HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2003, 09:57 PM
MA
Joined Jul 2002
38 Posts
Tx for Tiger Moth

Ok...so i'm almost done building my Tiger Moth...lookin' awesome....(with all the help out here..thank you) and I go to a LHS to check out radio's and filigh packs. I know what I want, and for the flight pack, I'm gonna order the http://www.aeromicro.com/SpPcioNiMHPack.htm special. But for the Radio, I've decided to buy the Hiteck Flash 5x. I ask the guy if they carry it, and he seemed to really know what he was talking about, he's the owner and has been there for over 20 years, and he tells me Hitech is not made very well and that I should get a Futuba. He had a deal with a 4 channel, 3 micro servos, reciever and batteries, for $120. All I would have to buy extra would be the ESC. Sorry, I don't remember the model number, but I can tell you there was no lcd on the Rx and everything was packaged together.
So I guess i'm asking everyone out here, whats the better radio. I'm hoping i'm going to use the radio for other planes as well as the TM once I finally get flying.
I know this isn't the correct forum for this question, but everyone here has always given great advice. Once again, thanks for all the help
Perly
Perly is offline Find More Posts by Perly
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2003, 09:59 PM
MA
Joined Jul 2002
38 Posts
Oops, I meant not LCD on the transceiver. Sorry
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:25 PM
Wollongong, Australia
Joined Feb 2003
75 Posts
Perly,
I recently bought the Hitec Flash SX 5 after reading many, many posts on this site saying what exemplary service the company gives.
I have also read good things about the Futabas!
I also have a TM, my first model, and don't utilise any of the Flash 5's advanced features but decided that they would be there when needed later. Just charge the batteries, turn it on and fly.
Regars, Bernie.
bernie01 is offline Find More Posts by bernie01
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:32 PM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
Hitec Flash 5X

Can't speak for the Futaba, but the Flash 5 is great. It has a 5-model memory which is nice (I currently fly my 2 gliders, Tiger Moth, and Piccolo helicopter all with the same radio), Elevon & V-tail mixing built in, digital trims instead of analog, flight timer, and servo reversing just to name a few features. Takes alot of "hassle" out of getting your model(s) setup. I've never had a problem with any of my Hitec electronics, and I use them exclusively in all my planes/helis.
tenover is offline Find More Posts by tenover
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:37 PM
Las Vegas Realtor
Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2002
1,114 Posts
Both are fine brands with Futaba, in my opinion, being a little better quality. However, Hitec is a much better value when you consider features for price. My guess is that the Futaba you were shown had no mixing functions at all.

Regards,
John Brassner
AMA 84036
http://www.inarico.com/misc/rc
Inari is offline Find More Posts by Inari
Old Feb 25, 2003, 12:39 AM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
Given the two options, stick with the Hitec. A four channel will get you by but you'd be sol if you got a warbird and wanted to add retracts.
I can tell you that the Futaba 4 channel is just that, no LCD, programming, no features like the Hitec. Get a 6 channel computer from Futaba and the story changes. I beleive in getting the best radio you can afford. It's better to have functions you don't use now but will be there when you need it.
If you think you might get into helis then a six channel would be good. If you're going to stick with planes then the 5SX is good enough.
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd
Old Feb 25, 2003, 03:16 PM
MA
Joined Jul 2002
38 Posts
Very cool. Thanks guys. It looks like the Hitec is it. Very soon, my next post will be the results of my maiden voyage!!! YeeeeHaaaaaaa!!!!!