HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 29, 2010, 06:11 PM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
bluefisherking,

Where is the CG in relation to the brick in the pictures? I have a bunch of broken wings and some spare bricks and want to give this a shot.

Thanks!
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2010, 06:32 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,446 Posts
Lol

Sorry about rudder and aileron mix up
I have a dx6i so maybe this isn't doable unless I stay non brushed
I might try something anyways to shits and giggles
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 06:35 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,446 Posts
So how does this work with only 2 flaps?
Help learn me here please guys!
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 07:25 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
darksiede's Avatar
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
It's called Elevon mix, the ailerons also act as elevators.. meaning they can both go up/down, or one up one neutral, one down one neutral.. etc etc.. the ailerons & elevator are mixed together to give pitch & roll control.. rudder doesn't exist, so you literally bank the wing, then yank the elevator control on the TX to "Bank & yank" it through a turn.

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:05 PM
Registered User
bluefisherking's Avatar
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
bluefisherking,

Where is the CG in relation to the brick in the pictures? I have a bunch of broken wings and some spare bricks and want to give this a shot.

Thanks!
Hi UNGN,

I have the CG almost exactly halfway between the back of the brick and the back of the motor (when I say "back" of the motor, I mean the end nearest the front of the wing, not the prop end!). It is 60mm from the front point of the wing, just at the X in the attached pic.

I originally tried a 240mAh zippy, but it was pretty much unflyable. I found I needed the extra weight of a 360mAh Zippy lipo, which completely transformed the characteristics, and gives the CG in the pic.

I really hope you do make one of these - I look forward to seeing how you improve it
bluefisherking is offline Find More Posts by bluefisherking
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:17 PM
Registered User
bluefisherking's Avatar
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Lol

Sorry about rudder and aileron mix up
I have a dx6i so maybe this isn't doable unless I stay non brushed
I might try something anyways to shits and giggles
I am using a DX6i too, and this is easy peasy with just the two channels on the RX board. Brushless is really not needed for this kind of UM wing (and if you desperately wanted to go brushless later you could always go the brushless converter route... but you won't need to). And as darksiede said, you really don't need a rudder on a flying wing either.

I am using an AR6400 so as discussed, I have Elevator and Rudder on board so I just use the V-Tail mix built into the DX6i. As you are using the green dot Ember/Vapor brick you will have Elevator & Aileron, so you can simply switch on the Delta/Elevon mix instead (also built into your DX6i). Then the two servos will automatically be mixed/mapped to your right stick's elevator and aileron movements.

So what are you waiting for ?
bluefisherking is offline Find More Posts by bluefisherking
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:18 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,446 Posts
Oh okay

so you cant use elevator and aileron at the same time I guess .

Does this mean you cant climb in a corner or keep the same elevator when banking?


Quote:
Originally Posted by darksiede View Post
It's called Elevon mix, the ailerons also act as elevators.. meaning they can both go up/down, or one up one neutral, one down one neutral.. etc etc.. the ailerons & elevator are mixed together to give pitch & roll control.. rudder doesn't exist, so you literally bank the wing, then yank the elevator control on the TX to "Bank & yank" it through a turn.

~Kev
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:21 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,446 Posts
what am I waiting for?

I am not sure lol

I'll probably try this.

I have never flown a wing before so it'd be tricky for me i imagine

So your saying I dont need the external servo and can probably use the existing servos on the brick?


wait - scratch that; wont work either.

i'll have to wire in the used UMP51 aileron servo I have!


Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefisherking View Post
I am using a DX6i too, and this is easy peasy with just the two channels on the RX board. Brushless is really not needed for this kind of UM wing (and if you desperately wanted to go brushless later you could always go the brushless converter route... but you won't need to). And as darksiede said, you really don't need a rudder on a flying wing either.

I am using an AR6400 so as discussed, I have Elevator and Rudder on board so I just use the V-Tail mix built into the DX6i. As you are using the green dot Ember/Vapor brick you will have Elevator & Aileron, so you can simply switch on the Delta/Elevon mix instead (also built into your DX6i). Then the two servos will automatically be mixed/mapped to your right stick's elevator and aileron movements.

