HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2011, 08:18 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,320 Posts
"..Jack, you're doing just fine as is..."

Wow, it's good to hear that from someone that has been there and done it...

Thanks!

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:12 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,172 Posts
Here is a little video of my Tricopter flying with the 1000 kV BW motors. These motors were a significant improvement in efficiency and in "steadiness" over the 1500 kV BW motors. The video shows a flight with a 2200 mAh 3s battery. It also flew very well with a 1000 mAh 3s battery.

1000 kV Blue Wonder Tricopter (1 min 46 sec)
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:31 AM
Sorry, but they're all toys.
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Jun 2009
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
Here is a little video of my Tricopter flying with the 1000 kV BW motors. These motors were a significant improvement in efficiency and in "steadiness" over the 1500 kV BW motors. The video shows a flight with a 2200 mAh 3s battery. It also flew very well with a 1000 mAh 3s battery.
Is it just my ears or is that an ABC whine? Er, wind? Were the motors very hot at that low kv?

You have a very smooth flyer there, looks like a good platform for FPV, bomb drops, or other assorted mischief!
Eric Odle is offline Find More Posts by Eric Odle
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:26 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Odle View Post
Is it just my ears or is that an ABC whine? Er, wind? Were the motors very hot at that low kv?

You have a very smooth flyer there, looks like a good platform for FPV, bomb drops, or other assorted mischief!
The motors were barely warm. These low kV motors only draw a few amps in hover.

The whine was more noticeable on the video than when I was flying???
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:43 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,320 Posts
Quote:

That may be a good candidate for 8 or 9 inch slow fly props, Those work OK on the 1300 and 1500 BW's, you may be able to use even larger ones at the lower Kv.

How tough is the learning curve on a tricopter if you already know how to fly planes but are not already a helo flyer? Is there a build thread on this one?

Jack
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2011, 01:13 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
That may be a good candidate for 8 or 9 inch slow fly props, Those work OK on the 1300 and 1500 BW's, you may be able to use even larger ones at the lower Kv.

How tough is the learning curve on a tricopter if you already know how to fly planes but are not already a helo flyer? Is there a build thread on this one?

Jack
Jack,

The Tricopters are easier to fly than a 450 size helicopter and they are way, way more durable. They can handle some wind, they can do flips and rolls. A good 450 heli will have more capabilities in the right hands, but it has a steeper and more expensive learning curve.

If you are not a heli pilot than you would do better to spend some time with a 4 ch beginner heli and/or some simulator time first.

Lots of Tricopters and Quadcopters in the multirotor and also in the FPV forum.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 04:00 PM
Joined Jun 2009
292 Posts
Quote:

Sounds like you have power to spare, I bet she rises fast at full power!

I'm not sure if that's an ABC whine I hear or not, I am a little hard of hearing at the higher pitches. With some of my recent aircraft I've found myself choosing between the lighter but less efficient 2211 rewind, which is ABC only, and the 2730 dLRK rewind. Between those two the dLRK wind is definitely quieter and a more efficient for an extra 5-10 grams or so. That ABC whine really stands out between these motors, and that's what I think I'm hearing in your video.

Which wind did you use on those 2730's?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:48 PM
salt lake ut
Joined Oct 2009
63 Posts
suggestion for rewind.

i got a 2730 1500kv and 1300kv(1300kv is blue and red,1500 kv is red and black). both i think are 16 pole 12 stator. I have read as much as i can on blog.

I got epp 3d type ships. (yak 55)
I am at 5000 ft msl and can run a 9050 even on the 1500kv, no problem

I use the 1500kv for 2 cell and the 1300 kv for 3 cell and am very happy with both as is, would like a little more pwr on 2 cell.

I like the 9050 gps prop, works good on my bird would like to stay with that (got a nice stock of em)

I wanna rewind these. I want more power on one one dedicated 2 cell
that puts out more pwr than factory 1500kv, i think a little more kv wouldnt hurt.

the 3 cell version id like to just make it better all around,

from reading sounds like ABC is only option for 16 pole

I am new to winding, but am a fly tier, so less afraid to tackle something of moderate difficulty.

suggestions for 2 cell 9050 for pwr?
suggestions for 3 cell 9050?

would be great if wire was same size for both!

what kv does your suggestion end up being?
dont have any 3000kv, would like to try winding above first and not moving magnets. dont care about precice throttle control or noise.

thanks!
brokeneck is offline Find More Posts by brokeneck
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:43 PM
Joined Jun 2009
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeneck View Post
i got a 2730 1500kv and 1300kv(1300kv is blue and red,1500 kv is red and black). both i think are 16 pole 12 stator. I have read as much as i can on blog.

I got epp 3d type ships. (yak 55)
I am at 5000 ft msl and can run a 9050 even on the 1500kv, no problem

I use the 1500kv for 2 cell and the 1300 kv for 3 cell and am very happy with both as is, would like a little more pwr on 2 cell.

