HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2012, 05:35 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avropilot View Post
One is safer than the other bottom line. I have been in this hobby for more than 30 years and have seen just about everything. Does that make me an expert? No. But it has taught me the importance of safety. If you can't understand that there is nowhere else this conversation can go.
To me this is just another way of saying that I'm right and nothing you say can't change my opinion because I know best. I'm not saying that you're wrong about safety and that you've probably know quite a lot about RC. However why would anyone understanding your experience of safety dictating the course of a discussion? What if your counter-part in the discussion had 40 years of RC-experience, would that void your opinion?
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
Last edited by boopidoo; Jan 17, 2012 at 05:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:22 PM
team n00b - captain
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2011
152 Posts
dragonlink RVOSD5 wiring

Anyone with dragonlink (12ch receiver) care to post a pic/diagram of their wiring connections WITHOUT the current sensor??? I reversed polarity on my sensor, and fried it - along with the part of my brain that knows how to connect it ...
gitcho is offline Find More Posts by gitcho
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:44 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitcho View Post
Anyone with dragonlink (12ch receiver) care to post a pic/diagram of their wiring connections WITHOUT the current sensor??? I reversed polarity on my sensor, and fried it - along with the part of my brain that knows how to connect it ...
Gitcho,

Often, if the sensor is fired, only a little trace on the back of the sensor which is intentionally made very very fine get's fried. You could carfully scrap off the solder stop mask on that stop and use a tiny bit of solder to fix this "fuse". If you carefully look at that trace you would see if it's fried or still ok. I hope for you it's fried as this then would mean your sensor is not really gone.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is online now Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:55 PM
team n00b - captain
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2011
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Gitcho,

Often, if the sensor is fired, only a little trace on the back of the sensor which is intentionally made very very fine get's fried. You could carfully scrap off the solder stop mask on that stop and use a tiny bit of solder to fix this "fuse". If you carefully look at that trace you would see if it's fried or still ok. I hope for you it's fried as this then would mean your sensor is not really gone.

HTH

Markus
what if the sensor went up in literal flames the second it connected, the wires frayed from the heat when I tried to disconnect with pliers, and there's large black charring on both sides?

I'll have a look anyway tho ... thx for the tip
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:43 PM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
You can hook 12v to the current sensor port of the osd or you can remove the main battery jumper and hook the 12v in the aux battery port. You will get voltage but no current information. You can still power you cam and transmitter from the osd.
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,717 Posts
Quote:
what if the sensor went up in literal flames the second it connected, the wires frayed from the heat when I tried to disconnect with pliers, and there's large black charring on both sides?

I'll have a look anyway tho ... thx for the tip
Ok, if it happened that way hopes are probably low... Sorry to hear that.

Markus
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:21 PM
team n00b - captain
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2011
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by man2000me View Post
You can hook 12v to the current sensor port of the osd or you can remove the main battery jumper and hook the 12v in the aux battery port. You will get voltage but no current information. You can still power you cam and transmitter from the osd.
yeah - that's what I was trying to figure out ... seems either the RVOSD gets power, or the DL receiver, but not both ... can't find a single picture of a RVOSD5 board connected to a DL receiver either!! (+1 visual aids) ...

thx man2000me ... what u been up to lately? your "kids-to-bed-fpv-easystar" night flying video is still one of my favorites (minus the toes) ... would love to see you do a night FPV video with a ZII ... don't think anyone has done that yet
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:35 PM
team n00b - captain
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2011
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Ok, if it happened that way hopes are probably low... Sorry to hear that.

Markus
lol - yeah, i know ... was being bit of a sarcastic jerk - sorry =)

I really should be thankful that I can help others feel better about themselves. Here's my recent list of accomplishments:
  • crashed trex 550 FBL with SK720 twice (batt ran out) .. broke main frame, skids, tail fin & main blades
  • countless easystar crashes, incl 50-60 ft up in separate neighbour's trees
  • spent a month putting it back together only to crash less than 4 seconds after launch 20ft up into the *only* street lamp pole in the area (my youngest boy enjoyed the view through the goggles)
  • reversed polarity on pretty much every piece of electronics I own: fried video out & usb connector on my gopro ...
  • fried my lawmate 1.2 ghz 1w vtx ...
  • fried a dragon OSD v2 ...
  • fried current sensor on my RVOSD5 ....
  • fried both GPS and baro sensor ...
  • fried *something* on my hi-res sony fpv cam so the colors are funny now ...
I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things ... All this, and I've only had 1 successful FPV flight ...

It's OK though ... I've attached a picture that I think accurately represents my new found purpose in RC.

really not bitter ... trying hard to laugh at myself ... really trying ...
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:14 PM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
I've been good, building my zII right now actually getting ready for the FL meet.

