Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:17 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,847 Posts
I'm still laughing so I'll have to tell y'all about my adventure today.....later!
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Jan 2005
4,847 Posts
Ok........so it was snowing out, the winds are/were 45 mph +, and good size oak trees are crashing to the ground at a rate of 1 every 10 minutes (the area was logged recently and when too many trees are removed the topsoil is disturbed to the point that trees, left to mature, don't have as strong a foothold as they once did and the other more mature trees also provided a wind break for the smaller ones.....and now they're gone.) I placed the five of them along a deer path bordering the oaks and the swamp.....(two of them have pacemakers and I didn't want to be responsible for their deaths by marching them miles in what they called a "blizzard"!) I then still-hunted beyond all of them and then zigzagged back towards them (that's the part that still sends shivers up my spine thinking about it). When I got to the spot where the last one was dropped off.......no one was there......I got to the next spot.......no one was there.........the next......no one...........the next........no one........and their tracks are gone even! Well, it turns out that they lasted about 20 minutes and they all walked back to the van where I found them all watching movies and playing video games on their smart phones or Nintendos! They were getting worried about me............good thing I decided to check up on them........otherwise they might have come out looking for me......with not one of them knowing how to read a compass, map, or the terrain!
So they had their taste of "hunting" and on the drive back to my house.....my brother-in-law almost wipes us all out as the tires on his van have to have been completely bald for us to be spinning down the highway first one way and then the next........missing going straight into the huge trees just off the road!!!!!! I told him to drive 20mph or I was going to drive.......you should have heard the boys screaming as that van was spinning out of control........the day after Thanksgiving has me giving thanks for my life!!!!!! Why me Lord! Why me!!!!! I'm still pretty shaken by it all....
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:25 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,321 Posts
Snowy that sounds like a hair-raising experience that you and your family will be sure to remember for the rest of time. Glad you all survived to live another day!
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:40 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
So the indoor range was a better idea?
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:48 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Yes Sir.. Spread Recktrum Module until the new Nano XPS rx's come out. I have grown to like programming the RX's more then the TX so I am spoiled.

I have never played with the programming mixes outside of their use by default. I know you and Kerwin had mentioned moving off of 8 so I thought you all had a plan, and thanks much for sharing. I ordered 2 of the Servo Reversers last night <8 bucks each> and I will need one for the flaps since I am running low on channels with the bomb drop is needed.

Thanks Wayne!
I don't like the reversers that I have tried too much. I do have one in the Kadet on the bomb doors. I know I should have stuck with one servo but I grew tired of working on it and went to two servos. I will warn you that the weight of whatever is in the bomb bay can load those servos quite a bit if you don't get them some mechanical advantage. I initially did not put a separator in the bay to keep the load away from the servo arms. That was not good either so I fixed it.

Waldo, you never offend. I am just a weenie when it comes to scratch/kit building. I do better when I am working on something that is not available ready-made.

I started a a 52.5" WS Electrifly Mr. Mulligan with another club member today - his plane. I am looking for a better outcome than the BS60. It is going pretty fast. Wings done, landing gear done, tail feathers mounted, tail wheel done, and the dummy radial started. This is going to be a nice looking plane.

Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Jan 2005
4,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
So the indoor range was a better idea?
Yes, Wayne........if I lived anywhere near one..........I think the nearest one is somewhere in Wisconsin.....or in Lower Michigan perhaps.....we're lucky to have electricity remember and indoor plumbing is a recent addition!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:33 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Yes, Wayne........if I lived anywhere near one..........I think the nearest one is somewhere in Wisconsin.....or in Lower Michigan perhaps.....we're lucky to have electricity remember and indoor plumbing is a recent addition!
OK, a box of clays and a hand thrower.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:03 PM
United States, KY, Murray
Joined Jan 2012
12 Posts
Anyone interesred in a like new twist 60 airframe
tkimbro55 is offline Find More Posts by tkimbro55
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:25 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,709 Posts
Snowman that's one heckuva an adventure to say the very least I'm just glad you were able to write about without double letters in most of the words from shaking I can only imagine the terror on all the faces in the van

Oh no Wayne say it isn't so if you build another beautiful bird it will be hanging next to your Jet at least crack a few ribs and the fin so you'll fly it lol what don't you like about the reversers I have been fortuneate enough to have never had a problem with them.
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:08 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,490 Posts
Snowy I think you should of take my advice on stray cats. LOL
Better yet I have one here at the complex I could bring for Addey next time I'm up.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Jan 2005
4,847 Posts
Kerwin.......cats won't enter any house I live in until after I'm laid to rest.....permanent like!

Wayne, no matter what........a bunch of holy terrors is still a bunch of holy terrors.....clay pigeons or not! Thanks for the suggestion though......I've not even shot at clays in 45-69 mph winds.....

They just left and tomorrow I only have two of them coming and I'm driving my vehicle! They get one more chance at me!...
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:59 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,709 Posts
Good luck Snowman you brave soul lol

Well suppose to be in the 30's with 22mph someodd winds the winds aint nuttin to what we've been flying in and then we are closing the field up for the winter as I won't be there next week and we'll probably have snow in 2 weeks time anyway. But the Building season can begin
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:30 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I don't like the reversers that I have tried too much. I do have one in the Kadet on the bomb doors. I know I should have stuck with one servo but I grew tired of working on it and went to two servos. I will warn you that the weight of whatever is in the bomb bay can load those servos quite a bit if you don't get them some mechanical advantage. I initially did not put a separator in the bay to keep the load away from the servo arms. That was not good either so I fixed it.

Well... I ordered 2, one for the Elevator if it could not get sorted out and one for the Flaps since I need the additional channel for the Bomb doors. One servo is enough of a fight for the doors. A quick negative G push just prior to tossin the switch helps take the weight off the doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I'm still laughing so I'll have to tell y'all about my adventure today.....later!
How do you get yourself in these things...
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:43 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
wookster I'd love to video you hovering the twist for the ho down thread.
I need to get back up there. I still have the photos from our first meet on the camera. Life has kept me busy. Out here in branson I brought my micro planes and helis, well wouldnt you know the owner of the hotel is an Rc freak like me. WE had two good evenings of glying helis and micro birds. Poor guy had sold most of his stuff last month. After 5 years of owning the hotel I was the first guest to ever fly an RC plane there. Certainly good people, and if you find yourself in branson, stay at the 12 oaks. They go out of there way to protect us tourists from the timeshare sharks out here.

Also may be a bit off topic, but i gotta share some trip photos. My little girl has been an angel. thes not even a year and a half old, but she plays games at cracker barrel, owns the waterpark, and loves a stroll on the showboat. I also threw in a picture of how an RC addict packs his car for a vacation. Mrs. Wookster is in there as well. Going to be hard to leave my beautiful family on monday to go back to work.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:51 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,321 Posts
Well guys, time to head home...like wookster said it will be hard to go to work on Monday and leave family behind. 17 hours...your trip begins...now! Talk to you guys later!
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974