Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2011
285 Posts
Discussion
Crasha's jetlegend F-22 build

Here is my latest build

The jetlegend F-22 raptor in kit form

The F-22 kit comes as a bare shell with a big bag of formers and hardware

You have to do your own paint and decals. There is also no manual, only a set of plans to show former locations

It is going to be a big build and I will be taking my time to ensure everything works like it should

The plan is to make a few mods for reliability and to build it as a scale showpiece that looks as good on the ground as it does in the air

It will be powered by a K140G

I have started drawing some decals and printed them on plain paper just to check the scale
crasha is offline Find More Posts by crasha
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2013, 07:21 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,103 Posts
Is there vector thrust in that pipe?

Very cool regardless. Post up more pics as you build
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Oct 15, 2013, 07:40 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2011
285 Posts
The pipe is the standard JL pipe that comes with the kit. I will use it at first and maybe add vectoring later

I would also like to add a smoke system later on as well

The plan is to build the jet and test fly to work out any bugs before going to all the trouble of painting it and adding the decals and scale details

The first thing I modded was the gears. The JL F-22 has some of the toughest gears available but I am not a huge fan of pnuematic gear so I have converted them to LADO electrics

The front LADO dropped straight in. The mains took some work and I had to fabricate mounting brackets for the actuators.

The gears were tested by holding a leaf blower on them and they work perfectly

The gear doors will be servo actuated and sequenced through my tx
Old Oct 15, 2013, 07:53 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2011
285 Posts
Since this jet is being built for static display as well as flying I am planning to use a rotary drive system to remove the very unscale pushrod setup on the flight controls

Here are some pics of the proposed geometry. If there are any RDS experts out there who see a problem please chime in!

The radius of the bends in the RDS rods will dictate the control throw. I will bend the rods to suit each surfaces required throw. This also provides full sevo resolution

Bends of 30 degrees will actually double the available stall torque of the servo!

The smaller the bend radius the more torque available

The rudders and flaps use 25kg servos and the ailerons 5kg servos so with RDS they will be equivalent to 50kg and 10kg servos
Old Oct 15, 2013, 01:07 PM
Tempus Fugit
United Kingdom, England, Royston
Joined Jul 2013
433 Posts
Nice model , nice build look forward to seeing finished
A130STB is offline Find More Posts by A130STB
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2013, 03:29 PM
plane crasher extrordinaire
United States, IL, Waukegan
Joined Sep 2012
376 Posts
subscribed. cant wait to see it.
microairman1 is offline Find More Posts by microairman1
Old Oct 21, 2013, 09:52 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,782 Posts
Be very careful on the rudder. Many of these have crashed with rudder flutter. Jetlegend and yellow F22s have both come apart. Use the biggest servo you can fit. I used 8711 on my rudders.

I have the yellow F22 and I also built it as scale as possible but I opted for the big control horns for better mechanical advantage.

The K140 will push it around ok but suffer in the vertical some but still fly well.

Rallie from taylormade decals has dry transfers for this scale already. They look great!

Tam has a pipe for these and its allot better then the stock JL pipe and also has the thrust vectoring. The thrust vectoring is a must have for the F22

How are you going to paint it? I used metallic paints on mine to give it that sheen that the real raptor has.

Good luck with the build.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:56 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
592 Posts
Subscribed!
Castel101 is offline Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:28 AM
Tempus Fugit
United Kingdom, England, Royston
Joined Jul 2013
433 Posts
Gunradd nice build there very realistic.
A130STB is offline Find More Posts by A130STB
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2013, 09:22 PM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2011
285 Posts
Thanks to everyone for your encouragement!

I am at the most critical stage of the build gluing in the formers which hold the wing/stab/fin/engine mounts. It is a huge job trying to line everything up to get the formers in the right place. As the old saying go's...measure twice, cut once. This is more like....measure a thousand times, glue once!

Thanks Gunnrad for your advice....Your F-22 looks amazing!!!!!

I am well aware of the rudder problems. There are 2 guys at our club with JL F-22's. Both were ARF's

One of the guys is the inspector who will be certifying this jet when it is built. He had flutter on his jet which was traced to the fin mount bolts not being correctly toqued from the factory.. Fortunately his survived with only a burnt out rudder servo

I will be building a mockup of the RDS system to test it and compare to the standard setup before I commit to RDS. Rudder and flap servos are Hitec HS-7955 titanium gear and 8711's for tailerons. The RDS couplers I am using are designed for Hitec servos

I have been searching through plastic scale model forums for paint ideas and was planning on using some metallic in the grey as you have done to get the "raptor sheen"

Decals will be made using decal pro

I will post some pics when I have some visual progress!!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 03:42 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
Great Idea about electric retract can you specify the work to the mains
dmg0044 is offline Find More Posts by dmg0044
Old Nov 22, 2013, 08:48 PM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2011
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg0044 View Post
Great Idea about electric retract can you specify the work to the mains
The main gear air rams attach at the bottom of the ram to the retract unit. Lado actuators are designed to replace air rams that are attached at the top

To fit the to the raptor I had to fabricate aluminium mount plates which attach to the side of the lado actuator using M3 bolts. The aluminium plates are shimmed using washers to get just the right clearance to attach them to the retract unit

It took a bit of trial and error to get the geometry right but it now works perfectly

The lado actuator fitted straight into the nose retract. It only took 10 minutes to mod the nose gear
Old Nov 23, 2013, 06:32 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,103 Posts
Lookin' good !!

Since our season's are opposite (Getting cold where I'm at).... will you get it done before your flying season ends?
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Nov 23, 2013, 07:03 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2011
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
Lookin' good !!

Since our season's are opposite (Getting cold where I'm at).... will you get it done before your flying season ends?
Thanks Doc!

Since our flying season never ends I may just finish the F-22 before it does!!

We live on the coast near the edge of a desert. The weather is similar to Phoenix AZ but opposite time of year. Most flying is done mid year when it is cooler but we fly through summer when it is not too windy or hot.

We have a few jet events in May so hopefully I will be able to maiden it around then. I will do the paint and decals after test flying

I have spent the last week jigging up the wings and stabs to mount the attaching hardware.....that was a big job!

Next up I will add strategic glass/carbon reinforcement before gluing in all the formers

Starting to think of using conventional hardware for the flight controls as it will speed up the build and is a known quantity
Old Nov 23, 2013, 09:09 AM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
2,940 Posts
Good to see a build on here. Nice job so far crasha.

Subscribed
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Im selling my 220mph jet