To hook up the RVOSD and DL,

Hook your 12v to the OSD how you choose.
You need to have a ubec power source for the DLrx. the RVOSD does not power it.
What I did since my power in central and my DL is remotely located way out on the wing I plug the UBEC in an open "port" on the osd. I used ppm2 input since I used ppm for control. You just need to run 4 wires from the osd to the DLrx. Since the ubec in powering the "control channel rail" on the osd it will power the servos and rx from the osd. From the DLrx to the osd you will need (if using ppm) red and black (12v power)signal wire (ppm) and rssi wire. This should take care of the wiring side.

Now the programming side.
Power everything up. 12v to the osd and power to the ubec that is plugged into ppm2.

Using you tv remote thingy access the menu.
enable the reciever
enable ppm combined.
Go into the ppm config menu and move the sticks on the rc remote. you should see the numbers move. Move you 3 pos switch and see which numbers move. you will change the assignedment in the osd to aux for this output.
Save config.
Now continue the rest of the setup (hooking up control surfaces and run rc wizard).

Not sure if you have any messaging programs but if you need me to talk you through it I can.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:43 AM
The way of being is doing.
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Ravenna
Joined Apr 2009
414 Posts
Hi,
I would like to know if RVOSD can work with FrSky receiver TFRSP http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowProducts.asp?id=80 and combined PPM ?
The usefulness of this receiver is to be compatible with radio futuba and to have an output-ready for RSSI.
And RSSI input connected to the temp/rssi input in regular mode ?
IMEIV is online now Find More Posts by IMEIV
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:39 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,717 Posts
Quote:
lol - yeah, i know ... was being bit of a sarcastic jerk - sorry =)

I really should be thankful that I can help others feel better about themselves. Here's my recent list of accomplishments:
  • crashed trex 550 FBL with SK720 twice (batt ran out) .. broke main frame, skids, tail fin & main blades
  • countless easystar crashes, incl 50-60 ft up in separate neighbour's trees
  • spent a month putting it back together only to crash less than 4 seconds after launch 20ft up into the *only* street lamp pole in the area (my youngest boy enjoyed the view through the goggles)
  • reversed polarity on pretty much every piece of electronics I own: fried video out & usb connector on my gopro ...
  • fried my lawmate 1.2 ghz 1w vtx ...
  • fried a dragon OSD v2 ...
  • fried current sensor on my RVOSD5 ....
  • fried both GPS and baro sensor ...
  • fried *something* on my hi-res sony fpv cam so the colors are funny now ...
I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things ... All this, and I've only had 1 successful FPV flight ...

It's OK though ... I've attached a picture that I think accurately represents my new found purpose in RC.

really not bitter ... trying hard to laugh at myself ... really trying ...
When I started in RC, 30 years back from now, I soon started with helicopteres. I was the first guy in our club doing that and was young and a wee bit careless. Well, I stopped counting crashes after #50. I haven't given up though and I learned a couple of lessons. But I'm still lazy or unconcentrated at times. So mishaps are no more so frequent but its still enough to once have burnt a whole plane which catched fire after I connected the ESC the wrong way last year, and some crashes also happened because of stupidities like i.e. replacing the aileron servo with another type without checking that it turns the same way round.....

So, you are not alone.

Markus
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:56 AM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMEIV View Post
Hi,
I would like to know if RVOSD can work with FrSky receiver TFRSP http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowProducts.asp?id=80 and combined PPM ?
The usefulness of this receiver is to be compatible with radio futuba and to have an output-ready for RSSI.
And RSSI input connected to the temp/rssi input in regular mode ?
I believe it does work. I don't use it so I'm not 100 percent sure. I think read about it though.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Apr 2009
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by man2000me View Post
I believe it does work. I don't use it so I'm not 100 percent sure. I think read about it though.
Yes, should work... but it would be nice receive an opinion from someone who has tried..
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:57 PM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
406 Posts
I have that receiver and use it with my other OSD, Dragon V2 which accepts only PPM input.
Works very nice.

I haven't used it for RVOSD but I thing it will work nice as well as DOSD. Their working protocol is same.

For RSSI you should put a capacitor between receiver and OSD.

Cheers
Firatp is offline Find More Posts by Firatp
Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Apr 2009
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firatp View Post
I have that receiver and use it with my other OSD, Dragon V2 which accepts only PPM input.
Works very nice.

I haven't used it for RVOSD but I thing it will work nice as well as DOSD. Their working protocol is same.

For RSSI you should put a capacitor between receiver and OSD.

Cheers
Why a capacitor ? I see in this receiver a plug ready for RSSI...