HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:27 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,162 Posts
MPF is stronger. DTF is about 4.5mm (3/16") thick without the paper and has no real skin, as paper add-on prevents a skin from forming. MPF is 6mm thick, and since it has no paper, has a thin skin that improves dent resistance and stiffness/strength. The formula is slightly different as well, with MPF being the stronger/tougher of the two. My 8 ft span motor glider (click on the link below) uses MPF in an armin like wing structure. It handles wind and flight loads fine. I don't think I could do as well with DTF (not withstanding that Apache Pilot is building an even larger wing from DTF, but he's building a reallly complex structure to over come the softness and weakness of the DTF)
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:45 PM
zev
United States, MA, Natick
Joined Sep 2014
27 Posts
awesome. I have had great results with square wood spars in big DTF armin wings, so I am probably going to buy a box of MPF.

the cheap carbon is fantastic too.
zev is offline Find More Posts by zev
Old Feb 14, 2015, 09:46 AM
Is it spring yet?
United States, UT, Vernal
Joined Nov 2014
1,148 Posts
I'll have to read through this thread sometime at some of the builds that have been done and see how well that they perform. I measured my DTF to be at 5mm, but who's being technical?
Robert4613 is offline Find More Posts by Robert4613
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:45 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,162 Posts
Yeah, who? (We must find them and harass them!) One of the downsides is that I can often find a sheet of readibard that has both thicknesses (and worse) in the same sheet. Constant thickness isn't important in poster board! But we all seem to find ways to work with it, don't we?

On the MPF website we keep a picture gallery of planes guys have built using MPF. The range from simple to complex is astounding.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2015, 08:44 PM
Is it spring yet?
United States, UT, Vernal
Joined Nov 2014
1,148 Posts
I'll have to check out that MPF website. Or better yet, maybe I ought to wait until I have the first three built. I'm wanting to start restoring my old truck sometime, and I can't have a bunch of planes out in the garage because I had ran out of room in my basement.
Robert4613 is offline Find More Posts by Robert4613
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:27 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,684 Posts
Come on do it! You know you want to..
Planes are easy to move around and can even hang up high so as to be out of the way for the vehicle restoration.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Feb 15, 2015, 01:25 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,548 Posts
Iam like a few here and know if i try MPF my stack of dtf wont ever be used ever again or maybe only for formers and such . I will buy some MPF very soon knowing i want to build some better looking scale planes. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Feb 15, 2015, 04:03 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,162 Posts
Ah, temptation! It is nice to have choices, though. I find that i use both, depending on the plane and the function on it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2015, 04:15 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Ah, temptation! It is nice to have choices, though. I find that i use both, depending on the plane and the function on it.
I get stacks of dow blue 1/4 inch fanfold also but it weighs more.
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup