
It used to be the case that all NiCds (which 1700SCRs are) needed initial slow charging to "form" them. They've been delivered formed and so haven't really needed it for years but it doesn't do any harm so many people carry on doing it. However I've got quite a few SCR packs that have never been slow charged in their lives and they seem to be doing o.k.

NiMH do seem to benefit a bit from a being cycled a few times before trying to drag lots of current out of them but the jury is out on whether it's the slow charge or mainly the discharge that is doing anything useful. There's a lot of myth and magic in this business.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Sep 01, 2002, 07:53 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Thanx Steve. I used the pack once already. Didn't seem to have
the flight time as my 1700 KR-AE pack but it did have a little more
pop to it. Going to be charging it at 3 amps.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit