HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:31 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,042 Posts
New Product
Model Plane Foam

OK, this will interest only those of us who scratch-build foamies.
3 good guys who are active on the Foamies (Scratchbuilt) forum are gearing up to sell their product outside the USA.
It is, "... premium extruded polystyrene foam specifically designed for the "foamie"aircraft model builder. It is 24"x48"x1/4" (6mm), 2 lb/cuft density, smooth, flat, unperforated, unskinned and white in color."
They have found out that the shipping price can be kept in hand with a bit of cutting and re-boxing.
Check out Post 1850 at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...33245&page=124
Pricing is not final yet but if you are interested it would be good if we can indicate what interest there is in Oz.
The product can be seen at http://www.modelplanefoam.com/
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:33 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
352 Posts
Wouldnt it be nice to muck around with designs and not stress about how much money you are wasting if it fails, i know, i have just thrown out two airframes and the foam wasnt cheap, lately i have been considering i should just stick with what has been done, but i really enjoy designing - just not the cost of decent foam. I was using depron but it is too expensive so now i have a pile of flimsy epp. This MPF would be great if the price is too good to pass up.
micka80ella is offline Find More Posts by micka80ella
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:15 AM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,529 Posts
We can cut you extruded polystyrene foam to whatever size you need, but we can only get blue or yellow.
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:18 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPER View Post
We can cut you extruded polystyrene foam to whatever size you need, but we can only get blue or yellow.
What sort of prices are we talking to post to QLD?
micka80ella is offline Find More Posts by micka80ella
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:43 AM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,529 Posts
Postage to Qld would be about $15 for the same size sheets.
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:00 AM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,212 Posts
I was about to get a load depron for a busy year old building next year so I am interested in an alternative.

Can you fill us in on the advantages/disadvantages of this foam V depron.

I've built several of Ken's designs from depron and they always work out tail heavy due to the difference in weight of foam.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,042 Posts
I've always thought Depron was way overpriced here in Oz, so I have not ever used it.
I do know it's brittle stuff and prone to cracking, but it has a smooth surface and is fairly stiff, and is available in a good range of sheet thicknesses.
Model Plane Foam is nowhere as brittle and in fact it can be easily formed, curved or rolled into all manner of shapes. It's only available in 6 mm thickness, but that is ideal for all the planes that have designed for building from Fan Fold Foam.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:17 PM
n00bie
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2012
15 Posts
If I understand it correctly, one has to get a full box minimum to get it shipped to oz?

What about those who want just couple of sheets (3-4) ?
rajb3125 is offline Find More Posts by rajb3125
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,042 Posts
Then you just grab 3 or 4 sheets from your full box.
The next time you need a sheet or two you grab them from the box.
It's great to have stock on hand. You never know when the desire to build will strike.
The thing is that shipping prices are pretty stupid. It costs about the same to ship 2 sheets or 27 sheets.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:48 AM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
4,956 Posts
What did the shipping work out to be whiskers?

I'm a big fan of depron, I actually like the strength of it. And once you learn its characteristics can be formed quite nicely. However it is pretty pricey.

From what I can gather though, the sheets would be 40 inches by 8 inches? That's not a great size. I'd rather it was 32x12. Much less butting pieces together to cut parts out. Anyway, if it works out to about $100a box including shipping it might be worth it!
aerophilia is online now Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:22 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,042 Posts
The shipping will be $50
I have been told the total price is not decided yet, though I understand the boxes have been ordered.
I imagine, although it's just a guess, that the price will be a bit under $A 100
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:28 AM
Australia
Joined Aug 2009
238 Posts
Hey whiskers, is there any Aus suppliers they we can mail order foam from.
The old suppliers threads are getting a bit long in the tooth, so thought I'd check.
I'm sick of trying to get the paper off this darn poster board stuff i got from Eckersly's last week while on the coast! Great foam, but a bitch to get the paper off.
Is there any EPP available in Aus yet? Unfortunately I am in Roma QLD now, so can't just run down the street any more and grab more poster board.
The guys at Mr Toys in Kawana said they could get me some foam, but I didn't take it any further as I was heading home.

Is lIttle Mountain, Caloundra? if so I was staying just around the corner from you in Palmview at the olds last week.

Cheers
dngo is offline Find More Posts by dngo
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:36 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,042 Posts
Yup, Little Mountain is the high country just inland from Caloundra.
The Model Plane Foam guys in the USA have the "Export" boxes in house and are almost ready to cut and ship.
This is not EPP but is Extruded Polystyrene optimized for foamie building.
I'll check and report on progress.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:15 PM
Australia, VIC, Carrum Downs
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
Hm, wonder why we wouldn't be able to order the 24x48 sheets to Australia, I guess the boxes might be just to big?
Still, 8x40 is a very odd size to work with :s

If it overall price is decent, this would be great stuff to work with still, everything else in Australia is just so expensive or rubbish lol.

*edit*
Never-mind, after a little reading found out they had to use that size so shipping company would use actual weight, and not some over prices sized pricing method.

Would be fun to do some building, even at $100 a box, would come out to about $3 a sheet, compared to $7-8 a sheet I've been able to find around other places in Australia.
mdem is offline Find More Posts by mdem
Last edited by mdem; Jan 05, 2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:48 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,042 Posts
I'll be talking to Mike (Springer) om Monday morning and I'll find out where its all at.