HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2005, 02:55 PM
Gainesville Fl.
Joined Mar 2003
19 Posts
Tiny motors

I have a small coreless motor from MTM in Germany it is 22 mm long and has a dia. of 16 mm. Two wires coming out of the back. It was the motor from their Colbrini power system. A great littly motor and gear box, my problem is I need a replacement motor and MTM is no longer in business. Does anyone know if I can get a replacement motor and where?

Thanks
John C
jfcgnv is offline Find More Posts by jfcgnv
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2005, 03:32 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
That's a DC5-2.4 motor, made by CIK in Japan I think. I have one of the same propulsion sets. Mike had a nice CNC machined adapter made up that adapted a Maxon planetary 4:1 gearbox to this motor. See the Micro Threads index which has a link to a thread on the DC5-2.4 and Firefly motors.

Anyway, you can buy the motor from Dave Lewis (in Florida like you) at www.homefly.com for $27. It's listed under "motors". WES in Germany and Sky Hooks and Rigging in Canada also have them, but shipping would be considerable. Dave has free shipping if the order is over $50, or $2 if less than $50, and he's right near you.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Dec 01, 2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2005, 04:45 PM
Gainesville Fl.
Joined Mar 2003
19 Posts
Gordon, Thanks for the quick reply. I have done business both with Sky hooks and With Homefly. The DC5-2.4 motor is smaller than the one I need replaced. It measures 18mm X 10 mm I need 22mm X 16 mm. I think the DC5-2.4 motor is low voltage ( around 3 volts Max). The motor I need is 6 to 9 volts.

I agree the little adapter and gear box from MTM is a great little jewel. All i need now is to find a motor to use. The DC5-2.4 looks like the adapter will fit, however I am worried about the power output and voltage. I don't want to burn up another one. Using three Lipo's resulted in my delima. The little motor ran fine on two.

John C
Old Dec 01, 2005, 05:58 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
Did you find the thread on these motors?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=125589
Since you said you have a Kolibri from MTM I did not check the dimensions that you posted versus the DC5-2.4. You might look at the picture in the above thread. When I ordered the Kolibri from Mike that's what I got, and it is a DC5-2.4. If yours has different dimensions it might be some variation from Mike that I didn't know about.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Dec 01, 2005, 07:04 PM
Gainesville Fl.
Joined Mar 2003
19 Posts
I will order a DC5-2.4 and let you know if it fits my gearbox. After reading the thread it seems that 7.4 volts and 1 amp is ideal.
Thanks
John
Old Dec 05, 2005, 06:15 PM
Gainesville Fl.
Joined Mar 2003
19 Posts
Gordon, I got my new DC5 2.4 motors from Dave at Homefly today. You are correct it is a DC5 2.4 that Was on the colbrini from MTM. All I have to do now is pull the pinion gear from my bad motors shaft. I guess my next purchase will be a gear puller. Do you have a scorce for the motor pinion? It is really a small buger.

John C