Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 21, 2014, 01:36 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Oct 2008
298 Posts
Discussion
How do I fix the this hobbyist/hobbyist issue?!?

Last night a new modeler came to the park and was having trouble flying his Eflite Carbon Cub (the small one)... He's a local doctor in town and a SUPER nice guy. We've watched him bust up plane after plane. Well, I decided to help him and when I took off, the Cub went straight up and straight down, effectively destroying the aircraft. Of course I felt horrible. After 5 min. of him declining my offer to replace it, I called my wife and had her bring over MY almost new Carbon Cub. While he was flying another plane I snuck the good plane into his trunk and took the busted one out.

At the end of the session he caught my trick and STILL insisted that we've helped him out more than enough and our friendship was basically worth more than a plane (I'm paraphrasing a little but you get the point)

Anyway, I still feel horrible as the Cub was darn near new - he'd crashed it before I took over and that's why I helped in the first place. A mentor of mine told me there are good, decent people in the world, accept it, and leave it at that. I still feel bad. If anyone out there has a neat idea on what I could do please feel free to chime in!!
Kevinfred is offline Find More Posts by Kevinfred
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2014, 02:34 PM
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Jan 2006
1,095 Posts
If he is new to flying, I'd build him a Slow Stick or something similar, and help him get started with an easy flying airframe.
You're a good man for doing this.
gofish is offline Find More Posts by gofish
Old Apr 21, 2014, 03:06 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,412 Posts
That's a great idea, gofish! Kevin, browse on over in the scratchbuilt foamies forum andd pick any of twenty or so easy build easy flyers build it and help him train on it! This assumes that his problem is basic learning the sticks and spatial maneuvering. If he just tends to over fly his planes pushing them beyond their flight envelope, maybe a different tack....
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2014, 07:57 PM
Joined Oct 2008
298 Posts
these are good ideas - heading over to buy the electronics now --- hehe this'll be fun...

his main problem is that moves the sticks WAY TOO MUCH and his radio doesn't have expo.

The funny thing is this man operates on EYEBALLS for a living so he must have a steady hand!!!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:04 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,504 Posts
I think he'd appreciate it more just teaching him to fly properly. If he doesn't mind, just stand behind him and give him corrections verbally. As you say, not so much movements on the sticks, etc. I think he may appreciate it more just showing him how not to crunch his planes.
Used to teach in our club.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:26 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
6,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinfred View Post
his radio doesn't have expo.
what radio does he use?

ps - low rates are a good alternative.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Apr 22, 2014, 02:23 PM
Joined Oct 2008
298 Posts
he has the DX5... we'll keep with him for sure, helping him along the way..
Old Apr 22, 2014, 03:25 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
6,929 Posts
the DX5 does have expo. please see page 9: http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/EFLU1680-Manual_EN.pdf
Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:10 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,602 Posts
You need to have him get an EPP foam plane with the motor in the back on a pod such as this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1703262

Or this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1963305
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Last edited by JohnM; Apr 22, 2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:35 PM
United States, NY, Massapequa Park
Joined Oct 2008
124 Posts
Or maybe have him look into a sim? No such thing as too much practice
Livipers is offline Find More Posts by Livipers
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:15 PM
Servos can't have all the fun!
Athens, Alabama
Joined Jun 2005
1,116 Posts
If you do decide to build the good doctor an airplane (Slow Stick or otherwise), position the pushrods in the servo arms and control horns so as to reduce the control surface movement for a given amount of servo arm rotation. Full servo throw should not exceed the maximum recommended travel of the control surface. Even a little less than recommended would be fine for early training. Secondly, ensure that the CG is well forward in the allowable range. With some expo cranked in, that should make for a docile training aircraft.

Another suggestion would be get him a HobbyZone UMX Champ. Once trimmed, I've hand-launched mine with the throttle about 40-45% and the transmitter on the ground. In calm conditions, it is so stable I can watch it fly for awhile before picking up the transmitter. If you get into trouble at any time in the flight, close the throttle and take your hands off the sticks. The Champ will recover to a glide, and, left alone, will land itself without damage.

Good luck!

MB6
Moonbeam Six is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam Six
Old Apr 23, 2014, 06:37 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,118 Posts
Sorry to put a damper on this, but my experience as an instructor has not been positive. Of the half-dozen or so novices I've worked with over the years, NONE has become competent. And none have stuck with it.

I use a buddy box, I'm polite, I don't indulge in a lot of useless chatter that could distract the student, and I'm generous with my time and equipment. When I do talk, I keep it down to basic flying principles and how an airplane behaves, so the student will have some idea how to control it.

It seems that either students don't want to get started, the weather is bad, the scheduling is a problem, or they don't catch on and get discouraged. Or maybe they don't think it's worth their time. Or maybe they're thinking of flying a P-51, when they need to begin with a Piper Cub.

Another factor is, in order to fly at our club field, students must become AMA members and join the club. That's a turn-off to the casually interested person.

So I'm reluctant to take on a student anymore. At age 75, all the flying time I have available I want to use for myself.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Last edited by JRuggiero; Apr 23, 2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 07:10 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,504 Posts
We have flight instruction in our club with 3 flight instructors. Wed afternoon and Sun afternoon for instruction. I don't teach novices but like to teach aerobatics as it's more versatile and interesting, also the next step after getting their wings. Amazing how the younger generation with the electronic games and such, catch on. Was showing a young lad about 10 yrs old a couple of days ago, and he wasn't afraid to try the loops and rolls for the first time. He listened to what I was saying and had no trouble. At least his old man didn't have to repair any planes when he got home. I get my jollies by seeing the big grin on the student's faces. Still going at it at 77yrs. Fun to pass it on.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Apr 23, 2014, 08:10 AM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
517 Posts
We reserve Tuesday evenings for solely for beginner instruction. The club also has two or three glow planes for training purposes.

I really like the new wireless buddy box function on the DX9!

I was flying one of my 32 inch 3D profile foamies and a neighborhood kid asked to fly it. I set him up on my DX8, took it way up high turned it over to him, was great fun!
wayfaringdreamer is online now Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:11 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
6,929 Posts
@JRuggiero - i don't blame you, i think you are better off spending your time flying. flypaper2 may have it right because he's teaching advanced students who have already demonstrated a commitment to the hobby. for many beginners it's likely a fad that they expect to pick up right away. for many of them, if it isn't instant and easy, their attention is lost.