HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2011, 07:46 PM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jan 2007
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet View Post
I got my new Dynex Warlord repaired and ready to try again this Sunday. The rudder and elevator servo problems were fixed by slightly moving the servo motors back in their mountings to eliminate an interference in the two gears. Now I'll know to look for that!

See you Sunday afternoon!

Jim
Hey Jim,
Does your plane look as good after your maiden? I bet it does...

Sorry Josh and I could not make it last sunday at GFFF. I will absoulutely see you and the rest of the folks at the next one... thanks for the outstanding job you do....

Bruce
Airhead9 is offline Find More Posts by Airhead9
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2011, 06:27 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,378 Posts
Bruce, we do look forward to flying with you two again soon, for sure! The next GFFF is Sunday March 13, less than two weeks away now.

I flew the Warlord several times at the GFFF. But the elevator servo was still giving me intermittant trouble, so the flights were short and less than fun. I need to get that figured out once and for all, even if it means I must replace the brick.

I added four longer carbon rods from the motor mount clear back into the wing to straighten the fuselage (mostly) and to transfer loads into more of the fuselage. It looks OK, but not particularly straight or pretty. I have a second Warlord kit, and I may well end up building it someday with all the lessons I've learned on this first one. But that will be a while yet. Plenty of other projects and Honey-Dos!

We had a great flying time Sunday. I took several photos, but they are still in my camera.

Jim
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:47 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,378 Posts
MARS Micro Modelers fly Wednesday March 9

From Al Clark:

Sorry for the short notice, but its been a while since weve flown, so Ive lined up MSFC building 4316 for our next indoor flying session on Wednesday, March 9th, from 4:00 to 6:30 p.m. Yall should have some new toys, so bring em out and get some air time!
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:24 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,378 Posts
The latest from Al Clark

Sorry for the short notice, but I have just been informed that building 4316 has been configured with pipe and drapes in the center of the room for a number of events that will run through March 25th. Therefore, we will cancel this Wednesday, March 9th, and reschedule our flying session for Wednesday, March 30, from 4:00 to 6:30 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:16 PM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jan 2007
156 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for the short notice, but I have just been informed that building 4316 has been configured with pipe and drapes in the center of the room for a number of events that will run through March 25th. Therefore, we will cancel this Wednesday, March 9th, and reschedule our flying session for Wednesday, March 30, from 4:00 to 6:30 PM.
Thanks for the update Jim. Appreciate it......

Bruce
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:17 PM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jan 2007
156 Posts
Quote:
Bruce, we do look forward to flying with you two again soon, for sure! The next GFFF is Sunday March 13, less than two weeks away now.

I flew the Warlord several times at the GFFF. But the elevator servo was still giving me intermittant trouble, so the flights were short and less than fun. I need to get that figured out once and for all, even if it means I must replace the brick.

I added four longer carbon rods from the motor mount clear back into the wing to straighten the fuselage (mostly) and to transfer loads into more of the fuselage. It looks OK, but not particularly straight or pretty. I have a second Warlord kit, and I may well end up building it someday with all the lessons I've learned on this first one. But that will be a while yet. Plenty of other projects and Honey-Dos!

We had a great flying time Sunday. I took several photos, but they are still in my camera.

Jim
Hopefully that repair helps yu out a little.. Can't wait to see it in action.....
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:20 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,378 Posts
An article on today's GFFF to be in Monday's Huntsville Times!

Sarah Cure and a photographer from the the Huntsville Times visited today's Grace Family Fun Fly. She talked to several pilots, and he took a bunch of photos. As they left, I asked and learned that their article will be in Monday's Huntsville Times in some sort of Community Section. It will also be posted online at al.com I wanted to let you all know in case you get the HSV Times and you might be interested in seeing what they publish on us.

Jim
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:49 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,378 Posts
Here's some video from yesterday's Grace Family Fun Fly:

http://videos.al.com/huntsville-time...3-13-2011.html

And see page A3 of today's 3/14/2010 Hsv Times.

Also there are 9 photos at: http://photos.al.com/4462/gallery/rc_fly-in/index.html

Jim
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Mar 14, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:18 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,378 Posts
GFFF article, video, and photos, all available at one place

Besides page A3 of the 3/14/2011 Huntsville Times paper, the writeup and links to the video and the 9 photos is here: http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/03/...aims_to_s.html

Jim
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:57 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,378 Posts
Bring your Trex 250s to the Grace Family Fun Flys

After some discussions with bronicabill (Bill Rainey) and a checkout flight at Grace UMC yesterday, I've decided to allow Trex 250s to be flown there. They will, of course, require more pilot care than the mCX!

Jim
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Mar 31, 2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Corrected name to Bill Rainey
Old Mar 15, 2011, 02:13 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,378 Posts
Blade mCP X helicopter problems

I just became aware of some Blade mCP X helicopter problems that involve a blade flying off unexpectedly and a grip bearing possibly breaking into several pieces.

See: http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...0_Bulletin.pdf for a preflight supplement and some discussions at: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=mcpx

I read that this may possibly have something to do with a bearing being installed backwards, but that possibility is not addressed by their suppement.

Sunday at our GFFF we had two of these brand new helicopters that I know of. I learned at the end of the day that one broke on the very first flight. I think the other survived at least several flights. I was not aware of any widespread problem with these, much less the suggested inspections, much less any eventual fix. I'm sure glad that nobody got hurt!

I'll be following this and considering what we can/should do. We may need to isolate them to a particular part of the gym with no one allowed too close.

Be forewarned!

Jim
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:02 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,378 Posts
Horizon doing something about the Blade mCP X blade grips

I just saw where Horizon has an upgraded blade grip for the mCP X helicopters. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=BLH3580

They are sending them out free of cost in the US.

About the April 3 Grace Family Fun Fly. I'll be adding a coned-off area that's about 1/4 to 1/3 of the gym to be a "No Spectators Zone" for a little more safety when flying the Blade SRs, the T-Rex 250s, the Blade mCP Xs, etc.

See you next Sunday!
Jim Marconnet
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Jul 05, 2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:06 PM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jan 2007
156 Posts
Good idea Jim...
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:07 PM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jan 2007
156 Posts
Quote:
After some discussions with bronicabill (Bruce Stillwell?) and a checkout flight at Grace UMC yesterday, I've decided to allow Trex 250s to be flown there. They will, of course, require more pilot care than the mCX!

Jim
Who.....? haha

Bruce
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:25 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,378 Posts
Extra 300 3D is a real winner, IMHO!

Today I got an Extra 300 3D at R/C Hobbies and flew it the very first time this afternoon at the MARS Micro Modelers. This plane is a Winner!

So many planes I've bought and then struggled to fly indoors, never having much success. (Sukhoi, Mustang, and most lately the UM4_Site) This one flew for me right away, turned without diving, had good roll stability, landed easily. The only thing I've noticed a bit bad about it is that it tends to nose over after landing. If that's it's worst attribute, I'm thrilled!

I'm glad to have it and to know that I should be able to fly it and do more acrobatics at Grace UMC this Sunday afternoon.

It uses a 150 mAH LiPo. I bought another one to have two. They both worked great out of the box. with no LVC pulsing stuff like the Mustang and the UM4-Site do almost right away on a freshly charged pack.

Jim