HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2014, 01:15 AM
No slope for richardo
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,014 Posts
Discussion
2 part paint options

Hey all, I'm looking to finish a plug and need an option for 2 part paint that doesn't require a spray gun...or a suitable rattle can option. I don't have a nice spray set up so looking for other options, hopefully something that can be obtained in my area code (Seattle). Also, polish options?

Thanks all,
-Rick
Endless Sloper is offline Find More Posts by Endless Sloper
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2014, 01:26 AM
No slope for richardo
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,014 Posts
Ah, one more question...Proraver, where to pro-cure? Only found one place online and it was like $300.00 for 1.6 cu. ft. Yikes.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 02:50 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
5,999 Posts
If you don't have the ability to paint using a good 2-part system, the age-old method of wax and PVA will suit a majority of applications. There's a lot of good info here in the composites section about applying PVA without a gun to achieve acceptable results. Even still, you can plan on sanding and polishing the mold surface if your plug isn't perfectly shiny. You won't achieve the ultimate shine compared to making your plug a class-A finish but it's still pretty good. It also depends on whether you plan to paint the parts after demold or use a paint-in-mold finish. Also, how many parts are you looking to make in the tool? These are all questions to consider up front before embarking on making a composite tool.

An interesting product someone tuned me into for making glossy clear coat finishes without a gun is this stuff: Diamond Finish I haven't tried it out but the customer did and was impressed with the results. Some further reading in their reviews and picture gallery looks favorable.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2014, 05:25 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2007
3,507 Posts
You can brush or roll most 2 packs, but you'll be in for a LARGE job sanding and polishing.
If you have a smash repair place nearby, you might be able to get them to shoot paint for you?
Odysis is online now Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:59 AM
No slope for richardo
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,014 Posts
Thanks for the replies all. Some background, making a fuse mold to pull 20-25 parts total but I would like it to be as nice as possible w/o spending a heap of $$ . I enjoy the work, but not so much that I want to go into business. With my first mold I took some short cuts and came out with a sub-par product. This time I would like to check all the boxes if possible. One of them being a really smooth finish as I believe this will help releasing parts from the mould when complete.

Little background, the first round was a hardwood carved and sanded plug to which I applied epoxy and graphite (sand, sand, sand), then applied another round of epoxy and graphite (sand, sand, sand). To make the mold, waxed and PVA'd the plug, created the parting board, and filled the gaps w/ thickened epoxy. Popped the plug (sand, sand, sand) and then waxed and PVA'd the whole sha-bang. Next, to create the mould I boxed around the parting board and plug, applied gel coat for the first layer, then layers of fiberglass and carbon. During this process I'm guessing I screwed up the gel coat and it shrunk on me. When it was all said and done I had "something". When I pulled the first part, it was pretty in some places and really ugly in others (mainly around the seem). I can post pics, but I'm kind of embarrassed to display my ineptitude here.
Last edited by Endless Sloper; Mar 25, 2014 at 03:02 AM. Reason: What the heck, here's a pic...
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:05 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
3,960 Posts
Sloper:

There is an automotive two part (2K) clear coat available in a spray can. You invert the can and push on a plunger to break an internal ampule to release the catalyst in the can. Once mixed you can spray anytime within 48 Hrs.

It makes a very hard clear coat that can be polished out to a show car finish.

Now for the bad news. You MUST use a good organic filtered face mask (better yet a positive pressure full face mask) because the catalyst has some very nasty stuff in it....just as all 2K paints do. And it ain't cheap at about $20 a can.

I use it to top coat waterbased paints on my RC sailboats.

Lots of places on line carry it, but I get it at my local auto paint store.

http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/...3680061-02.htm

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:29 PM
United States, CA, Oxnard
Joined Sep 2006
42 Posts
You can brush on this as a filler/surface/and sand and polish it
http://www.amazon.com/FEATHER-FILL-B.../dp/B000Q8BBPE
but there are all kinds of poly-ester products that can be brushed if necessary ! in a pinch use a
http://store.preval.com/ sprayer and then use the two-part clear as above for final Finnish
bommerglide is offline Find More Posts by bommerglide
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:39 PM
Joined Sep 2006
42 Posts
paint things

Just thought of one other thing I'v used and it polishes up nice is water-based poly urethane
Old Mar 26, 2014, 04:05 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2007
3,507 Posts
Would WBPU be waterproof after drying? If not, the PVA would probably bond with it, not ideal for a plug!
Odysis is online now Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Mar 26, 2014, 05:27 PM
Joined Sep 2006
42 Posts
never had aproblem
Old Mar 26, 2014, 06:13 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
3,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Sloper View Post
.... Next, to create the mould I boxed around the parting board and plug, applied gel coat for the first layer, then layers of fiberglass and carbon. During this process I'm guessing I screwed up the gel coat and it shrunk on me.
BTW....polyester resin, including gelcoat, shrinks about 3% when it cures - just the nature of the beast. Tooling gelcoat shrinks a little less because of the higher solids content, but it still shrinks. The shrinkage in epoxy as it cures is almost nil.

You can make the equivalent of an "epoxy tooling" resin by adding powered graphite (West #423) and a little fumed silica (AKA Cabosil, colloidal silica or West #406) until it is the consistency of ketchup.
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Mar 27, 2014, 03:56 PM
No slope for richardo
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,014 Posts
Great points all, thanks! Looks like I'll be picking up some #423. Got an offer from a local guy on paint, if it doesn't work out I'll check out the options above.