HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:39 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,887 Posts
No problem.... are the stab, elevators and rudder ok? Or did they get damaged also?

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:53 AM
San Antonio,TX
Joined Jan 2010
57 Posts
Had first flight with the 59" last weekend was good after some trimming. Need to increase the expo on low rate for the ailerons and upgrade the battery straps before next flight. I think the servos I'm using are a little faster them what I've been flying with so far.
I'm just using Velcro straps but want to replace with Velcro clinch scripts instead. I just cant seem to get them as tight as I would like around the battery.
pgls421 is offline Find More Posts by pgls421
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:27 AM
Wingman II
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2011
1,193 Posts
Little brother in progress!!
diggity2424 is offline Find More Posts by diggity2424
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:51 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity2424 View Post
Little brother in progress!!
Awesome! Wow, that 104 in the background is HUGE! Loving the graphics
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Discovery Pro Test
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:01 PM
Wingman II
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2011
1,193 Posts
The graphix have turned out very nicely. Thanks to Santi at S8 Grahix. Your right, the 59 next to the 104 makes it look even that much bigger.
diggity2424 is offline Find More Posts by diggity2424
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:16 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,490 Posts
Has anyone tried SFG's or vortexing with their 59" Slick?

Was considering votexing based on the results of the 48" Edge.

Any experience on this airframe?
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:17 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Personally, I prefer the Zippy Flightmax, 40C, for the higher "C" rating, and the weight is really about what you need to balance the plane properly. 4000's will give you more flight time also....

SteveT
+1 on those Zippy's. They seem to perform even better than my GenAce 25C's.

Here is a pic of mine from this weekend at the field.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:44 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielisrael View Post
Has anyone tried SFG's or vortexing with their 59" Slick?

Was considering votexing based on the results of the 48" Edge.

Any experience on this airframe?
No VG on my Slick yet because she is very stable already at harrier, also I have not done any crazy tumbles on her so far, want to fly more as is and thinking about fooling around later.

But, I did install VGs on three of my balsas, GP Ultimate and two Hyperion 3Ds, after reading 48" Edge thread. Due to the weather condition, I only test flew the Ultimate, and the result was amazing! The Ultimate used to wing rock like crazy, but now she flies like my 42" Slick at harrier. But the down side is these VGs reduce the speed and roll rate a lot, which help me practice slow and low. I might try the VGs on the 42" later.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:02 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
No VG on my Slick yet because she is very stable already at harrier, also I have not done any crazy tumbles on her so far, want to fly more as is and thinking about fooling around later.

But, I did install VGs on three of my balsas, GP Ultimate and two Hyperion 3Ds, after reading 48" Edge thread. Due to the weather condition, I only test flew the Ultimate, and the result was amazing! The Ultimate used to wing rock like crazy, but now she flies like my 42" Slick at harrier. But the down side is these VGs reduce the speed and roll rate a lot, which help me practice slow and low. I might try the VGs on the 42" later.
i knew you would like them i was told that some planes you couldnt tell a difference with or without them. i didnt see a reduction in speed and roll rate on my buck 50. i would say that they can effect different wing designs in different ways, but idk. actually on my buck they made rolls seem more precise.

did you install them on the bottom of the planes also?
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:03 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,044 Posts
had a quick question. how does the 51" slick compare to the 59, for you guys that have flown both.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
i knew you would like them i was told that some planes you couldnt tell a difference with or without them. i didnt see a reduction in speed and roll rate on my buck 50. i would say that they can effect different wing designs in different ways, but idk. actually on my buck they made rolls seem more precise.

did you install them on the bottom of the planes also?
No, only the top of both wings on the Bipe. I installed VGs first on main wings and horizontal slab, and then up side of the rudder, the last at cowl and lower side rudder (below the elevator). Test flew her and found each stage improved a little. But the VG on rudder really makes the difference. As I said, now the Ultimately flew like a 42 slick at harrier, which is the second easiest plane to harrier in my fleet (next to 48" EPP extra). I found the 59" is also very easy at harrier, can't see how VGs can improve something already good enough. I just need to get pass the "big investment" fear and fly low!
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:28 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,044 Posts
ive heard of a few guys trying sfgs on their slicks but took them off, said it didnt make a difference.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:29 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
had a quick question. how does the 51" slick compare to the 59, for you guys that have flown both.
The Slick 59 feels bigger and more precise in the air It will draw straighter lines than the 51. That being said, it's bigger frame and increased focus on precison means it looses some of its hucking/nimble characteristics its little brother has. Personally, from a design and flying perspective, I actually prefer the 59. However I think a fair amount of people prefer the way the older 51 flies (bear in mind the 59 is the latest generation four Slick and the 51 is the first generation hence why they're rather different). I will say the one big advantage the 51 has - and this can be applied to any 60" vs 50" debate - is that it can fit in most vehicles fully assembled. Whilst not a big deal if you're just flying at the weekend with plenty of time to spare, if you want to fly after work quickly, the amout if time setting this up and putting it away is fairly significant; probably about 10 to 15 minutes, and this is time you may just not have. But overall they're both awesome!
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Discovery Pro Test
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:17 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
The Slick 59 feels bigger and more precise in the air It will draw straighter lines than the 51. That being said, it's bigger frame and increased focus on precison means it looses some of its hucking/nimble characteristics its little brother has. Personally, from a design and flying perspective, I actually prefer the 59. However I think a fair amount of people prefer the way the older 51 flies (bear in mind the 59 is the latest generation four Slick and the 51 is the first generation hence why they're rather different). I will say the one big advantage the 51 has - and this can be applied to any 60" vs 50" debate - is that it can fit in most vehicles fully assembled. Whilst not a big deal if you're just flying at the weekend with plenty of time to spare, if you want to fly after work quickly, the amout if time setting this up and putting it away is fairly significant; probably about 10 to 15 minutes, and this is time you may just not have. But overall they're both awesome!
Agreed... I have owned both.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:19 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
I will say the one big advantage the 51 has - and this can be applied to any 60" vs 50" debate - is that it can fit in most vehicles fully assembled. Whilst not a big deal if you're just flying at the weekend with plenty of time to spare, if you want to fly after work quickly, the amout if time setting this up and putting it away is fairly significant; probably about 10 to 15 minutes, and this is time you may just not have. But overall they're both awesome!
+1, I actually fly my 42" Slick and 33" Ultimate more because I can fit both in the trunk and a 50" in the back seat of my Saab. But I need to use my wife's SUV to hull my 60" planes during the weekend, which limit my fly time. I plan to get a 51" this summer as a daily flier after work.

Btw, 59 really give me the big plane feel. Even though she is lighter, but feel bigger in the air than my other 60".