So what are you waiting for ?
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:22 PM
Registered User
bluefisherking's Avatar
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Oh okay

so you cant use elevator and aileron at the same time I guess .

Does this mean you cant climb in a corner or keep the same elevator when banking?
On the contrary, it mixes the two inputs together perfectly, so you can use the two at the same time as normal. You pretty much fly it as though you had separate ailerons and elevator - it feels just like you do. Just like flying a 3-channel plane that has Throttle/Elevator/Ailerons.
bluefisherking is offline Find More Posts by bluefisherking
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:25 PM
Registered User
bluefisherking's Avatar
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
what am I waiting for?

I am not sure lol

I'll probably try this.

I have never flown a wing before so it'd be tricky for me i imagine

So your saying I dont need the external servo and can probably use the existing servos on the brick?


wait - scratch that; wont work either.

i'll have to wire in the used UMP51 aileron servo I have!
This was my first wing too!

I am saying that you don't need the external servo and can use the existing servos on the brick!

You don't have to wire in the used aileron servo!

Just set it up as in the picture in post 16 of this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=16
bluefisherking is offline Find More Posts by bluefisherking
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:25 PM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Oh okay

so you cant use elevator and aileron at the same time I guess .
Sure you can. Elevons break the travel in 1/2, so Elevator get's 1/2 the travel of an elevon and Aileron gets the other 1/2.

Full up elevator = 1/4 of the servo travel from neutral, full aileron adds and substracts 1/4 travel, so the inside Aileron is full up and the outside aileron is neutral.

For a flying wing, you'd need some reflex in the wing (neutral is slightly up elevator) because a flying wing without reflex wants to tumble end over end.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:28 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,446 Posts
Okay

I am adding this to my long list of projects lol



Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefisherking View Post
Ok, I have a little update and a much better video.

I am loving this flying wing, and I have improved it a bit. I removed the stock aileron servo and relaocated the AR6400L to the centre of the wing, to reduce weight and get symmetrical throws. I had to reverse one of the aileroncontrol horns. I put the TX on a V-tail mix (rather than Delta) and mixed Aileron to Rudder and an extra 50% Elevator to Elevator. So now the aileron stick controls flight, but if I want a fast axial roll I bang both the aileron and the rudder over to get twice the throw. The wing is flying better than ever and axial rolls are very fast and need no down elevator at all - you will see how quick they are on the video. I think the motor may be on the way out as it seems slower than it was (although some of the video is at 50% throttle), but it still flies great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xftrUMtdWo

The video was taken on quite a windy day, definitely windier than I would normally fly any other UM planes in (not sure exactly, but it was blowing faster than the stall speed of the Wing as I was able to hover and even briefly fly backwards!)

I am enjoying this wing so much that if (when) I ever damage it beyond repair I will be tempted to buy a couple of Sukhoi wings just to build another (pristine) one! I really recommend it to anyone.
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:29 PM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
what am I waiting for?

I am not sure lol

I'll probably try this.

I have never flown a wing before so it'd be tricky for me i imagine

So your saying I dont need the external servo and can probably use the existing servos on the brick?


wait - scratch that; wont work either.

i'll have to wire in the used UMP51 aileron servo I have!
If you have a vapor or Champ brick, you use "delta" for a wing type and it should work by hooking the individual servos to each elevon.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:30 PM
Registered User
bluefisherking's Avatar
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Okay

I am adding this to my long list of projects lol
bluefisherking is offline Find More Posts by bluefisherking
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:33 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,446 Posts
thanks a million guys

adding wing reflex to wing tips, or by prop angle, or?
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Perfect (US Market) UM 4-Site, P-51 or Sukhoi guts swap-out planes Jim_Marconnet Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 93 May 29, 2011 07:04 PM
Discussion Perfect UM 4-Site, P-51 or Sukhoi guts swap-out planes Bowerz Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 103 Jul 29, 2010 02:33 PM
Discussion UM Sukhoi vs UM P51 helivsFMX Micro Ready-to-Fly 4 Jul 13, 2010 06:59 AM
Cool Vids of your night time activities... Um Flying activities. Diggs Night Flying 35 Feb 11, 2009 04:53 AM
Rave what do you want out of your flying wing? Ryan Archer Flying Wings 12 Aug 17, 2005 02:11 PM