SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2015, 03:49 PM
Aerial Birdwatcher
Joined Jul 2014
252 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone Ultra Micro ICON A5 w/ AS3X Tech BNF Owner's thread

There's none yet, so I mind as well start one.
Just ordering mine now.
Here's the blurb, even though it's like 2 yrs old:
Key Features

Authentic ICON A5 trim scheme
ParkZone® DSM2®/DSMX® receiver/ESC/AS3X unit, installed
4-channel control – throttle, aileron, elevator and rudder
Powerful 2500Kv brushless motor
High-performance 3-blade prop
Removable landing gear – fly off land or water
Magnetically secured cockpit/battery hatch
Tinted cockpit canopy with painted pilot figure
Includes E-flite Celectra 2S DC Li-Po charger
Includes 2S 180mAh 20C Li-Po battery

Needed To Complete

- 4+ channel DSM2- or DSMX-compatible transmitter
Video Overview

Overview

The ICON A5 is more than an airplane. It’s a bold return to the roots of aviation; to a time when people flew for adventure, not merely to get from A to B. Now you can boldly fly wherever adventure waits with this thrilling Ultra Micro Series version of the ICON A5 aircraft.

Officially licensed by ICON Aircraft, it boasts an accurate scale outline, numerous details and an authentic trim scheme. Its specially shaped hull makes taking off and landing on water remarkably easy to master if you’ve never flown an RC seaplane before. If you want to go from pond to pavement, you can do so in minutes with the quick-mounting landing gear that’s included.

This versatility, combined with its potent brushless motor and AS3X® (Artificial Stabilization – 3-aXis) technology, makes for one of the most rewarding flying experiences you’ll ever have. AS3X technology works behind the scenes to smooth out the effects of forces like P-factor, turbulence and torque. Instead of an ultra micro, you’ll feel like you’re at the controls of a larger, expertly-tuned model that flies like it’s on rails.
Specs:
Motor Size: 180-size brushless outrunner, 2500Kv (installed)
Charger: 2S 7.4V DC Li-Po charger (included)
Flaps: No
Flying Weight: 3.3 oz (94 g)
Is Assembly Required: No
Recommended Environment: Indoor/Outdoor
Recommended Motor Battery: 7.4V 2S 180mAh 20C Li-Po (included)
Retracts: No
Wingspan: 24.5 in (622mm)
bergenflier is online now Find More Posts by bergenflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2015, 04:03 PM
micro- modding madman
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
604 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1963652
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Feb 07, 2015, 04:43 PM
Unregistered User
United States, LA, St Francisville
Joined Apr 2014
1,483 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=Icon
Eagle2Nitro is online now Find More Posts by Eagle2Nitro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Full Scale Aircraft
Old Feb 08, 2015, 03:42 PM
Molon Labe
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
729 Posts
C'mon man, you had me convinced that they released a new Icon.
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Old Feb 09, 2015, 01:42 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Oct 2011
730 Posts
My UMX Icon A5 can takeoff from and land on grass, water or snow. I never tried the wheels.
With a good battery it can climb steeply. It can loop, roll and fly inverted.
It can fly fairly fast or slow.

Buy one now, you will like it.
Audioguru is offline Find More Posts by Audioguru
Old Feb 24, 2015, 05:14 PM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,841 Posts
Have been flying my Icon for 9 months now, on a pond, on the canal, indoors, in a stiff breeze, it copes better than a lot of bigger planes.

Here's the thing: I want to add flaps to the set-up. (I cut them free and set them at 45 degrees as a try-out which works great.) No problem with additional servo functions as there is a spare channel on the board and I can rig up a y-lead. There is sufficient excess power to haul shed-loads of additional weight so 2 additional linears should be OK.

But wait, the ailerons are already plugged into ail plus one aux channel on the Rx and have electronic differential already set. The Tx has no mixing or differential set up so it must all be done on the Rx. Is there a programming connection/fix for accessing the settings on board? I would like to droop the ailerons a bit with the flaps and configure flaperons.

Any Ideas out there?
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander
Old Feb 24, 2015, 05:20 PM
Unregistered User
United States, LA, St Francisville
Joined Apr 2014
1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanlander View Post
Have been flying my Icon for 9 months now, on a pond, on the canal, indoors, in a stiff breeze, it copes better than a lot of bigger planes.

Here's the thing: I want to add flaps to the set-up. (I cut them free and set them at 45 degrees as a try-out which works great.) No problem with additional servo functions as there is a spare channel on the board and I can rig up a y-lead. There is sufficient excess power to haul shed-loads of additional weight so 2 additional linears should be OK.

But wait, the ailerons are already plugged into ail plus one aux channel on the Rx and have electronic differential already set. The Tx has no mixing or differential set up so it must all be done on the Rx. Is there a programming connection/fix for accessing the settings on board? I would like to droop the ailerons a bit with the flaps and configure flaperons.

Any Ideas out there?

