HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:18 PM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
Discussion
E-Flight F-4 Phantom Build/Fly Thread

It has been a long wait for this highly anticipated model. The "anticipation" thread is over 75 pages long. Now that they have actually begun shipping, I thought it would be better to start a new thread for build and flying information so people don't have to wade through the other thread for information.

I picked mine up from my LHS this afternoon. They had 12 pre-orders but only recieved 2. They have no idea how long it will take for the next shipment. I'm really glad I was number 1 on the list.

I plan on doing a fairly stock build.

Stock motor/fan unit, on 6S 5000 maH packs.

E-Flight retracts of course.

I will be doing an 8 channel setup using my JR-11X TX and a Spektrum AR8000 RX.

I will use a Castle ICE 100amp ESC, and a Castle 10amp BEC to power the RX. This is the same setup I have had great success with on my Habu-32.

I guess the biggest change from stock will be my servo choices. I just feel better having metal gear servos on a jet, so I have elected to go with Hitec servos as follows. I will set the BEC to 6 volts for max torque on the servos.

Aileron and Flaps- HS-82MG 47oz/

Rudder - HS-5085MG 60oz I like lots of rudder authority for knife edge and aerobatics so wanted more than the recommended power. After seeing the rudder, it is pretty small, so I am not sure this plane will hold knife or not. I guess we will see after flying. The smaller servo may prove to be enough.

Elevator- This one needs to be strong. I am using the HS-5245MG 76 oz.

Nose Wheel Steering- HS-85mg 49oz. I fly mostly off a fairly rough dirt field so wanted the strength of metal gear here for sure.

I will be happy to share my 11X TX programming for those interested once it is done.

I should start the build this weekend. I encourage anyone else to post their builds, and share questions and answers.

In the mean time here is a picture of the boxes.

Name: F4Box.jpg
Views: 1143
Size: 126.3 KB
Description:
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Last edited by 1bwana1; Apr 26, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:32 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
subbed!!!!
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:38 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,249 Posts
Nice!!
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:58 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
You don't mind I like to share my on here too.
But I had to toss the coin either EDF or P-20 turbine.
If I has second kit that would be easy decission.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:56 PM
Southern Illinois
Joined Nov 2009
44 Posts
subscribed!
heyop is offline Find More Posts by heyop
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:57 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Present!
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:04 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,364 Posts
watching
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:09 PM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets View Post
You don't mind I like to share my on here too.
But I had to toss the coin either EDF or P-20 turbine.
If I has second kit that would be easy decission.
Tam, I encourage you any any others to join this thread. That is what it is for. We can all learn from each other.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:23 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bwana1 View Post
Tam, I encourage you any any others to join this thread. That is what it is for. We can all learn from each other.
Just for the lazy ones can you advise what it would cost to get this bird in the air with stock setup retracts using the gear you have chosen as a base, essentially BNF cost?
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:26 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,028 Posts
P20!! :d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamjets View Post
you don't mind i like to share my on here too.
But i had to toss the coin either edf or p-20 turbine.
If i has second kit that would be easy decission.:d
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:31 PM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
I opened the box and went through the parts. My first impressions are very positive. The plane is nicely finished. I would say a step above my Habu-32 which is a very nice kit. The F-4 is a more complicated plane, so this is even more impressive. I'm thinking the wait for QC issues was worth it.

I have glued the angled wing tips on, The fit is very nice, the seams are tighter than the Habu-32. This appears to be true for the wing to fuse fit as well. The seam is tight, and even, there was a small gap in the Habu-32.

The canopy, and fan compartment hatch are held on by a pin and magnet system. I have experienced problems with magnetic hatches in the past. I prefer to ahve a spring latch as well just for safety. The fit is good, and they snap on pretty tight, so it may be ok. Still, I may add some latches.

The battery compartment is much smaller than on the Habu-32. I'm thinking it will be much more difficult to go with high cell count, high power, setups on this plane than it is with the Habu-32. You won't be able to do it with width or height, so It looks like it will be have to be length. This will probably result in CG issues. I'm sure the clever people out there will find a way.

I may have time to do the hinges on the ailerons, and flaps tonight. We'll see...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:33 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,010 Posts
once i get mine flown i plan on doing some mods not so much for speed but to make it more scale and or different than the rest .
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:39 PM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik View Post
Just for the lazy ones can you advise what it would cost to get this bird in the air with stock setup retracts using the gear you have chosen as a base, essentially BNF cost?
Well, I have been collecting parts during the long wait, so was able to take advantage of some sales, and deals. I think I have all of the parts I need at this point. My receipts so far total $906.69 including the AR800 RX. My guess is that will pretty much be the lower end. I would budget $1,100 to $1,200 as the most likely range.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:43 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
882 Posts
I opened my box and inspected the kit. It looks great but the paint finish on the fuselage has been wet sanded a bit to hide some blemishes. Some of the decals are below the clear coat and look great but some of them are surface mounted stickers and look a little cheap with bubbles under them and wrinkles on the curved areas. I'd say the finish on the Habu 32 fuselage is a little nicer than the F4 but all in all she is a great looking plane and I'm sure people will be excited to see a Phantom at the flying field.

I'll probably get started on my build this weekend or next.
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:52 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,010 Posts
i kinda wish they would have sold some in primer so guys could do a different version with out having to sand the paint off first.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY