HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2013, 07:40 AM
Joined Mar 2013
294 Posts
Discussion
Rewinding a Couple of Big Inrunner Motors..

Hi

I Started a thread and i thout that it would start a good inrunner rewinding discussion, but it was mostly my fault because i should have starte the thread with more tecknical data.
So hopefully this can help me and many others learn rewinding a bigger inrunner motor, because i havent find even one site on the net which could help people WHO want to do this.

So Please if you want to add anything to this thread its got to be something which can help others with your data. Simple as possible.

Thank you.
FriFlyers is offline Find More Posts by FriFlyers
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2013, 07:57 AM
Joined Mar 2013
294 Posts
Ok I find this thread. There are also some others on
RCGROUPS ( Our Seavier ) i will find them and put them here if i find it helpfull to this thread.
it finds out for you how you could rewind your stators.

http://www.bavaria-direct.co.za/mode...Calculator.htm

I am just not shore that Works for the Inrunner motors too, but until now i am 90% shore that whhow at you rewind a outrunner motor you can do the same on Inrunner.
So if there is anyone WHO knows anything about this please share, thank you.

And a very good Learning experience before i start for me was
http://www.southernsoaringclub.org.z...-motors-3.html
There is another turn calculator on rcgroups

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1062406

Sry Guys if my English is not that good...

An important site for learning

http://www.southernsoaringclub.org.z...-motors-3.html
Last edited by FriFlyers; Jul 08, 2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2013, 08:58 AM
Joined Mar 2013
294 Posts
Something very interesting. I am going to use this side, which actially can calculate all the way to 36 stator theth, and i have been drawing some stators by my self and i think that this site is right on. SO if you have a Stator and you are not shore how you want to rewind your motor use this Calculations and remember to offer Prayings to thoes WHO has made it so easy for us all

http://i.caendle.de/dev/test2/

I saw this video, well it doesnt really help That much on rewinding, but it helps you understand how the motor Works, and the fact that Inrunner and Outrunner motors are rewinded similarely.

Brushless DC Motors & Control - How it Works (Part 2 of 2) (7 min 23 sec)

and some more if you like to look around

http://184.106.195.250/emetor.php

http://i.caendle.de/dev/test2/
Last edited by FriFlyers; Jul 09, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:12 PM
Joined Mar 2013
294 Posts
As you know there are a few factors which decide the shape of your rewind, and one of the important ones is the number of magnets.
This rewind is calculated with the web address at the top. The number of magnets are 6 and as you can see there are 36 stator theth..
Other information coming soon, like the lenght of the wire and so on....
Last edited by FriFlyers; Jul 12, 2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 06:11 PM
Inspiration
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Aug 2011
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriFlyers View Post
As you know there are a few factors which decide the shape of your rewind, and one of the important ones is the number of magnets.
This rewind is calculated with the web address at the top. The number of magnets are 6 and as you can see there are 36 stator theth..
Other information coming soon, like the lenght of the wire and so on....
For optimum operation, to couple with 36N stator, you need 12P for a distributed winding, or 36N34P, 36N38P(both for high winding factor and low cogging), 36N42P, 36N30P (both for dLRK type windings or double-layer winding; a single-layer winding will yield highest winding factor among all concentrated windings, or an LRK type). or 36N24P, 36N48P for ABC type concentrated windings.
modisc is offline Find More Posts by modisc
Old Jul 13, 2013, 06:47 AM
Joined Mar 2013
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modisc View Post
For optimum operation, to couple with 36N stator, you need 12P for a distributed winding, or 36N34P, 36N38P(both for high winding factor and low cogging), 36N42P, 36N30P (both for dLRK type windings or double-layer winding; a single-layer winding will yield highest winding factor among all concentrated windings, or an LRK type). or 36N24P, 36N48P for ABC type concentrated windings.
Hi Modisc

Thank you for the response. I do think that anything over 12p is just to much for a inrunner, and i do think that the first part of your sentence is in agreement with what i have had in my mind.

