HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:07 AM
United States, NJ, Edison
Joined Sep 2007
6 Posts
Discussion
Any systematic way to make progress with RF ?

I purchased Real Flight 7 few months ago and have tried flying couple of planes in simulator
All is going well so far(pick a plane / scenario, take off...fly and finally land with different difficult level etc)
I want to wait for some more time before I go out in the open with real RC flying

I wanted to know if there is any guide/systematic way / steps/ tutorial etc about working with the simulator to make me better with rc planes. Want to make sure I am not missing anything while I am using simulator or not doing something which I should be
I understand that real flying would be different and I would learn with experience but still want to limit the number the surprises if I can
nvedia is offline Find More Posts by nvedia
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2015, 03:21 PM
Joined Jan 2015
22 Posts
The more time you spend on the sim the better you will be able to fly however nothing beats real flying. I would join a club and find somebody who would be willing to teach you fly. If you have a good trainer plane it won't take you long to learn. I would suggest you using a buddy box. The guys at my club are very friendly and it is a lot of fun to fly with them. Most likely you will need a teacher even if you do the sim a lot. There is just some stuff the sim dosn't tell you if you know what I mean. You might be able to learn on your own but it would a lot simpler and easier if someone told you in person. Feel free to ask more questions. Happy flying!
Matthew0 is offline Find More Posts by Matthew0
Old Feb 19, 2015, 07:11 PM
Elmer
Joined Feb 2015
18 Posts
The last time I actually flew RC was 40 years ago. I have a Real Flight 6.5 and have been fascinated by it. To me, it is very real. This is how I proceeded with it. (You may want to start out in the easy mode first.) Start with no wind, and pick a really open field. Start with a plane like a piper cub. Landing is the hardest skill to learn. When you have mastered this, then move up to the hardest skill mode and repeat. Start using the binocular or close up mode, but then start flying with it off. This will build your memory for what the plane was doing last. Next start moving up to faster planes. A good second plane after the cub would be the Spacewalker. It's low wing but flies easy. Keep working your way up to faster and trickier planes. Then start adding wind. Use all different directions of wind and gusts. Next start changing flying fields. Some of them have buildings and obstacles close to the runway. Get so you can land in a crosswind between obstacles and on short fields. Joe's Garage is kind of challenging. Learn how to fly toward you and upside down. You may not actually fly upside down, but it will build on your skills.
emckay7067 is offline Find More Posts by emckay7067
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:49 PM
Joined Dec 2014
16 Posts
this advice is very helpful emckay
tcirillo is offline Find More Posts by tcirillo
Old Feb 20, 2015, 01:28 PM
Elmer
Joined Feb 2015
18 Posts
Thanks.

Also, while you are flying around, try to fly level by doing figure eights. Also try some basic maneuvers like loops and rolls. Then do some cuban eights and reverse cuban eights. (You need to be doing something between taking off and landing.)

The next good plane to work with after the Spacewalker would be the Big Stick.

But also as you are doing these exercises, go through the list of planes from top to bottom and select each one and fly it. If you don't like it or it doesn't challenge you, move on to another. However, you still want to do your main practice with planes that you can fly and challenge you.

Another plane that you could move up to after the Big Stick is the Nobler. It has flaps and retracts, so you can slow it down for landing. I was actually surprised to see this plane on the list. Back in the 1950's I used to fly control line and a neighbor kid had one he flew on control line also. Awesome plane.

Also, for landings, I like to bring the planes in at just above stall speed. So you need to reduce the power and keep giving it up elevator slowly. Soon you will find a point at which it will still fly, but slower. Add a little power if you have to.

Another exercise that I like to do is dead stick landings. Somewhere in the flight I will pull all the power off quickly and then see if I can get it back to and land on the runway with no power.

Elmer.
emckay7067 is offline Find More Posts by emckay7067
Last edited by emckay7067; Feb 21, 2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 02:26 PM
Joined Dec 2014
16 Posts
i'm not the original poster, but i'm so glad i found this thread because i'm a relative beginner and i fly 2 fixed wing, some quads, and a SIM, and i wish the SIM came with this progression of thoughts, it should be required reading.

i find myself not following a 'course guide' approach and it's very inefficient.

thank you for taking the time, tom
tcirillo is offline Find More Posts by tcirillo
Old Feb 21, 2015, 06:34 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvedia View Post
I purchased Real Flight 7 few months ago and have tried flying couple of planes in simulator
All is going well so far(pick a plane / scenario, take off...fly and finally land with different difficult level etc)
I want to wait for some more time before I go out in the open with real RC flying

I wanted to know if there is any guide/systematic way / steps/ tutorial etc about working with the simulator to make me better with rc planes. Want to make sure I am not missing anything while I am using simulator or not doing something which I should be
I understand that real flying would be different and I would learn with experience but still want to limit the number the surprises if I can
I have been training RC pilots since 1978. The first thing I do is takeoff and then give them control. You need to practice flying an oval keeping the same altitude. Keep parallel to the runway both upwind and downwind. Make shallow turns without losing altitude. Be sure your aircraft is trimmed to fly straight and level into the wind, hands off. Make subtle stick movements as you turn. Try not to roll over upside down on the turns or overcontrol.

Practice that over and over before practicing landings and takeoffs. If you cannot fly straight and level up and down the field, you will not be able to land or takeoff. You need to set muscle memory and do things instinctively.

Stay with the high wing trainer. Leave the Jets and Helix alone until you have mastered the trainer.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Feb 21, 2015, 06:50 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
11,075 Posts
The BMFA (British equivalent of the AMA) has several certificate levels for pilots in a range of disciplines. https://www.bmfa.org/Downloads/RC-Ac...heme-Downloads

It's not a bad idea to have a look at the A and B certificate tests for your chosen area and work through those figures in the sim until you get them right. If you can do A & B tests properly you will be a pretty competent pilot. But you do need to note the guidance....anyone can fly e.g. something like a Figure 8...doing it so the sides are reasonably circular, both the same size and at the same height all the way round is the tricky part.

Oh and when you think it's getting easy that's the time to add some wind and gusts in the sim. You can bet your life that the real world will add some as soon as you get out there with your real model (the one that doesn't fix itself after a crash with just one push of a key ).

Good luck - Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick