HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:37 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Saxguy1000's Avatar
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,618 Posts
I've got a new mantra after seeing a great statement:

The mark of a truly superior pilot is the use of his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:41 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Jake8131's Avatar
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
I've got a new mantra after seeing a great statement:

The mark of a truly superior pilot is the use of his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.
If It Isn't Broken, Your Not Flying It Correctly!!
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:19 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Saxguy1000's Avatar
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,618 Posts
Oh, yeah... that wasn't my new mantra. I didn't get to my new mantra. This is what I say from now on:

The mark of a truly superior pilot is he who uses his superior craftsmanship to avoid bends, scrapes and crashes requiring the use of his superior skill to repair, rebuild, and to fashion new parts from his hobby room trash... And, the helicopter does not weigh more than the inertia provided by the stock kit.

Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:06 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2005
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
I've got a new mantra after seeing a great statement:

The mark of a truly superior pilot is the use of his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.
I must not be a superior pilot then...when I was still flying RC planes my judgement would get me into situations that my very good skills couldn't always get me out of...
grampi is offline Find More Posts by grampi
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:41 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
Planks

Hi all,

I've been lurking here since I got my 120SR 3 months ago. (I tried to read all 10 million posts... but I had to cheat and skip a few ). Anyway, the 120SR is my first RC heli, and first RC anything since I was a kid 20 years ago. With some knowledge picked up here, it's been a blast, and I feel fairly competent with it now, both indoors and out. I'm considering an mCPX in the not too distant future.

But I've also been thinking about trying my hand at planes, and wanted to get some advice from the 120SR peeps. So, slightly off topic:

A 3-ch Super Cub or Champ seems to be the most popular beginner choice. But I'm wondering if my heli experience will translate well, allowing me to perhaps skip to a 4 channel? It seems that part of the learning curve in flying may apply to both helis and planes: getting used to the sticks, orientation, and aerodynamic effects.

I don't mind starting at the bottom. The idea of something small, simple, durable and cheap like the Champ is very appealing. On the other hand, "skipping" ahead to something more capable wouldn't be so bad either. So I'm looking for some general advice on transitioning to planes and what some good options are for me. I have a DX6i and a BNF would be great.

Thanks!
James
chimivee is offline Find More Posts by chimivee
Last edited by chimivee; Dec 13, 2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:09 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Jake8131's Avatar
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Oh, yeah... that wasn't my new mantra. I didn't get to my new mantra. This is what I say from now on:

The mark of a truly superior pilot is he who uses his superior craftsmanship to avoid bends, scrapes and crashes requiring the use of his superior skill to repair, rebuild, and to fashion new parts from his hobby room trash... And, the helicopter does not weigh more than the inertia provided by the stock kit.

The mark of superior flying is not having to tell your next door neighbor that you are sorry!
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:21 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
North_of_49's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
5,770 Posts
@chimivee...

I was advised when I got into planes this past summer not to jump right into 4 channel right away. I was going to ignore that advise and buy the Carbon Cub as my first plane. I abandoned that idea, not because I didn't think I could fly it, but because of all the issues it had, so I bought the Champ instead and I'm kind of glad now that it worked out that way. The 4 channels don't usually have the self righting feature of the wing dihedral that's built into most 3 channel trainers... something that I feel, no matter how good your heli skills are, is desirable for at least your first handful of flights if you're learning planes on your own and not buddy boxing.... you probably will crash the 3 channel (probably won't even damage it if it's not an epic crash ) so it's even more likely you'll crash the 4 channel which is usually faster, not self righting and sometimes not as strong depending which one you buy.

... I was worried that I'd only need a trainer for a very short period before I'd be bored of it or ready to jump up to the next thing and shelve it with it kind of being a waste of money. I was told by alot of experienced flyers that probably wouldn't happen... that planes like the Champ and HZ Super Cub are so much fun and stress free and easy and cheap to repair that I'd still be flying them even if moving on to more advanced birds. Well, when I got my Champ, I couldn't put it down... in fact, I pretty much abandoned all other areas of RC for the majority of the summer. I didn't even really desire moving on to a 4 channel either and I'm still kind of at that point. I did move up to a bigger plane, but I got the 3 channel Super Cub

I've noticed in the places I hang around RCGroups, there are alot of experienced flyers who own some pretty cool more advanced planes who mostly come on here to talk about flying their Champs and Super Cubs

If you feel you still want to jump into 4 channel right form the get go... the T-28 Trojan is the most recommended aileron trainer I've come across on this forum. It just doesn't really appeal to me personally.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:36 PM
Registered User
Brian VT's Avatar
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimivee View Post
Hi all,
I don't mind starting at the bottom. The idea of something small, simple, durable and cheap like the Champ is very appealing. On the other hand, "skipping" ahead to something more capable wouldn't be so bad either. So I'm looking for some general advice on transitioning to planes and what some good options are for me. I live in I have a DX6i and a BNF would be great.

