Old Aug 09, 2013, 01:30 PM
Depron Daz
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Feb 2012
1,114 Posts
Question
Hobby King 1650mm Sport Scale Spitfire

Hi guys.

I just bought this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...50mm_ARF_.html and await delivery to go along side my 1450mm FMS P51, and my Blenheim MkIV, but does anyone else have this plane in their collection? If so, I have a few Q's I hope someone can answer for me please. This will be all electric, probably 5s swinging a 14" or 15" twin bladed prop.

1. I plan on pulling off the covering in order to change the colour, unless what is on there can take paint, if so what would be the best way to paint it and with what type???
2. What are the mech retracts like? Is it best to whip them out for servoless electric ones, and if so what size?
3. Do you know the actual CG location?
4. Are there any bad pit-falls with this plane?

Many thanks and kind regards

Daz
Daz393 is offline Find More Posts by Daz393
Last edited by Daz393; Aug 17, 2013 at 12:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2013, 08:54 AM
Guntalingen, Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
259 Posts
looks to me like a World Models Spitfire with a differently colored covering. If so it should fly very nice, can't answer your questions though. All the assembly manuals to their planes including control throws and c/g are on their website for downloading, the spit is here http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/i...n/pdf/A127.pdf
Lorenz
flyyyer is offline Find More Posts by flyyyer
Last edited by flyyyer; Aug 11, 2013 at 06:52 AM. Reason: assembly manual addition
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:03 AM
Depron Daz
Joined Feb 2012
1,114 Posts
Thanks Lorenz
Old Aug 14, 2013, 04:04 PM
Depron Daz
Joined Feb 2012
1,114 Posts
The Spitfire arrived today, so I will be unpacking it all shortly and checking it over carefully. My idea is to try and go scale on this one, possibly including a cockpit, possibly making it retractable canopy, total re-cover or repaint too.

More to follow!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 05:20 PM
Depron Daz
Joined Feb 2012
1,114 Posts
Well, I have unpacked it all, and for the price you really cannot go wrong! It is covered well but then they have just thrown the airbrush over it with overspray everywhere! YUK!!!!! I will try acrylic paint over what is already there and see how it takes it.

The covering is very well done and the actual build quality is of a good level. Clearly it is built for a 2 or 4 stroke engine, so I will have to cut open a battery hatch in the nose section, but there is loads of room in there. I will need to make an electric motor mount but that shouldn't be an issue. All of the surfaces are pre-mounted but will be checked carefully. It has typical HK cheap mechanical retracts thrown in the kit, but these will be replaced with electric servo-less retracts.

The only real down issue is the canopy. It is a cheap nasty flimsy semi transparent plastic that is just screaming to go straight in the bin. Why oh why HK have you gone to all of the effort to make a decent airframe and then spoil it with this junk canopy???? Fortunately due to the size of this plane I should be able to make a much better scaled aluminium framed canopy.

Once I start the conversion I will post some pics for your delectation!