The UM AS3X bricks don't allow dual channel ailerons, so flaperons aren't possible (AS3X will only correct on one aileron).
Eagle2Nitro is online now Find More Posts by Eagle2Nitro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Full Scale Aircraft
Old Feb 24, 2015, 05:26 PM
micro- modding madman
Joined Aug 2014
604 Posts
The Carbon Cub utilizes the 4-pin center connector on the board for flaps.

You can also reprogram the board to use a Y-Harness with the ailerons on one connector and the flaps on the standard auxiliary channel.

EDIT: Sorry, thought you were talking about flaps, not flaperons.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 05:30 PM
micro- modding madman
Joined Aug 2014
604 Posts
Wait I think I understand it better now...

You don't need 2 additional servos for the flaps. If you have a CC wing lying around you can cannibalize the 1-flap wing distributor and modify it (Or copy it) for the Icon.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 07:30 AM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,841 Posts
Thanks for your comments and suggestions, I feel confident to do the physical stuff..(if there is room in the centre section I agree with you, Jules, that a single flap servo is all that is required to power both.)

What I don't know is the process for accessing programming functions on the Rx board. The connector leads I have seen on the web appear to be for a bigger 3SX stabilised Rx.

Cheers all.
Old Mar 01, 2015, 07:03 PM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,841 Posts
Found out some more by reading the instructions and a bit of googling!

1. Aileron servos are offset type SPMSA2030Lo. (So differential is already sorted)

2. Auxilliary channel already pre-set for second aileron.

3. Programming lead can be used for changing/reversing gains on AS3X Rx.

4. Centre (unused) servo socket on board works on Tx Ch 5 (Gear)

Flap modification underway. Pictures soon!
Old Mar 01, 2015, 07:58 PM
Aerial Birdwatcher
Joined Jul 2014
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanlander View Post
Found out some more by reading the instructions and a bit of googling!

1. Aileron servos are offset type SPMSA2030Lo. (So differential is already sorted)

2. Auxilliary channel already pre-set for second aileron.

3. Programming lead can be used for changing/reversing gains on AS3X Rx.

4. Centre (unused) servo socket on board works on Tx Ch 5 (Gear)

Flap modification underway. Pictures soon!
Or... you can do manually set flaps.
Meaning cut em and before flight, set them with your hand. Like I did with this nano Oriental Trading A6M Zero glider...
Old Mar 01, 2015, 08:19 PM
micro- modding madman
Joined Aug 2014
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergenflier View Post
Or... you can do manually set flaps.
Meaning cut em and before flight, set them with your hand. Like I did with this nano Oriental Trading A6M Zero glider...
The issue with having permanent flaps is that you're then locked into flap flying characteristics. It's much easier to have multiple setting flaps that you can set to your flying preference. If you want slow lazy flying with flaps, you can deploy flaps. If you want nice speedy aerobatics, you can hit the switch and start doing loops and rolls.

For aircraft that are meant to fly slow- let's say a vapor or an Ember, set flaps are a suitable option.
Old Mar 01, 2015, 10:08 PM
Aerial Birdwatcher
Joined Jul 2014
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julezwatts View Post
The issue with having permanent flaps is that you're then locked into flap flying characteristics. It's much easier to have multiple setting flaps that you can set to your flying preference. If you want slow lazy flying with flaps, you can deploy flaps. If you want nice speedy aerobatics, you can hit the switch and start doing loops and rolls.

For aircraft that are meant to fly slow- let's say a vapor or an Ember, set flaps are a suitable option.
These are not permanent. The tape from main wing to flap helps to secure, but as you move the flaps, it will secure into neutral if you put the flap into neutral. This is how it can work.
Old Mar 01, 2015, 10:50 PM
micro- modding madman
Joined Aug 2014
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergenflier View Post
These are not permanent. The tape from main wing to flap helps to secure, but as you move the flaps, it will secure into neutral if you put the flap into neutral. This is how it can work.
You misunderstand.

I cannot overstate the vitality of being able to control flap positions while flying. For certain planes with slow flight characteristics, like the Ember, Slow Stick, Vapor, etc. set- position flaps are wonderful and practical.

However, for planes such as the Carbon Cub and the Icon, along with most of the other UMX planes that you could modify for flaps, it is pertinent to be able to control the flaps while in the air. Flaps give planes flying characteristics that don't necessarily lend themselves to being 'easy to fly', and in those moments where you need to hit full throttle and pull up flaps just get in the way.

Additionally it's impractical to have to come in and manually change the flap setting because you want to go from slow flight to aerobatics, or from slow flight to speed demon.

For scale models such as these flaps are meant as scale features, not meaning that you have a set flap down position you fly with the duration of your flight, but meaning that you use flaps for takeoff, landing, and maybe a few low passes over the wheat fields. You certainly wouldn't see a Cessna pilot spend their entire flight with the flaps deployed.

While in theory it's a viable solution, set position flaps on a scale model are really only a hindrance. Scale models, for the most part, are flown for scale appeal, and for models with flaps part of that appeal is being able to control the flaps in the air. Half flaps for nice slow cruising, a touch of flaps for takeoff, full flaps for landing, etc. How much fun would it be if you had retracts you could only control by manually screwing them into the 'up' or 'down' position?