HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2014, 04:12 AM
Chess club geek with wings
Brainerd, MN
Joined Aug 2008
1,047 Posts
Discussion
Sketchup help

I'm trying to learn Sketchup and was wondering if there is some in depth on-line tutorials specifically for designing RC airplanes.

I've found "Sketchup for RC" on Utube and have learned a lot but he is only designing simple flat foam structures....

Here's what I'm trying to do, perhaps someone can give me some guidance:

I have a set of plans for my airplane in PDF and have imported it into Sketchup and scaled them to the proper scale.

I want to retain the planes exterior dimensions but re-design its internal structure.

How do I take my tracing and turn it into a 3d model where I can begin to manipulate its internal structure??

I've seen devCad advertised, perhaps its an easier program for noobs to learn?

Thanks!
Trent
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2014, 08:32 AM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,176 Posts
There are threads scattered all over this site. One is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...tchup+examples

Lots of flatties in that thread but other, more scale, versions too.

Google "Sketchup for RC models" and literally thousands of hit come up.

Tom
T_om is offline Find More Posts by T_om
Old May 26, 2014, 05:31 AM
Brainerd, MN
Joined Aug 2008
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_om View Post

Google "Sketchup for RC models" and literally thousands of hit come up.

Tom
That was the problem, too many threads! I was hoping there was a "grandaddy" of all Sketchup threads or a few large ones with lots of relevant information.

Thank you for the above link, its the most applicable I've seen to date -

Tom I see you posting a lot of information about Draftsight, perhaps you can answer this question -
Should I be using a 2D program or 3D?

I'm a scratch builder that is taking an old set of plans and updating its construction (lighter). I'm not re-designing any exterior elements, just internal. Once finished I need to be able to print out the formers, ribs etc. onto paper then I intend on cutting the design by hand.

Would 2D be better/easier to learn than 3D?
Last edited by blunight; May 26, 2014 at 06:09 AM.
Old May 26, 2014, 09:06 AM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunight View Post
That was the problem, too many threads! I was hoping there was a "grandaddy" of all Sketchup threads or a few large ones with lots of relevant information.
This is not directed at you personally but to folks in general wanting to get into CAD (of any flavor).

There is a STEEP learning curve to almost all CAD programs, even the "simple" ones.

It is just the level of complexity and power. Tim Allen is always flogging "More Power!" but along with that comes complexity.

I was lucky enough (or unlucky, depending on your point of view) to have access to SolidWorks for a long time through my son's business. But the seat was needed and I had to turn in the laptop and program just as I was getting the "baby steps" hang of it... 7 months later. And my educational background (many years ago ) is architecture so I have a good grasp of drafting to start with.

You are going to have to go through all the "baby steps", including sorting through many tutorials and examples that might make no sense at first. Find ones that do. It takes time.

Quote:
Tom I see you posting a lot of information about Draftsight, perhaps you can answer this question -
Should I be using a 2D program or 3D?
I use DraftSight from time to time because it is free and has no problem with AutoCAD formats, unlike the free version of SketchUp. As I have posted elsewhere, I really do not even like it very much but it is a tool that is handy when you need that particular tool. I had rather use a chainsaw than an axe, but there are times when the axe is appropriate to the job and a chainsaw isn't. I also had Rhino for a time through another graphics business I owned but it went with the business when sold. So now I am back to SketchUp and I actually have come to like it a lot.

As for whether you should be using 2D or 3D, asking me that is like asking whether you should wear brown socks or grey socks today... it is your personal choice.

For a new hobbyist CAD user I would recommend SketchUp for three major reasons.

1. A useable, powerful, version is free.

2. There are TONS and TONS of available web tutorials out there to learn from.

3. Last, there is a huge user community that program plugins that vastly increase the base power of the program.

I am sure there are other people that have different opinions about this stuff out there. But that is what I would recommend. The choice in the end is yours of course.

Tom
T_om is offline Find More Posts by T_om
Old May 26, 2014, 09:35 AM
Brainerd, MN
Joined Aug 2008
1,047 Posts
Thank you for the information Tom, exactly what I needed.