HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2015, 10:47 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
10,082 Posts
Yes a kit you are the one that makes all the parts/ RC gear work and play together. bnf/ rtf most is ready to go. This is reason I bought the full complete combo so all items are matched. Yes I know there are different ways to mix and match. I have two other 450's to get flying before this project.
when I get to Forza 450 I may also build my Exi-pro Carbon 450 kit. I want to find options for FBL conversion first. [EXI] I believe its a T-Rex clone so that should not be a problem.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2015, 11:31 AM
I failed to crash a heli once!
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Mar 2014
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14 View Post
Bookmarked that one. It seems I ended up pretty much following you far as parts choice, so might as well see how you put things together too. I won't be doing anything till this summer, so just learning and watching for now.

Thanks for taking the time to share something like this

Edit: Just read through your blog. Man, I am so far out of my league here.... I bought the kit and all, but as I read your blog I see just how much I have to learn with something like this. No BNF here !!
Thanks for the compliments. More just documenting the completed steps, no video as there's no need. Just search YouTube for JR Build and watch the official build video with Mooney. That's what gave me the confidence that I can do this. The self imposed additional challenges are due to using parts not made by JR for this helicopter. I'll pay the price with hold ups while I acquire the needed parts.

My suggestion is to watch JR's build video and just take it one step at a time. Pay attention to using the right screws in the right place. I'm confident that you will be successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Yes a kit you are the one that makes all the parts/ RC gear work and play together. bnf/ rtf most is ready to go. This is reason I bought the full complete combo so all items are matched. Yes I know there are different ways to mix and match. I have two other 450's to get flying before this project.
when I get to Forza 450 I may also build my Exi-pro Carbon 450 kit. I want to find options for FBL conversion first. [EXI] I believe its a T-Rex clone so that should not be a problem.
Aye, and I'm paying the price now with having to wait for parts that my kit didn't include. It's a bit frustrating but I tried from the beginning to be realistic that this approach would require more patience; I'm not in a hurry. I don't really consider my piloting skills up to the task of flying this helicopter anyway so if I were to finish tomorrow, there's little chance that I'd do more than hover it a few feet off the ground.

So I can take my time and build it right. I stopped where I did because replacing the servo arms will require access to the servos and further assembly would make that more difficult. I'll stop here and wait for the servo arms and link balls that I have on order to arrive. It could be a long wait, the servo arms are coming from Hong Kong.

I am currently stopped at the start of step 4 of the assembly instructions having completed step 3.
dteel is online now Find More Posts by dteel
Old Mar 01, 2015, 12:09 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,598 Posts
If you are just at the beginner stage, why are you using the metal servo arms? Those will only make it more likely that you strip the servo gears in a crash. Having said that, the KST gears seem pretty tough, and although I've broken plastic links (the JR ones are quite brittle) in my crashes to date, the plastic KST servo arms and the gears have survived.

One odd thing is that in a hard crash, the KST pots can rotate in their housings, giving you a new neutral.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Mar 01, 2015, 01:38 PM
Joined Mar 2014
1,814 Posts
I'll watch out for that, but hoping that I don't have to experience a hard crash anytime soon.

I don't know that I need metal servo arms, these KST plastic arms measure the right length and when I trimmed the tail servo arm, the material sure seemed tough. Primarily I need the right sized ball (4.7mm) to use the swash links the kit supplied. I don't know that the KST plastic servo arms provide any shock protection to the servo gears. Maybe I was swayed by the cool looks in the JR build video by Mooney?

Posted a few more steps in my blog if you're interested.
Old Mar 01, 2015, 03:03 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,598 Posts
Didn't realise the YEP comes without motor connectors!

My Forza is currently stripped down and in my checked bag, hoping I'll have no TSA hassles later today!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2015, 04:23 PM
Joined Feb 2013
107 Posts
those forza adjustable servo arms are a nice touch , but im sure they have no give in a crash .
so a broken set of servo gears will result in some crashes , even with the kst arms .
I have used them , and sometimes they break , sometimes the gear set instead , and sometimes both .
I switched to the breakaway arms and have not broke a gear set since , that's been really nice.
they probably break more often than the stock sets , but they are cheap , 10 for 3 or 4 bucks. and easy to replace http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tarot-Plasti...item462f71a169
hogfish is offline Find More Posts by hogfish
Last edited by hogfish; Mar 01, 2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2015, 05:37 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,598 Posts
Yeah, HK sell those too, and I've used them on my 450 Pros. They're very flexible tho, so I think some 6s users running high HS might think they're not stiff enough.

The good news is I just got thru security, with 3 x 2200 packs and a 3s TX pack, with no problems yet. Fingers crossed it will be the same in Houston! I'll probably leave these packs in the UK and order more in time for my return to the US.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2015, 11:05 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dteel View Post
I'm confident that you will be successful. .
So am I, just maybe not the first time through
HeliFlyer14 is online now Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Old Mar 02, 2015, 10:06 AM
Joined Mar 2014
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14 View Post
So am I, just maybe not the first time through
I only have one of these models and no plans to buy a second so my first time though is my only time through.

Sometimes you just have to forge ahead and hope for the best. With no prior experience I expect some hiccups along the way. For example they said to put blue thread lock on the cross members for the tail boom assembly. I watched the rest of the JR build video with Mooney and it appears I could have left the thread lock off the initial installation as I'll have to loosen it back up to install the tail boom in step 7 or something like that.

Live and learn, I will do the best I can but I don't expect I to go perfectly. My next 450 sized build will go a lot better I'm sure.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 01:48 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,598 Posts
The Forza is a really easy build - once you're familiar with it, I reckon you could build one in not much over two hours.

Happily, I had no trouble taking mine to the UK - the TSA didn't even look in either my checked bag, which contained the heli, charger and tools, or even my carry-on which had the batteries and TX. Just have to hope for some flyable weather now!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2015, 02:22 PM
Joined Mar 2014
1,814 Posts
I hope you get some good flying in while there. Glad that it all traveled just fine.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 03:22 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,598 Posts
It runs so smoothly that i'm going to put my old keychain camera on it. With my Mini Titan and 450 Pros, the vibration affected the video, so I reckon it might work a lot better on the Forza.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2015, 04:40 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
10,082 Posts
Recieved my 9ch Value hobbies DMSS RX with satelite. Binds to XG6 TX from JR. There is way to check range by putting TX on low power an check range to 40 meters. If good to go then flull power will be great. If used TX passes range check then soon start Forza 450. I can also use Tags mini/ plus another heli could get another type FBL unit and use 9ch satelite RX.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04