Thanks!
James
The Champ is great. The Super cub is great. Both have "dihedral" wings, so they somewhat self-correct. The Champ, being smaller, will survive many crashes. The bigger they are, the harder they break.
The most often recommended aileron trainer is the micro T-28. It's cheap and durable. I think if I had it to do over I'd start with a Radian powered glider. You need room for that, though. The Champ you can throw in it's box and keep it in the car and fly anywhere.
I "skipped ahead" to bigger and less stable planes (read expensive mistakes).
I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't mind fixing and flying ugly (patched) planes.
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Last edited by Brian VT; Dec 12, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:47 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Saxguy1000's Avatar
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
The Champ is great. The Super cub is great. Both have "dihedral" wings, so they somewhat self-correct. The Champ, being smaller, will survive many crashes. The bigger they are, the harder they break.
The most often recommended aileron trainer is the micro T-28. It's cheap and durable. I think if I had it to do over I'd start with a Radian powered glider. You need room for that, though. The Champ you can throw in it's box and keep it in the car and fly anywhere.
I "skipped ahead" to bigger and less stable planes (read expensive mistakes).
I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't mind fixing and flying ugly (patched) planes.
I recommend the Champ and the T-28 for anyone. The Champ is my favorite for simple stress-free flying. The T-28 is just as good, but I like the 4-ch for the ailerons. Also, after flying the 120SR, you will have the thumbs for the 4-ch control. You use the the rudder much more on a heli than you do on a plane. A lot of guys only use the rudder for taxi and take off. After that, if you only use ailerons, there is no difference at all between the 3-ch Champ and the 4-ch T-28.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:03 PM
Registered User
Brian VT's Avatar
United States, VT, Rutland
Joined Dec 2011
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
You use the the rudder much more on a heli than you do on a plane.
It is kinda nice that the tail just follows the rest of the plane, unlike a heli.
Brian VT is offline Find More Posts by Brian VT
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:08 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Saxguy1000's Avatar
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
It is kinda nice that the tail just follows the rest of the plane, unlike a heli.
Going from helis to planes, I kept using the rudder too much. Finally, my brother-in-law, a plank dude, told me that most don't even use the rudder on planes. Duhhh, I guess that's why they can't land on a dime like my heli!!!
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:42 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
It is kinda nice that the tail just follows the rest of the plane, unlike a heli.
Is this the 120SR thread

Yeah Baby
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:47 PM
Which way is up?
stuball56's Avatar
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I like turtles.

Zombie Kid Likes Turtles (0 min 17 sec)
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:35 PM
Look ma, no hands!
1Pilgrim's Avatar
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
I recommend the Champ and the T-28 for anyone. The Champ is my favorite for simple stress-free flying. The T-28 is just as good, but I like the 4-ch for the ailerons. Also, after flying the 120SR, you will have the thumbs for the 4-ch control. You use the the rudder much more on a heli than you do on a plane. A lot of guys only use the rudder for taxi and take off. After that, if you only use ailerons, there is no difference at all between the 3-ch Champ and the 4-ch T-28.
+1 Smaller and lighter doesn't mean easier to fly when you add ailerons. After a year and a half becoming quite proficient with the 120SR I decided to try a fixed wing. Against the advice of just about everyone I went with the Carbon Cub; it only took about 30 seconds total flight time to smash not one but TWO of them to smithereens. Now I fly the Champ indoors or in dead calm outdoors and the T-28 outdoors.

It took one flight to master the Champ on my own, and a couple of flights on a buddy box prepared me to solo the much bigger and faster T-28. I'd recommend both of them for any beginner with a decent radio. I'd also recommend spending some time on a good simulator before attempting to fly the T-28; it saved me from losing mine.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Last edited by 1Pilgrim; Dec 12, 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:35 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
North_of_49's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
5,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Is this the 120SR thread

Yeah Baby
What's a 120sr?
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Blade SR RTF Electric Micro Heli by E-flite ghost2212 Micro Helis 6555 Feb 27, 2014 08:35 PM
Discussion Update Blade CP or buy E-Flite Blade SR or 400? markhwing Electric Heli Talk 10 Aug 06, 2012 03:16 PM
Link E-flite mSR batteries E flite 110-120 Hyp.CX 120 and others everydayflyer Batteries and Chargers 45 Apr 08, 2010 04:55 AM
For Sale Did you just buy a new E-Flite Blade SR? Z06 Tony Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Feb 28, 2010 12:01 AM
New Product Blade SR RTF Electric Micro Heli by E-flite ghost2212 Micro Ready-to-Fly 2 Jan 07, 2010 09:36 AM