HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Jan 2012
377 Posts
Discussion
How long does Temp calibration take?

Hi everyone, I started the temp calibration on my hoverfly pro board. It has been running for 30 minutes already. Is that normal? Also, if it is not, what will happen when I unplug the board or stop the process because it is not working? Thanks Roman
rkenosha is offline Find More Posts by rkenosha
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:40 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,002 Posts
If it takes more than a minute it was not cold enough to start with. I put mine outside on a cold morning and it calibrated very quickly. Not sure about the exact time but I think it was less than a minute.

The HF guys have said that the board has to see a temperature increase in order to calibrate so is you board is already warm in a warm room it can take a long time.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Jul 2011
404 Posts
Are you in a hot place?

It seems the temperature calibration wasn't made for tropical countries like mine. With 97F I couldn't make it pass for over 2 hours.

I followed a suggestion from a member here and used a blow dryer to get it passed. Other way is to turn or the air conditioner wait some minutes and start the test. On both methods it only takes a minute.
Reginak is offline Find More Posts by Reginak
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:12 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,002 Posts
If you are in a hot place you could put it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours than calibrate it. You only needs the boards so you don’t need to put the whole thing in the frig if it won’t fit.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:58 AM
Joined Jan 2012
377 Posts
This morning I woke up to 5 inches of snow. Not the tropics. This is Wisconsin. Anyway. I did get the calibration done. It took only a few minutes. What I need to do is calibrate outdoors. I did the first on my kitchen table. I needed to see how it would work. I am learning to fly indoors. When I clear the snow, I will be outside. Thanks for the replies. Roman
rkenosha is offline Find More Posts by rkenosha
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:31 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2011
220 Posts
I am the member that suggested the hair dryer. If you look at the specs of the chip it actually has a small heater on board that is used to warm the chip so it can build a table of adjustments for each temperature that it sees in flight. If you start out in a warm environment and try to calibrate it won't warm up enough or take forever. On the other hand, if you are in an air conditioned room (or even a room with a fan) that constantly blows on the board, it will never warm up. I first tried to calibrate in an air conditioned room and it never worked. George or al suggested breathing on it with the heat of your breath warming the chip. I did that and the chip would start to calibrate and when I took a breath it would quickly cool (I was under fan in ac house). At that point got trusty blow dryer from wife (she thought I was crazy) and on lowest setting from far away slowly warmed the board during the calibration routine. it worked great. If I was in a really cold climate I would chill it outside first and then bring it in and calibrate it immediately. If it gets stuck along the way add the hair dryer heat to the process. Should work very quickly. 10 to 40 seconds.

Hope this helps.
Dbasileccim is offline Find More Posts by Dbasileccim