I like the 9050 gps prop, works good on my bird would like to stay with that (got a nice stock of em)

I wanna rewind these. I want more power on one one dedicated 2 cell
that puts out more pwr than factory 1500kv, i think a little more kv wouldnt hurt.

the 3 cell version id like to just make it better all around,

from reading sounds like ABC is only option for 16 pole

I am new to winding, but am a fly tier, so less afraid to tackle something of moderate difficulty.

suggestions for 2 cell 9050 for pwr?
suggestions for 3 cell 9050?

would be great if wire was same size for both!

what kv does your suggestion end up being?
dont have any 3000kv, would like to try winding above first and not moving magnets. dont care about precice throttle control or noise.

thanks!

Did you check out the spreadsheet at post #343? The guys here have done an amazing amount of detailed work compiling the data so you can sort it as you wish.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 04:41 PM
salt lake ut
Joined Oct 2009
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Odle View Post
Did you check out the spreadsheet at post #343? The guys here have done an amazing amount of detailed work compiling the data so you can sort it as you wish.
yep i looked at that thx! that will be more helpful if i wasnt a newbie.
was hoping for a specific reccomendation, as i dont have any experience at rewinding. really dont know enough to pick from that great chart.

from what i have read,
thinking tgy 10or 12t 24awg ABC wye? 10 turns is 1721 kv
maby 10 for 2 cell and 12 turns for 3?

or TGY 20T26ABCdelta?

not a lot of data for 9050 gws dd prop, everybody seems to like the 8040ish on this site,. Im at 5000 ft so air is thinner here.

Read post for 3 hours, still don't know if i am even spelling these right.
brokeneck is offline Find More Posts by brokeneck
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:53 PM
just an earth-bound misfit
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,726 Posts
Does anyone have the thrust data for the stock Turnigy 2730-1500 turning a GWS 8040 on 3s? I'm wondering how it compares to the 21t 26awg delta or 12t 24awg wye.
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:43 PM
Joined Jun 2009
292 Posts
I just knew there was a newer spreadsheet out there, here's the link from post# 708:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...6&d=1275896709

Looks like 1500kv might be an upper limit for the GWS 9050, there's a 20T-D on the list that turns it at 7058 rpm at 2s and making 24 watts of heat, which seems a little toasty! Probably ok at altitude though. 1300kv also seems a little hot for 3s, Manuel ran one at 976kv and got it to spin at 8600rpm for 38 watts of latin heat.

If you don't already have it, I'd pick up some 24g wire from Microdan, that seems to be the most popular size. You could do a 12T-Y that would work better than the stock version, and certainly look better.

Disclaimer: I'm quite new at this myself so the above is not to be taken as expert advice. Hope it helps, though.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 08:19 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,320 Posts
Eric,

I think your link is frammitzed. It may be that you did a Click, Drag, and Copy to get it. When you do that here all you get is what you see displayed, not the full link as it is embedded in the post. If you right click and choose "Copy Link Location..." you'll get the full link.

Example, in your post I see this:

When I copy the link location I get the exact same thing:

so it means that all the stuff between "..." and "6&d=1275896709" is missing from the link.

Not nagging on you, I was curious as to what the spreadsheet is about.

If the link was to Trug's rewind-RBW2.xls with the list of winds, you can get that from his blog page:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...3&d=1254193700

Jack
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2011, 08:44 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,320 Posts
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried a LRK wind on these motors? I don't see any mention of them in Trug's spreadsheet.

I did a 11 turn LRK "Y" wind on a bigger motor, a 64 gram TP2410-12D, and was really surprised at the results, especially on 3S LiPO. On 3S it more than doubled the power output of the motor over the ratings for the stock wind.

With a GWS DD HD-8060 prop, it turned a motor rated for 86W into a 194W motor and it is not even getting hot yet. I haven't tested the motor much yet but it looks like it is also going to be a good 2S motor for props larger than the HD-8060.

I think the LRK wind only using six of the twelve stator arms lets you pack a good amount of larger wire in because there is more room on each side of the arm. So you can go with a bigger wire and also get the turn count up more than you could with all twelve arms wound.

Here are the details on the first LRK wind I did on a 2410-12D:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1382108

I'll post the details on the second wind over on that thread in the next day or so. But I can't help but wonder if a LRK wind wouldn't work well on these smaller 12 arm stators too (LRK requires using a 12 arm stator).

Jack
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:18 AM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Yup, tried LRK. Overall, it doesn't seem to offer any advantage on these stators, and you have the added problem that the teeth are not designed for it (a dedicated LRK stator has oversize hammerheads alternating with posts that lack a hammerhead).

Yet another problem: since your front clearance is limited to start with, the number of turns is even more restricted than with dLRK because of the size of the winding bun.

Not a good plan, methinks, but fun is fun!

Dave
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis