HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:32 AM
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Mar 2010
425 Posts
Anyone else using a 14x7 prop? I just picked one up. Another guy at the field has the same plane and recommended it.
the_walrus is offline Find More Posts by the_walrus
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:23 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_walrus View Post
Anyone else using a 14x7 prop? I just picked one up. Another guy at the field has the same plane and recommended it.
I can check with watt meter this evening but that seems like too much for stock ESC
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:34 AM
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Mar 2010
425 Posts
That would be great, thanks.

Justin
the_walrus is offline Find More Posts by the_walrus
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:13 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
Although I dod not feel a lot of vibration the stock adator seems to have a lot of wobble. I have some e-flite and PZ adaptors that fit stock motor shaft (sorry no numbers from memory). Having ability to use off shelf props and less run out seems to be a no brainer!
Also I have tapped all the wing strut and ca bane mounting points to use 3MM button head machine screws, no more little @@### nuts to worry about!
Tim
now that you mention it . after my 6Th or 7th flight one of my cabanes was lose. its a good thing i learned from my first peaks to check the plane over before flight . i had used loctite on them and they still got lose ..

i highly recommend that you guys check over your pitts before flight . it has alot of lttle screws that seem to just wanna escape
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Jan 2007
838 Posts
The prop adaptor from Dynams Waco is made better and runs true.
I still plan on using an adaptor that uses std bore props.
Tim
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:43 AM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
244 Posts
so it seems like the upgrades I need to do are to add wood to the back of the motor mount add rare earth magnets to the battery hatch is there anything else that looks like I need to do
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:47 AM
Joined Jan 2007
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2ner View Post
so it seems like the upgrades I need to do are to add wood to the back of the motor mount add rare earth magnets to the battery hatch is there anything else that looks like I need to do
Fill Void under landing gear plate with scrap balsa and pour epoxy over to seal it in place. I added a piece of balsa strip between wing mounts upper and lower. Extra velcro strap for battery.

Tim
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:55 PM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
Fill Void under landing gear plate with scrap balsa and pour epoxy over to seal it in place. I added a piece of balsa strip between wing mounts upper and lower. Extra velcro strap for battery.

Tim
you have any pics to show me
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Jan 2007
838 Posts
Quote:
will post later tonite, will be from Waco as Pitts stays in truck ready to rock and roll, they are the same in landing gear mount and somewhat similar in wing mount.
Tim
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:29 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2012
27 Posts
Testiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post
Love it ! Maidened the yellow one today.....almost no trim needed. First plane I have ever owned that will do a Knife edge LOOP !! couldn't believe it. I liked the red white and blue one but this one really Rocks. Everyone at the field is amazed at how well it flys.
I can confirm that he's not exaggerating about the way this plane performs...having watched this particular one on numerous flights.
Tango_Romeo is offline Find More Posts by Tango_Romeo
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:32 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango_Romeo View Post
I can confirm that he's not exaggerating about the way this plane performs...having watched this particular one on numerous flights.
Is that You Mr "T"?
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:24 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
875 Posts
Quote:
All the mods you mentioned plus epoxy on gear, secure the aft hatch with pins and pegs if you haven't glued it.
I can attest to the quality of the foam on this plane- flat spin too close to line and people. Took one for safety. Broke wooden prop, folded back gear , slight press on cowl. Epoxied gear at field, changed prop and back in air in 20 mins! Amazing for a foamie. I finally had to change out the tail servos. I was lucky and flew one last flight with a suspected rudder servo (it was centering just fine but I had a feeling). Got down and it was completely stripped! I put TP 90 MGs 14 g in and they seem ok so far. Consider the servo mod to mg, those 17g servos are pretty weak. You may want to do the tail feather stiffening w CF too. See "thread attachments" in the dropdiwn menue for pics of all the mods. Enjoy, hard not to. This thing tracks so well I'm actually practicing IMAC routines with it.
dth7 is online now Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:05 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
All the mods you mentioned plus epoxy on gear, secure the aft hatch with pins and pegs if you haven't glued it.
I can attest to the quality of the foam on this plane- flat spin too close to line and people. Took one for safety. Broke wooden prop, folded back gear , slight press on cowl. Epoxied gear at field, changed prop and back in air in 20 mins! Amazing for a foamie. I finally had to change out the tail servos. I was lucky and flew one last flight with a suspected rudder servo (it was centering just fine but I had a feeling). Got down and it was completely stripped! I put TP 90 MGs 14 g in and they seem ok so far. Consider the servo mod to mg, those 17g servos are pretty weak. You may want to do the tail feather stiffening w CF too. See "thread attachments" in the dropdiwn menue for pics of all the mods. Enjoy, hard not to. This thing tracks so well I'm actually practicing IMAC routines with it.
you got lucky . on my first peaks . the tail servo lasted two flights . . so on my 2nd peaks the first thing i did was change the servos and that is the first thing i recomend people to do.
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:19 AM
electromaniac
pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2004
591 Posts
make shure you check the motor mount !!!! The screws holding my X bracket to the motor were only hand tight and had no loctite at all .
elcamino is offline Find More Posts by elcamino
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:58 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
875 Posts
Yes, definitely the motor mount! The cowl is magnetic with guides top and bottom. Just work it back and forth and it will come off. The crash from my last post would have surely loosened the stock mount setup. I used a ply backing 2 screws through with plenty of epoxy. It was solid post crash !
Re: servos, I was lucky to get a dozen or so hard flying flights in with KE spins and blenders and lots of KE in general before I stripped the stick servos. Change them out too if you can. The peaks doesn't seem to suffer much from a little play in surfaces so I would t go nuts with high end but def use metal gears. When you remove the stock servos cut flush around perimeter with a hobby knife then pull and rock them out. They have a white 2 pice holder that is glued in. That can be removed and reattached to new servos with screws then glued in place. Some people were hacking up the foam but if you do this you won't know they were changed. I used foam glue from another foamy kit (small white tube- not sure but I think it was from Airfield EDF, works nice). Good luck- fly low!
dth7 is online now Find More Posts by dth7