HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2010, 08:54 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,595 Posts
Discussion
For you "micro" builders:

I was at an electric airplane event today and spotted a thing called an "Ember" and it had the tiniest servo/Rx on 2.4Ghz combo in it. The motor was on a gearbox and it was also tiny. I figure the package of motor/gearbox and servos/Rx could easily fit into the smallest of model boats kits around and even smaller plastic kit boats. I wanted to put a quarter coin in the pic but decided the owner might think I was trying to mess with his plane so I didn't. The servo/Rx module looked to be about 1" or 1.5" wide!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2010, 10:17 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,493 Posts
Mighy small stuff there.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Jun 06, 2010, 10:17 PM
Model RC Boat
Newyork
Joined Apr 2010
354 Posts
Thank You Kmot

Thank you Kmot I guess you start to like little models. Thank you for
your info and regards. I have also one link to give some useful info for
micro builders. Regard for everyone. Enjoy
http://www.cloud9rc.com/indoorflying.asp
Aydemir is offline Find More Posts by Aydemir
Old Jun 06, 2010, 11:33 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
9,842 Posts
Those are available via Horizon Hobbies.
Hobbyzone, and Losi make some really small receiver/esc/servo combos.

Have to watch the frequency though, to be sure you are able to use them.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ3351

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ4856

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSB0830

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...803#reviewsTab
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jun 07, 2010, 04:59 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,677 Posts
They have a whole line of micro aircraft. The 3 channel ones are the Ember, Vapor and coming soon Night Vapor (has several LED lights). Their 4 channel units are the P-51 Mustang and a Suhkoi. These airplane all use Spektrum DSM2 technology, so the DX5, DX6i and DX7 will work. The E-flite Blade MCX and MCX2 helo's are 4 channel units as well set up with counter rotating motors; if converted to boat use, differential vector steering is used.

The only drawback is that the esc's are forward only.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Jun 07, 2010, 03:24 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,532 Posts
Kmot in your picture I can see the front motor turning the prop but there are two geared motors behind that too. What do they do? Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Jun 07, 2010, 03:59 PM
abingdon england
Joined Feb 2008
473 Posts
Hi Pete
They are the servo linear that control the rudder and the elevators

John
cos918 is offline Find More Posts by cos918
Old Jun 07, 2010, 07:49 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2003
579 Posts
Watch the Micro FS/W section here on RCGroups. The micro airframes are rather fragile and when they are trashed the electronic components end up for sale pretty cheap. I recently picked up a busted up 4-Site for $55 shipped. Thats the 6ch brick/esc/servo unit plus 2 seperate micro linear servos and the motor/GB combo. That's over $110 new from Horizon. Vapor / Ember /Sukhoi guts go for $30-$40.

Mike
MikeF is online now Find More Posts by MikeF
Old Jun 08, 2010, 12:30 PM
太刀風
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jan 2003
1,042 Posts
I have been looking at these for a while, I am "that close" to getting one of these set ups for three projects:

1) The Captains' launch to Umi's IJN LST ( need only three channels)
2) 1/72nd scale Soviet G-5 ( Needs only three channels)
3) The 1/350 scale Tamiya kit of the IJN I-400 ( which can not be in 2.4mHz.)
[ could get away with only three, would like 4 channels].

Status: Have the hull, deck house and aft tub molds made and have pulled usable units of the Captain's Launch.
Have usable planes for the G-5
Have the Tamiya kit, have started to shave down the interior of the kit to accomidate the engine and prospective battery. Still unsure about the dimensions of the ESC/Reciever. I have emailed Horizon Hobby a couple of times, still have not heard back from them with regards to dimensions.
Would be interested in working with someone on similar projects. As Umi always points out, better to have a little boat that you can take anywhere, thank a big boat that needs more effort to transport.
Tachikaze is offline Find More Posts by Tachikaze
Old Jun 08, 2010, 02:10 PM
Work induced time dilation...
Richland WA.
Joined Oct 2008
376 Posts
Tachikaze, I am intrigued about your I-400 project. This is a model that I have repeatedly considered converting to RC over the past few years, but never got around to buying it....
How are you planning to set up dive systems, waterproof bulkheads/WTCs etc. Are you planning a static or dynamic diving sub?

Recently I have done some work on a 1/350 VIIC/41 (yes, it is ludicrously small) and have set up motors, dive planes, rudders and a ballast pump/tank dive system, however I still haven't bougt any RC gear or actuators.

If you want relatively cheap, tiny, 4Ch recievers I can give a few sources, but as they are for aircraft the integrated ESC is forward only.
Also look at the 4Ch micro reciever from plantraco, it has servo control and an external ESC should give you a reversible speed control. http://www.airmidimicros.com/Documen..._manual1.0.pdf
Andrey225 is offline Find More Posts by Andrey225
Old Jun 08, 2010, 03:12 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2003
579 Posts
The esc output on the 6ch e-flite/parkzone bricks can be configured to operate an external esc. With the 2 onboard servos that leaves 3 additional channels available.

I can post the brick dimensions when I get home this evening if you like. I have several.

Mike
MikeF is online now Find More Posts by MikeF
Old Jun 09, 2010, 12:26 PM
太刀風
Joined Jan 2003
1,042 Posts
Andrey.

Right now I have been filing down the interior of the kit to allow as much room as possible. I have real no set plans as of yet, as I do not have dimensions of the components.
I would really like to make it a static diver, using perhaps a syringe to a linear servo for ballast. Umi, because of the limited number of channels has recommended a dynamic diver.
If a static diver, I would look at using perhaps a 3cc syringe to fill a bladder to allow for diving.
If a dynamic diver, I was thinking of using small drop in weights to set her at dive ballast as opposed to no weight for sitting in water and looking pretty.
I think, that because of size limitations I would have to use the 2nd item on Umi's list.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ4856

This would give rudder, a set of dive planes and forward only control.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 04:23 PM
太刀風
Joined Jan 2003
1,042 Posts
Anyone with some thoughts on a 4 channel ESC/Reciever board? That being the ESC and three other channels in a frequency that is usable under water. 75mHz or 27mHz?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 05:01 PM
太刀風
Joined Jan 2003
1,042 Posts
Neat idea Andrey, I searched the subcommittee site to see if there was any reference in using 900mHz for subs and found nothing. I was unable to log on so I will have to wait until they reset my information to ask a question. That 900-s unit, are you sure you can get reverse with it?
I have a small Futaba receiver for 75mHz and I think that I may be able to get that into the sub, with a little grinding of the circuit board. That would then have me use a servo for the ESC. I have these really small and very cute Maxon motors that I was planning on using for the drive.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 05:36 AM
Work induced time dilation...
Richland WA.
Joined Oct 2008
376 Posts
I think that it should be possible to get reverse with the 900MHz system, but am not too sure.
I presume that an aircraft froward-only ESC still uses the same PWM signal as a servo or reversible ESC, only what is reverse is set up to be 0 and the middle is half throttle not neutral/center. If that is the case then replacing the proposed external ESC on the right channel with a servo and hacking in a separate power supply (shouldn't be a major problem) and you get 4 reversible channels.
This is just theory, I have not bought any of these receivers so give NO guarantees, and feel free to correct me if my reasoning is wrong.
Andrey225 is offline Find More Posts by Andrey225