HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2013, 01:39 PM
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Discussion
Micro-quad noob, they beat FP toys hands down

I finally got a micro-quad, a Hubsan micro, or an RC Heliguy, it's other name.

What beats the hell out of me Balr, is how they outperform any helicopter I have ever flown, in wind. I mean, I am talking completely outperform. Now the 120SR, is a decent FP in wind, but this thing is half the weight and beats it. I know it's down to the physics and aerodynamics, but yeah, you were right about how good these things are, I must say. Very addictive.

(Got to admit, a bit bored with helicopters. Probably because I could never afford a good one (CP), Lol.
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2013, 01:41 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,691 Posts
Took you long enough!
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 12, 2013, 01:46 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Hahaha, I know, I have been messing with a nitro-truck my friend gave me for ages, which is like pulling teeth but I love the sound of the engines. I had kind of lost interest in flying.

Here is a picture, as you can see, I fit on top of it quite easy, I just need a seatbelt of some sort. I apologize for my bald head but as you can see, I am very happy..

Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:19 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,087 Posts
Yeah , I have 2 FP micro's , and the quad just leaves them in the dust ...

Anyone wanting into the hobby ( helicopters ) , id say go quad .. And then see what you want to try next .. Going from quad to heli is a step sideways , but it will prepare you , and probably a better move for those starting from scratch ..
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
Old Apr 14, 2013, 09:24 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Good point, I wish I could have gotten my hands on one of these as a starter, instead of the old route, of a coaxial-nightmare.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:13 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,691 Posts
No need to apologize for a bald head, "bald is beautiful"!

It looks like you put something on the ends of the motors to protect them? I've been thinking of buying one of those Hubsan quads, but I wasn't sure about the motors. I had a Walkera Ladybird and the motors were trashed in a few weeks from landing on a cement floor. Anyway, I need something small to fly indoors. Weather has been miserable (rain, snow, wind and cold) every day and it doesn't look like it's going to get any better for a least a few weeks. By then the ground should nothing but mud. I already have standing water all around my yard. I've been flying my MSR but it doesn't fly so good any more, it's 5 years old and getting quite worn and patched. I've tried flying my MQx in the house, but it's kind of big for flying in a small area. My other micros are worse yet. I've had a total of 4 chances to fly my Phantom quad outdoors since I bought it 2 months ago. Worst damn late winter/spring I can remember!
Last edited by Balr14; Apr 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 02:29 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Sorry it's been that way Balr, my RC-woes have been similar! That nitro is great but they are 90% getting your hands dirty, 10% fun.

Yes, I have put some pieces of rubber at the bottom of the motors, just to protect them a little bit and below the rotors, little pieces of aerial tubing, so if the rotors strike the ground the motor-shafts won't get pushed down, breaking the motors, which can happen. You know me with the mods for durability, my 120Sr was littered with glue-soaked thread on every part that could break. Lol

All I can say is the same as other reviewers have said about the Hubsan. I have heard others who have owned the various ladybirds and bugs, Lol, and they don't come close. The Hubsan out-performs them. Here is a good video of it's performance, and indoors, it is fun too. They're are brilliant, although I haven't owned it long enough to qualify as being able to give a proper review.

Like he says on the video, "really pretty neat."

Hubsan X4 Micro Quadcopter Outdoor flying. (7 min 31 sec)

(I'm not really bald, but my inner child is.
Last edited by Microbaba; Apr 14, 2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 02:34 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
There is dual rates, but you can set the percentages for aileron, rudder, elevator, so you can have it on expert mode which can flip it, or on normal mode, and set your own percentages of cyclic input. And 2.4gigz with a decent range, TX runs on 4 AAAs, and all this for 35 new or about $70 RTF if you can find a place to buy them. My place was an Ebay shop in the UK.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:52 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,691 Posts
Wow, grass and green trees. Obviously, not any where near here!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:20 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:36 AM
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2013
87 Posts
I'm finally going to order the V949 next week. I can't wait to get it.
Quickdraw62 is offline Find More Posts by Quickdraw62
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:17 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Not as good as Hubsan!!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:20 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,691 Posts
The Hubsan is really small and quick, easy to lose outdoors. The V949 is bigger, a little tamer and if you need parts, they are compatible with the Blade MQx, at your local hobby store, in the USA.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 09:36 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
I might get one in the future.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:07 PM
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2013
87 Posts
I wanted the bigger quad just because the eyes ain't what they used to be. Plus as Balr said, it's a little slower. That's the other thing that ain't what it used to be... my reflexes....lol
Quickdraw62 is offline Find More Posts by Quickdraw62