HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2002, 12:30 PM
Rochester, MN
Joined Nov 2002
983 Posts
Excellent Service from Tower Hobbies

I'm a newbie in r/c planes and finally got the courage to get started. My extensive experience in internet purchases has been mediocre till now. I ordered a rtf from Tower Hobbies on a Monday and it arrived Wednesday; ordered more stuff on Wednesday and arrived on Friday (all in the same week). I called their customer service and there were real people answering. Had a problem with one item and they send me a postage-free return card and the replacement item ASAP. Wow!! That's what I call service!! I wish all the merchants we dealt with gave us such service and look forward to reading about them in this forum.
evan is offline Find More Posts by evan
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2002, 06:35 AM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,686 Posts
Hi Evan,

I'm a long time Tower Hobbies customer and have always been very happy with them. Until now. I ordered a radio system from them via phone about 10 days ago. I've recently moved and I called them back about a half hour later to confirm I gave them the correct steet address. The lady I spoke with said she had no record of the order, or of me in the computer. She was very unhelpful and acted like she didn't care. The only thing she could suggest was placing the order again. I expressed my concern that placing a second order would result in me getting two radios. However, she didn't care about my concern and she asked if I wanted to place an order, or not.

I chose to not make a second phone order and to place another order via the internet so I would have a record of the transaction. Well you guessed it, they shipped me two radios. Tomorrow the second radio is going back, (at my expense per their return policy) I've included a note saying they shipped me two radios by their mistake and asking them to contact me at my e-mail address to discuss the matter. I will be sure to check back here to post if they ever got back to me.

Mickydee
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Nov 14, 2002, 11:36 AM
Rochester, MN
Joined Nov 2002
983 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Mickydee. Every jungle has a snake or two and you run into theirs (next time take down names, date, time and conversation notes for grievance procedings). I do a lot of purchases over the net and this is the FIRST time that I've been truly impressed. I hope Tower hears about this and rectify your situation, it'll be a shame to lose a long-time customer.
evan is offline Find More Posts by evan
Old Dec 27, 2002, 09:21 AM
WORK!
Joined Jul 2002
407 Posts
Placed my first RC order with a major company - Tower Hobbies -I'm new to the hobby. Had a very good experience. I missed a discount code on the website when I submitted the initial order. Called them the next day and they discounted the order and credited my card. They didn't have to do this, because the offer specifically states it is not retroactive. No hassle, didn't even have to hold my breath . Also, the online order status page was updated quickly and notified me everything shipped one day after the ordered was placed.

I definitely will continue to order from "cottage industries" i.e. avid modelers trying to supplement their hobbies through home or small businesses, but it is nice to have a few stores with large inventories.
Howard
hweird is offline Find More Posts by hweird
Old Dec 27, 2002, 05:01 PM
SF Bay Area
Joined Dec 2002
20 Posts
I have given a lot of business to TH and I have always been very imprerssed with their web site (when it isn't being upgraded Their efficiency in giving you feedback on the progress of your order through the system is truly great. Note however I haven't had to send anything back, until yesterday. I had a malfunctioning 020 brushless and I sent it back - I'll see how efficient they are in honoring their own exchange policy.
nickk is offline Find More Posts by nickk
Old Nov 29, 2014, 04:28 PM
United States, PA, Meadville
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
I placed an order on a day they were closed ( thanksgiving) and found I needed to cancel that night. I called but there was no answer so I sent an email and called as soon as they opened the next day. I was told it was too late as they had packed it last night and even though it was being shipped from the Reno warehouse which was not due to open for two more hours it was too late to pull the box and I should be more careful in ordering in the future and I could send it back when I got it but there may be a fee since there was no defect of product or wrongdoing on their part.

I realize they are big but the rude way that she spoke to me left me concerned .

I do not see why she couldn't call the Reno warehouse as soon as they opened and at least try to help me out.

Smaller outfits such as HeadsUp and RadicalRC have for me been very flexible and helped both in the addition to or cancelling of orders many times for me. They get the majority of my business.
davovinch is offline Find More Posts by davovinch
Old Nov 30, 2014, 10:07 AM
Lou
Ground Penetration Tester
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davovinch View Post
I placed an order on a day they were closed ( thanksgiving) and found I needed to cancel that night. I called but there was no answer so I sent an email and called as soon as they opened the next day. I was told it was too late as they had packed it last night and even though it was being shipped from the Reno warehouse which was not due to open for two more hours it was too late to pull the box and I should be more careful in ordering in the future and I could send it back when I got it but there may be a fee since there was no defect of product or wrongdoing on their part.

I realize they are big but the rude way that she spoke to me left me concerned .

I do not see why she couldn't call the Reno warehouse as soon as they opened and at least try to help me out.

Smaller outfits such as HeadsUp and RadicalRC have for me been very flexible and helped both in the addition to or cancelling of orders many times for me. They get the majority of my business.
What you are missing about this is that in that Reno facility, that box with your order is/was either sitting in a hugh stacked pile of other boxes either on the floor or in the shipping trailer. This is how it is with many of the large vendors.

As these orders come in they are almost instantly sent to a 'pick' area where the employee, one or more are pulling merchandise to satisfy your order. When all of that is done, the box is taped, addressed and placed into a ship pile or directly onto a UPS or whatever shippers trailer that is stationed at the shipping door. This entire process, depending on how busy the day is and how big the order is may only take 10 minutes. It can be done very quickly if properly managed.

Towers is not about to go rummaging through a trailer or a pile of boxes for you or anyone really. It is not cost effective. Simply return the package to Towers when it arrives.

Now, this is no different than what is experienced by an LHS that places an order. Once their rep makes that order it is very difficult to add to or substract from that order. When the rep sends that order to the warehouse, they are picking and packing as fast as they can.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2014, 03:23 PM
United States, PA, Meadville
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
I worked in retail and wholesale warehousing for years for a really large company and we were always told that if it was at all possible we were to make every effort to satisfy the customer regardless of their request.
Customer service is our number one product... not how much we can cram out the door in 8 hours.
Yes. we went through piles of freight, sometimes several pallet loads to find a single part for a customer, or to stop an order, we opened cages and sorted through tote after tote if necessary.
We did it for our customer because they told us it was important.
Was it true, who knows,
were we making money doing it- I doubt it-
but we became a number one supplier and won awards and bonuses for our efforts.
and no one worked there for long who was ever rude to a customer.
davovinch is offline Find More Posts by davovinch