HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2010, 02:56 AM
South Australia
Joined Sep 2009
152 Posts
Discussion
Building a Dumas Akula

Started on my Dumas Akula, I hope it is a much fun to run as it has been to build, My first sub, first vacuum form model, and one of the very few times I have followed the instructions Can't wait to get it wet.
oztruck is offline Find More Posts by oztruck
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2010, 03:01 PM
Central Alabama RCShips, Sails
United States, AL, Odenville
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztruck View Post
Started on my Dumas Akula, I hope it is a much fun to run as it has been to build, My first sub, first vacuum form model, and one of the very few times I have followed the instructions Can't wait to get it wet.
Oztruck,

Make sure EVERYTHING works correctly before you seal the WTC !!

I found out that mine worked ok before I sealed it up, sealed it worked fine, got to the lake and dead as a door nail.

Found the problem in the wiring inside, had to break the WTC open and start over. Lots of extra, unnecessary work.

I also did away with the switch provided, and all mechanical connectors inside the WTC. Works great now. I'm using a gold-plated connector on the positive lead from the battery, between the WTC and battery holder. No switches.

Be sure to add/adjust ballast and attach the upper hull before you glue the ballast down permanently.

Please post some photos of your build
WingRider05 is offline Find More Posts by WingRider05
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:26 AM
South Australia
Joined Sep 2009
152 Posts
Thanks for the tip "WingRider05" i did that, put it in the tub, left it there for about an hour and found about 3oz of water in the wtc. Not happy Jan
I don't think the RTV I used is any good. So now it has condensation on EVERYTHING. Never mind it CAN be fixed. Gives me something to do tomorrow
Old Aug 31, 2010, 07:52 AM
I didn't have to use my AK
United States, NC, Etowah
Joined Nov 2007
365 Posts
You did glue a bottle top to the WTC right?
I am pleased with my Akula it is a little hard to submerge, but with a little practice it goes down fine!!
avoidingexpert is offline Find More Posts by avoidingexpert
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:16 PM
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
I hope you glued a bottle top/cap to the WTC. Remove the cap so things can dry out in there. It's normal to have a little condensation.

I used Aquarium silicone to water proof with. As waterproof as a ducks behind...
Old Sep 01, 2010, 12:09 AM
South Australia
Joined Sep 2009
152 Posts
Yep got the bottle top in. played around with it last night and it is still leaking. Have no fear, I WILL find it/them, it is only a matter of perseverance.

Cheers Chris
Old Sep 01, 2010, 04:00 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,363 Posts
Chris you R welcome 2 bring her along 2 Rymil Park lake on 26th(Sun) Tf72 club sail[ 9.30am to 1.30 ish( dependin on weather gods)] The lake is nice an clear and plenty of room for all.
Even if she's not ready 2 run, Come down fro a lookee!!

Cheers Bruce
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Old Sep 01, 2010, 05:16 AM
South Australia
Joined Sep 2009
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCruser9 View Post
Chris you R welcome 2 bring her along 2 Rymil Park lake on 26th(Sun) Tf72 club sail[ 9.30am to 1.30 ish( dependin on weather gods)] The lake is nice an clear and plenty of room for all.
Even if she's not ready 2 run, Come down fro a lookee!!

Cheers Bruce
Thanks Bruce for the invite, I also have a 1/50 tug and a 1/16 Landing craft

Old Sep 01, 2010, 10:16 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,363 Posts
Kewl!! more the merrier !! A couple of the new guys who R also in the SAscale ship modellers Have some 1/50 scale stuff a Dutch Zwarte Zee and the MV Troubridge!!
Is that A old Tamiya Leopard A1 in left of Pic?? (always wanted one of those!!)

Cheers Bruce

P.s I will bring the current APSmodels catalog along 2( word's don't do the No & type of models justice)
Old Sep 01, 2010, 10:20 AM
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
Chris,

You may want to try this:

Find a second cap to your bottle top, drill a hole, insert a piece of brass tubing, waterproof, attach a piece of fuel tubing. While holding the sub underwater in the tub, gently blow into the tubing to pressurize the WTC, doesn't take much!! You should be able to pinpoint the leak immediately.

Jared
Old Sep 02, 2010, 05:39 AM
South Australia
Joined Sep 2009
152 Posts
Thanks Bruce, looking forward to it. That tank is a Pershing, I don't have a Leopard A1 yet, but I do have a Centurion

Big thanks to you Jared. Silly me, I have been blowing in it and trying to HEAR where it is leaking. Sometimes I can't see the trees for the forest
Old Sep 02, 2010, 09:10 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,363 Posts
Chris What scale/approx scale is the Akula?? had a look on the Dumas site and it says 'Standoff scale'

Cheer's Bruce
Old Sep 02, 2010, 11:15 AM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,570 Posts
based on a 375' length for the real craft (according to wikipedia), and a 33" length for the dumas, that makes the dumas about 1:136 scale.
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Sep 02, 2010, 09:39 PM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,363 Posts
Thx Mate!! Cheers 4 clearing that up.
Old Sep 04, 2010, 04:14 AM
South Australia
Joined Sep 2009
152 Posts
I think I have found the problem, it seems that the top of the WTC has very small holes in it where it is formed in a "L" shape to match up with the bottom part. The plastic is stretched that much that it is paper fin on the bends. It looks ok till I put it in the water seems fine no bubbles but when I take it out there is water in there. I am going to try and seal it again but at the moment I am not a happy camper

The thickness of the plastic ranges from .75mm on the sides to .005mm on the bends.