HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:55 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,575 Posts
Thanks Pete, but I am certainly not one to set standards by. Besides you (and others) have done more than your share on improving these birds! I never did finish purtying up my Dr.I...hope to get back to that soon! Also, my original Dr.I (which was to be used for the gear) just keeps on going without mishap =)

I really didn't notice that the vertical stab/rudder were very far off scale...at least they are not as offensive as the rudder on the Dr.I. Not as familiar with the Nieuport as I am with the Dr.I and Albatros.

The only things I can think of that I may change are maybe some slightly larger wheels, a slightly larger pilot (Dr.I pilot is much too big) and the addition of a Lewis gun on the wing...and some simple detailing.
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:22 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,575 Posts
Almost forgot my flight report...

The winds were still around 10mph, which isn't too much for these birds. Maybe on the edge. But, it was rather turbulent! The plane was getting knocked around everywhere!

Despite the conditions, I got two good 10 minute flights in using my older Flyzone batteries. The CG seemed to be very good out of the box (without pilot). Stall characteristics...well...even though it was gusty...it just didn't want to stall! I cut the throttle at different speeds and it just wanted to glide. I tried this with the plane sharply banked, against, with and across the wind...it just righted itself and started its glide...very pleased!

I will need to try this again on a not so windy day to see just how slow it can fly. I feel that it may not fly under power as slow as my Dr.I...but it shouldn't just fall out of the sky like the Dr.I when the throttle is chopped. Crosswinds do not effect the Nieuport as severely as the Dr.I with its three wings. I wish that I could compare it to the Albatros, but my stocker has crushed wings from a collapsed shelf =0

My only dislike is the decals were applied rather sloppily to the wing...LOTS of BIG BUBBLES. I guess this shouldn't bother me since it gives me the right to do a repaint =)

And one small thing to point out is that the battery my be difficult to remove. If it is placed into the battery cut-out with the plug pointing toward the prop, you may need tweezers or needle nose pliers to grab the little tab on the battery in order to pull it out...the cowling is in the way. I did notice that the battery lead was pretty long, so the battery could possibly be placed with the connector pointing to the rear. There could be some mention concerning this in the manual...but I haven't managed to do have a peek yet...
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:10 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,575 Posts
Managed a flight today with almost zero wing this evening...unfortunately it began to sprinkle a bit so I had to pack up and go.

I am really pleased with this new Flyzone Nieuport...looks great in the air!

Now I need to order those parts so I can make one that looks great on the shelf as well!
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:45 AM
United States, ME, West Bath
Joined Sep 2012
53 Posts
Quick question. Does this use the same motor/gear that the other flyzone micros use?

The nieuport parts list on Tower doesn't show the motor or gear. But the other micros do.
dmcMaine is offline Find More Posts by dmcMaine
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:56 AM
Happy fly begin
Joined Aug 2004
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcMaine View Post
Quick question. Does this use the same motor/gear that the other flyzone micros use?

The nieuport parts list on Tower doesn't show the motor or gear. But the other micros do.
No, it does not. Here are the flyzone part numbers--
http://flyzoneplanes.com/parts/flza2040-parts.html

FLZA6254 Flyzone Prop 117x64mm For 1.2mm Output Shaft Type C
FLZA6255 Flyzone Gearbox 5.5:1 Ratio 1.2mm Output Shaft Type C
FLZA6102 Flyzone Motor Brushed 7mm 12000Kv Type A
JimH is offline Find More Posts by JimH
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:08 AM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,575 Posts
Didn't realize the gearbox had changed. looks like they went from a 1mm shaft to a 1.2mm shaft, although it looks like the motor is the same. I wonder if the gearbox is beefier than the old one?
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:05 AM
United States, ME, West Bath
Joined Sep 2012
53 Posts
Thanks.

I just found that parts list in the back of the manual. Go figure.

If you go to tower, and look at the parts list the motor and gearbox aren't listed. But if you search the part numbers they are found.

Yep. It looks like the same motor, but different gearbox.

I'm crossing my fingers that i don't need one. But I handed the controls to my son the other night and in his excitement he forgot up and down, and promptly nosed into the ground. I ordered new props but neglected to order a gearbox. The motor seems fine.
dmcMaine is offline Find More Posts by dmcMaine
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:43 AM
Happy fly begin
Joined Aug 2004
681 Posts
I built mine from the parts list and put a vapor brick in it. I have a lot of HH micros, this is my first from Tower. Had a good, windless weekend with a lot of flights with it. I am impressed with how it flys, but wow this is a noisy gearbox!
I first tried some old 120's for batteries but anything above half throttle was too much for it, hitting LVC. I settled on the horizon 25c 150's and the nano 160's for batteries. Can get 10 minutes of cruising with this setup. The battery bay is small, or my fingers are too fat. Have to use a springhook to pop the battery out.
JimH is offline Find More Posts by JimH
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:02 PM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
654 Posts
Ouch that price is nuts for something I could build in about 3 days. If that had a cheap arf then maybe.
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:19 AM
Fast and getting faster!
Albany County, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,530 Posts
Honestly I think the price is right on with the other micro`s in its class. I got a couple more flights on mine in the past couple weeks, and I am really enjoying it. Hopefully this winter we have a couple of these and a couple Dr1`s and Albatross`s so we can do a little dog fighting at our indoor field!
FASTALJR is offline Find More Posts by FASTALJR
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:49 AM
Captain - Team Hoser
Ottawa, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
179 Posts
For those that have flown this plane, how do you feel it would do in a high school gym? We have our first indoor session tonight and the hobby store is on the way..

Thanks,
Ian
ijames23 is offline Find More Posts by ijames23
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:44 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,575 Posts
Probably too late, but it would be perfect for a high school gym!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:09 PM
Captain - Team Hoser
Ottawa, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
179 Posts
Thanks for the reply! It is never too late to buy a plane although in my experience there are occasions when it is too late to sell an airplane :-)

Turns out some members of our indoor group bought the other models in the series at NEAT this year. No one had this one though. Can't wait to show up with one at the next session.

Thanks again for the feedback. Just wanted to know it wasn't a micro better suited for outdoor use.

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmonkey View Post
Probably too late, but it would be perfect for a high school gym!
ijames23 is offline Find More Posts by ijames23
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:07 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,088 Posts
For those who've built the plane from parts - do the wing set or fuse come with the rudder / elevator pushrods? Control horns? I don't want to buy the pushrods and horns seperately if they come with another part as well.

thanks!
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:47 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,002 Posts
I bought pieces parts. Wings don't come with struts, fuselage doesn't come with pushrods, tail assembly has no control horns.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is online now Find More Posts by JRuggiero