HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:53 AM
United Kingdom, England, Guildford
Joined Nov 2012
60 Posts
Question
Kit build for a friend. Which to go for?

I have a friend who would perhaps like to build a kit with me.
(More like he buys the parts and I do the building. But that is just what I need)

He has two things he fancies. A glider or a Japanese Zero.
The glider because he likes technicall flying, but I think he underestimates the simplicity of gliders. (We both never flew any) Most don't even have ailerons.
I looked at and like these:
OLY II S-X http://www.skybench.com/index.html?h...com/sloly.html
West Wings Lancer 100" http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1755372

Or, and that is what I think would suit better is a decent size Zero. A Zero is his dream model.
And they have Flaps and Ailerons. To suit his technical fancy.
I have never build a scale model. But I suppose if the kit is done well, that is no problem.
The problem is, I could not find any on the net. Has anyone seen any? I can see balsa/ply based ARTF models, which gives me hope.

Sorry to bother you with my ramblings. But perhaps someone has some inspiration for me. We are both not very seasoned pilots. But he has certainly outgrown his AXN Floater Foamie.
DeepThought is online now Find More Posts by DeepThought
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:33 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,061 Posts
The OlyII is an EXCELLENT first kit build and will fly as good as any of them! Go with it....and tell Ray Hayes, "Hi" from me .

I've solo'ed many new glider pilots with an Oly II in ONE DAY - and that was before they had simulators.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Is it possible to lose weight?
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:31 PM
United Kingdom, England, Guildford
Joined Nov 2012
60 Posts
Hm, this topic took a interesting twist.
I mentioned to him that these days not all kits are as complicated and labour intensive as the Telemaster I'm building right now and I showed him the Telemaster Deluxe kit.
Now he wants one of those, and he wants to build it himself.
Good on him I guess. Not a bad choice. But I was so looking forward doing another build though.

Anyway. The Oly II is still a neat plane. Perhaps I will build it for myself...

PS: If we can find a Zero kit I'm sure he would be over the moon still.
DeepThought is online now Find More Posts by DeepThought
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:45 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,556 Posts
Build twice

You answered your own dilema...
Building with a friend is the best,if you're compatible..

Don Leedom and I built for twenty years before he passed on...It's a lot of fun,and you can bounce off each other.Help is there if you need it,and you participate in TWO builds,getting to enjoy both of them.

Go for your glider,help him with the Telly. The best of both worlds.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member