HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:08 AM
United States
Joined May 2012
201 Posts
Question
Lightwieght covering film for hinges?

I'm almost ready to cover my Alien Aircraft Stearman kit and wondering if lightweight covering such as Microlite or Parklite can be used for hinging control surfaces the way Monocote is used on heavier planes. I've used various types of tape such as Scotch Magic Tape and packing tape on foamies with good results, but since the lite covering material is so much thinner, will it hold up over time?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Alan
FliegenFrosch is offline Find More Posts by FliegenFrosch
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:47 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,556 Posts
I think it's proprtionately about the same strength...I assume you're covering both sides....lay the moveable surface 180 deg on the mating area, install the 'hinge' then fold over and do the other side....should be fine,better if electric,with less vibration.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:40 AM
Joined Jan 2010
910 Posts
The covering will be plenty strong; it's super flexible and the loads are distributed over a wide area. I would be worried about adhesion, though. Microlite doesn't stick all that tenaciously, in my experience, and I would be worried about it peeling up after a bit of use.
machinate is offline Find More Posts by machinate
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:47 AM
United States
Joined May 2012
201 Posts
Thanks for the info. I had guessed that the film is plenty strong but if it doesn't permanently stick to balsa, then that causes me some concern for using it as hinges. But of course, I always have the option of using Scotch Magic Tape or packaging tape as I have used on foamie planes for several years with no problems. Wouldn't use those tapes directly on balsa but it adheres to covering]
very well.

One last option would be to just cut slots and use nylon or CA hinges.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:45 PM
Kirkland, WA USA
Joined Mar 2001
449 Posts
I have used floppy disks and cut them directly into the aileron and the plane wings and a little CA for it. Works great.
Randy G is offline Find More Posts by Randy G
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:51 PM
United States
Joined May 2012
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G View Post
I have used floppy disks and cut them directly into the aileron and the plane wings and a little CA for it. Works great.
Randy, when you say "cut them directly into the aileron and the plane wings", does that mean cutting slots and inserting floppy disk material? The reason I want to use covering film or tape is that the tail planes are made of 1/8" balsa and the last time I tried slotting in thin balsa, I ended up with blood all over a previously perfect airframe. Thanks for the tip.

Alan
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:25 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,191 Posts
> Microlite doesn't stick all that tenaciously...

Strange how different people's experiences can be. I used it on my last two models and found it to stick very tenaciously to both balsa and itself.

With my Martian Spaceship, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=15 I carry the model, and launch it, by holding onto the front "fin", which is a piece of 2.5mm depron glued on edge to a 1/8" balsa stringer, with two layers of Microlite in between. Still rock solid after dozens of flights and a lot of not-too-gentle handling.

On my Dandy, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=22 I used it for hinging the rudder and elevator, and it also worked perfectly in that application. The Dandy is a very small model, but I'll be using the same system on a much larger one I'm building at the moment.

Maybe different colors behave differently. I've used only silver and dark blue.

But bascally, I'm very happy with the material and will use it again wherever I can.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D