HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2008, 09:22 AM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Yippee!
Cluck Cluck Cluck..Funky Chicken Revival!!

OK, you just gotta smile when you see one of these things. I thought since they are out of production now, I'd post some pics of this one I just "hatched" for the people that might not have seen them.

A little brushless Turnigy outrunner with a folding prop helps the chicken get flight, and it's fed with special 3 cell bird seed and grain. If it manages to get through it's maiden, I'll add another servo and rig it up to drop "eggs" on unsuspecting ground critters.
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2008, 09:31 AM
Joined Jan 2008
5 Posts
AHahaha. Very nice!
toy4x4 is offline Find More Posts by toy4x4
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:07 AM
Tacoma, WA
Joined May 2005
284 Posts
Man, that's cool. I wish they'd bring em back!!! I anyone has one they'll never get to, I'm interested in adding it to my henhouse.
Jon S is offline Find More Posts by Jon S
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:40 AM
RCAPA #005
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
I wish they still had them too...
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer
Old May 04, 2008, 06:50 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,065 Posts
Well at least I see I'm not the only one still flying a Funky Chicken...even though this thread is several months old. My Chicken has been beat, battered, and brused (not fried) and is still hanging in there. I flew it today after a long hiatus and it took to the sky like...well...a bird to flight. I had fiberglassed mine which is probably the only reason why it's lasted as long as it has. I don't look forward to the day it stops flying as it really is something unusual and fun. Of course I have egg drops on mine too.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2008, 08:04 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,417 Posts
When I first saw a pict of this "plane" I googled it to death trying to locate one...heck I even looked in Europe and Aussie!! I wish they made it still... great looking bird.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old May 04, 2008, 11:27 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Well mine doesn't look quite as fresh now as when I started this thread. The poor chicken has been through the wringer! Not the most stable flier, and not to be flown in wind. Still puts a smile on peoples faces
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old May 05, 2008, 04:45 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,417 Posts
Jag,

She's an attention getter and conversation starter... thats what matters...well nice flying always helps!!

ATIS
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old May 05, 2008, 08:35 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,065 Posts
Mine flies pretty stable, though it does wobble in the wind. It does pretty darn good rudder rolls too...almost like it had ailerons. It is always and attention grabber.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2008, 01:20 PM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
I still fly mine for kicks.
I put the eyes on rare earth magnets so that they will turn.
When he is just sitting around he looks sad. when he flies he looks
intense.

I also made the top of the head removable for a battery hatch so I don't
have to remove the wing to change batteries.

One other thing. That little thing that hangs under a chickens chin, I can't remember what it is called, the original plywood ones broke off constantly when landing.
I made mine out of red felt. It kind of flaps in the breeze while flying,
and folds neatly out of the way when landing.

Tim.
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old May 05, 2008, 06:19 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,065 Posts
To funny. Good thinking on the eyes. Mine's been beat up more and doesn't look as pristine, but still good enough. I guess mine's been around for 4 or 5 years now. Pretty good longevity for a foamy. To bad they're not around any more. My LHS had one a year or so ago that I was tempted to pick up as a spare, but waited to long and someone beat me to it. I sure wouldn't mind a spare.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2008, 10:28 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
To funny. Good thinking on the eyes. Mine's been beat up more and doesn't look as pristine, but still good enough. I guess mine's been around for 4 or 5 years now. Pretty good longevity for a foamy. To bad they're not around any more. My LHS had one a year or so ago that I was tempted to pick up as a spare, but waited to long and someone beat me to it. I sure wouldn't mind a spare.
Thanks Van,

Mine has been flying for over 4 years as well. Nothing gets beat up on it
except the belly from landing in the grass. Even that isn't beat up too much, just grass stained.

I think it flies pretty well for a rudder only plane. I never noticed any bad habits except that if you hold a tight turn for too long it will tuck in and start to dive.
It comes out quickly though with a little opposite rudder.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old May 06, 2008, 10:33 AM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,058 Posts
Still fly mine on 'special' occasions (stock 400 motor motor with NiMh batts). Kids love it and it is soooo easy to fly . Good luck on your maiden! Looks super! I just hit mine with a few passes with a spray can and called it good .
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Sep 22, 2008, 07:54 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,386 Posts
I have been looking for one of these with no luck Anyone know where I can still pick one up or does anyone have a good model for sale?
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Sep 22, 2008, 07:39 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,065 Posts
It's going to be pretty hard to find one anymore. I think it's been out of production for 2 or 3 years at least. Mine is still flying, but has it's share of war wounds. I don't fly it often, but when I do I'm still amazed how well it flies...complete with decent rudder rolls and all. I glassed my FC and that's probably the only reason why it's still in flying shape. He's gone dig'n for worms several times, but the glass kept the majority of the pieces together allowing for fixes.
RCG Plus Member