HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2013, 10:09 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,664 Posts
Discussion
2 hacker super zooms - different flight characteristics ?

I got a new hacker super zoom for a back up as I figured it was entirely possible that I might destroy the first at some time as this is the plane that I learn stuff on first. Anyway, they are both set up basically identical except that the newer one has a more powerful motor. They both balance out at the same place, but the old one is slightly heavier. They are both set up neutral on cg and fly nice and level inverted or upright without elevator input. But, the old one is a natural ke machine, just roll it over on its side and match rudder input to throttle (speed) and fly it as far as you want straight and level on its side. Throw the new one into a ke and it will try to fly tight circles toward the wheels and toward the ground. I'm talking strong pull toward the wheels. Give me some things to check - help?
Edit: battery location and component location is esentially identical on both.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2013, 10:15 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,691 Posts
Without actually seeing the plane and setup it is a little hard to diagnose but tucking to the gear generally indicates that the plane is tail heavy. A tail heavy plane needs down elevator to fly level. In ke flight down elevator will cause the plane to tuck to the gear.

Here is a little check. Fly the plane inverted at half throttle and then add power slowly to full. If you plane starts to climb (that's go up toward the sky when inverted in this case) then it is indeed tail heavy and your problem is diagnosed. Another possibility is that a mix is active that you did not know was active. You would be looking for a rudder to elevator mix to disable.

Let's start there and see how you make out.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Jul 07, 2013, 06:47 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,664 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the inverted- add throttle part. I have checked for a hidden mix enough times I've about worn out the buttons on the transmitter. As I noted earlier, the typical cg test of inverted or upright - level flight with no elevator input either way works at any specific speed I have tried, but haven't specifically tried advancing throttle while flying level inverted. This one is really bugging me. It makes a very tight turn toward the wheels when I roll it over on it's side. Someone in another forum suggested maybe I was using too much rudder - so I have to try this one too. I know my older super zoom will just do a tight ke loop if you use too much rudder though.
Old Jul 07, 2013, 07:55 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,504 Posts
If it's turning towards the bottom it shows that you may have a lot of down trim on the elevator. In other words the elev is acting like a rudder. Try raising bot ails maybe 1/8 in. then test fly it and retrim. This should cause you to retrim the elev with a bit more up trim., then try knifedge again. When you hit the magic spot, you should be able to knifedge in a straight line. You can see, if you went to far with the ails up, you would need a lot of up trim causing the plane to go towards to top of the plane in knifedge.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jul 07, 2013, 10:42 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,664 Posts
Thanks Gord, I'll try this one too. Elevator looks to be as straight as it can be now, but I understand your rationale. I'll also compare the aileron position on the two of them to see if that gives me a clue to point in this direction. Deciding what is exactly level on aileron's is sometimes a guessing game of sorts. On the Super zoom I have always used the fuse stiffner as a reference for aileron position as this is located approximately at the centerline of the wing. Something like this seems more likely than cg, as I have played with cg front to back without help.

Edit: hey Gord, could raising the aileron's possibly be the wrong direction. Almost sounds like raising the aileron's might push it toward the wheels - which it's already doing. - But I'll check it out anyway.
Old Jul 07, 2013, 03:53 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,504 Posts
That's more or less what you want it to do. Right now you need to use up elev to make it fly straight in knifedge. By raising the ails. THEN retrimming it, needing up elev. trim, to compensate for the different ail setting. This sounds like mud to me too but it works.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2