HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Jul 2012
24 Posts
Build Log
Sig Rascal 110 2012 Build Thread

Hi Guys, I thought I would share my Sig Rascal 110 build thread with you all, share some ideas, and questions as well. I have read thru old threads and thought I would start a fresh thread for this awesome plane.

So here's my electric conversion set-up.

Hacker A22s
Castle HV110
12s Turnigy 40-50c (two 6s 5000 in series)
Mejzlik 20x12 carbon 3 blade

50v x 80a = 4000w

So first I mounted the motor in it's cage and got it mounted in the proper place on the firewall, (so I can see what firewall space is left for the battery drawer).

This motor looks pretty big/heavy, am I a candidate for the tail mounted servo?
(what does your power plant weigh with prop)?

Here are some pics
Old Rascal is offline Find More Posts by Old Rascal
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Jul 2012
24 Posts
Wow, not one post or encouraging word?

Well, been busy with work and my kids, but got a chance yesterday to do some work on the Rascal 110. I cut out my firewall and made a battery drawer.
First I made a shelf and bolted it to the floor and front of firewall, (not glued, so it can b removed if i need to get at the landing gear blindnuts). Then I made the tray that will slide in and out of the shelf. I need to go get some smaller blindnuts so I can secure the lipo tray to the front of the firewall. Here are some more pics, hope this thread isn't in the wrong forum, don't wanna be wasting my time posting all of this if there is no interest.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:47 PM
texas
Joined Oct 2003
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rascal View Post
Wow, not one post or encouraging word?

Well, been busy with work and my kids, but got a chance yesterday to do some work on the Rascal 110. I cut out my firewall and made a battery drawer.
First I made a shelf and bolted it to the floor and front of firewall, (not glued, so it can b removed if i need to get at the landing gear blindnuts). Then I made the tray that will slide in and out of the shelf. I need to go get some smaller blindnuts so I can secure the lipo tray to the front of the firewall. Here are some more pics, hope this thread isn't in the wrong forum, don't wanna be wasting my time posting all of this if there is no interest.
11 to 13 pounds with a 110 inch wing.....should be a great flyer. Looks like ya have plenty of power there. I just test flew my Kadet Senior. Almost an 80 inch wing and it looks so big in the sky compared to what i usually fly.
Best of luck on your maiden.
steelfaith1 is online now Find More Posts by steelfaith1
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:23 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
Hi

The way I'm interpreting the pics you posted, is that the batteries are to be changed from the front of the fuselage. Are you planning to modify the cowl to facilitate battery changes?

Odd
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:26 AM
Joined Jul 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of odd View Post
Hi

The way I'm interpreting the pics you posted, is that the batteries are to be changed from the front of the fuselage. Are you planning to modify the cowl to facilitate battery changes?

Odd

Yes, I will be cutting an opening in the bottom front of the cowl to load the lipo tray thru the front. I will have a seperate arming switch for the motor making it impossible for it to energize until I am well clear of the prop.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:15 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I will be cutting an opening in the bottom front of the cowl to load the lipo tray thru the front. I will have a seperate arming switch for the motor making it impossible for it to energize until I am well clear of the prop.
Hehe, yes I'll admit that was my first thought too- better have an arming switch (4000W vs. fingers=)

Please post more pics... I've always liked the sexy retro look of the Rascal.

Odd
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:35 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
953 Posts
Wow, that is one XXL power setup. Mine flys great with only a 16-8, but then mine is a 4 stroker 1.60 twin. Looking good so far on the battery tray.
mewert is offline Find More Posts by mewert
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:12 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Welcome to the Rascal club. I've posted this on the other thread several months ago but thought you might find it useful in the rest of your build. I have done this electric conversion on 3 Rascals and two other planes in the last five years and have found is works great.

http://skyjet.webs.com/index.htm
skyjet is offline Find More Posts by skyjet
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:34 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Quote:

So here's my electric conversion set-up.

Hacker A22s
Castle HV110
12s Turnigy 40-50c (two 6s 5000 in series)
Mejzlik 20x12 carbon 3 blade

50v x 80a = 4000w

So first I mounted the motor in it's cage and got it mounted in the proper place on the firewall, (so I can see what firewall space is left for the battery drawer).

This motor looks pretty big/heavy, am I a candidate for the tail mounted servo?
(what does your power plant weigh with prop)?

Here are some pics
I would mount the rudder servo in the servo bay under the wing to start with and see how it balances when it is ready to fly. If you need more weight in the tail it is very easy to move it back. To install it in the tail, you need to cut the covering where the servo mounts. If you mount it in the tail first and find out latter you need to move it back forward, you will have a hole to patch where the servo was.

I don't know anything about the motor you are using, but it sounds like a lot of prop for your set up. I have a 12 cell set up on mine and I'm running a 20 X 10 APC 2 blade electric prop on mine. Mine has been clocked at 114mph and has been logged to 2800' strait up. Mine weighs 16lbs ready to fly. 3200W
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:48 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet View Post
Welcome to the Rascal club. I've posted this on the other thread several months ago but thought you might find it useful in the rest of your build. I have done this electric conversion on 3 Rascals and two other planes in the last five years and have found is works great.

http://skyjet.webs.com/index.htm
Hey Skyjet, thanks for posting your tutorial website. I have been wanting to get a site up for my stuff and that looks good.
mewert is offline Find More Posts by mewert
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:40 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewert View Post
Hey Skyjet, thanks for posting your tutorial website. I have been wanting to get a site up for my stuff and that looks good.
You are most welcome! The tutorial is on free web space. I have gotten my own domain but I'm not sure what I want to do with it. I think it will be a winter project.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Jul 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet View Post
I don't know anything about the motor you are using, but it sounds like a lot of prop for your set up. I have a 12 cell set up on mine and I'm running a 20 X 10 APC 2 blade electric prop on mine.

It is a $160 carbon fiber prop I bought 2nd hand for $60 bucks.
I am running 12s because I have 6s and 12s helis.
I have a watt meter, I'll post some video when it comes time to do some power testing.
I have many different brands of motors, and my fleet of Hackers are bullet proof, (and very underated)

How many amps were u drawing on that huge climbout?
Got any Eagle Tree data?
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:33 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Quote:

How many amps were u drawing on that huge climbout?
Got any Eagle Tree data?
I have an Eagle Tree but it has been a long time since I've used it. I think it was only pulling 65A.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Jul 2012
24 Posts
Where did u guys mount ur speed controllers?
How far forward or back were ur batteries?
(did u have to move them all the way forward, (or back) to balance the plane)?
thanks for the help guys
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:54 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,088 Posts
Old Rascal - Assuming that motor you have is an A60-22S, the prop you're planning to use is way too much for it on 12S. On 10S, Hacker quote an 18 x 10 TWO blade will draw 62 Amps. That 3 blade you show will probably draw nearer 100 Amps on 12S, so you need to have a re-think about your prop if you can't drop to 10S. If you have an A60-xxL kicking around, that might be a better choice.
GordonTarling is online now Find More Posts by GordonTarling