So what do you thinnk about this one ?
Last edited by FriFlyers; Jul 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 01:24 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,150 Posts
Inrunner or outrunner makes no difference in winding. That's a classic pattern and you can't do any better than a winding factor of unity, so it's good choice. Winding choice is a compromise of winding factor, cogging, and end turn loss.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:24 PM
Joined Mar 2013
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz View Post
Inrunner or outrunner makes no difference in winding. That's a classic pattern and you can't do any better than a winding factor of unity, so it's good choice. Winding choice is a compromise of winding factor, cogging, and end turn loss.

Greg
Hi Gkamysz

Yes i agree completly but there is one factor, on a outrunner motor you could go up with the magnet Count, but in a inrunner you really dont have the same option, and i am not shore how effektice motor you will get ?
That is why i think that i will try not to have morethan 12 magnets, and hopefully i will find a way to attach a couple of them together for more magnetic power
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:34 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,150 Posts
You can and it has been done, it's just not common. The difference in application of in and out runners usually determines this.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Jul 16, 2013, 04:07 PM
Joined Nov 2007
858 Posts
The last winding you posted is the standard way auto alternators are wound. They typically have five turns and when converted to a motor have a Kv of about 100. To get a higher Kv requires fewer turns which does not work very well. To get any power from a 100 Kv motor requires a voltage of 100 to 300 volts which is not cheap.

In any case it is very hard to rewind an in-runner with a wave winding, if you actually do get it wound you are much better then any one else on these forums. The end result will be the same as any junk alternator you can get at a junkyard for a few dollars.

Before you waste expensive wire you could try doing a rewind with string to see how hard it is.
mjsas is offline Find More Posts by mjsas
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Mar 2013
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsas View Post
The last winding you posted is the standard way auto alternators are wound. They typically have five turns and when converted to a motor have a Kv of about 100. To get a higher Kv requires fewer turns which does not work very well. To get any power from a 100 Kv motor requires a voltage of 100 to 300 volts which is not cheap.

In any case it is very hard to rewind an in-runner with a wave winding, if you actually do get it wound you are much better then any one else on these forums. The end result will be the same as any junk alternator you can get at a junkyard for a few dollars.

Before you waste expensive wire you could try doing a rewind with string to see how hard it is.
Hi mjsas

Thank you for the very incouraging Words! Brother .
I have rewind a few motors in my time and i could rewind a motor where every other people said it couldnt be done, like having a double wire 12 turn in a stator whrere others had problem having 10 turns on, it had its problems like f.example i had alot of pain in my hands when i was finished, but that motor i had the best fun with, because it was small, but powerfull, and if i wanted to buy a motor from a shop with the same power i had to go up in weight...
I had a look Again at the stator you mentioned and i think i have put the wrong Picture there !? sorry about that. I will change it as soon as i can.
I will probobly rewind the motor as a Dlrk and i will use all the thouth, as that Means more copper/more power.
My motor will have a all new housing, and the router will be as heavy as possible so it act some like a ..................(cant remember the name)
Anyway i changed the thread so we could usefull to others around the World WHO want to rewind, and learn something from this thred, so if you have anything interesting you are very welcome to add.
I havent had time to Calculate yet, that comes as soon as i find me some time, but i find this and i hope it gives a good Picture in what is going on inside an inrunner...

Thank you

obs!!
I had a look at a couple of posts and now i understand what you mean . No that is not the same way a Car Alt. is rewinded at all. I am trying to rewind a Inrunner Brushless motor, and i am hoping for that i can easily get around and hopefully Over 300-400 cc out of that thing. Now that Means that i have to put one or two alt. stators together, and in this week hopefully i am going to do that. What i am in need of is time
Last edited by FriFlyers; Jul 17, 2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:11 PM
Joined Nov 2007
858 Posts
Here are some pictures of a large inrunner.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=honda+hybrid
mjsas is offline Find More Posts by mjsas
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:33 PM
Inspiration
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Aug 2011
885 Posts
I may have some idea where to get good but cheap magnets. Try looking for used or burnt or damaged disc servo motor. These are mostly 18N20P outrunners, from which you can get some really good magnets. I have bought two a few month back while I was home. I was actually planning to remove the magnets from the rotors for other use.
modisc is offline Find More Posts by modisc
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:14 AM
Joined Mar 2013
294 Posts
hi ....
Last edited by FriFlyers; Aug 12, 2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 02:19 AM
Joined Mar 2013
294 Posts
I have been away and just came back. I just wanted to say hi to everyone interested...