SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2014, 04:10 PM
United States, CA, Eastvale
Joined Sep 2007
350 Posts
Discussion
Hobby People F450 Quad DIY Starter Kit

I'm getting this HobbyPeople quad.
Has anyone have experience with this model?
Thanks.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/hpheli-f4...FQqEfgodpx4ALg
leadpan is offline Find More Posts by leadpan
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2014, 02:22 PM
Joined Apr 2014
10 Posts
I'm an old timer RC Sailplane guy, and I decided to educate myself about quads by building the Hobby People f450. I wasn't patient enough to order online, so I went to the store and bought it. I have spent the last couple of weeks putting it together, and here is a log of my build.

First, the kit should come with the Power Adapter, but it is NOT included in the package. You can't get past step 3 of 11 in the instructions without it, and to not include it in the kit is a crime. I had to go back to the store and of course it was out of stock and I had to wait a week, and then when I got it I realized later you ALSO need a mounting kit. I can't believe the mounting kit is not included with the adapter. Rather than go all the way back to the store, I figured out a way to mount it with zip ties, but still, this omission on the part of Hobby People is nearly unforgivable.

So with that, here is a look at my build...

First, attach top frame to struts. I am keeping the White struts as the FRONT of the craft and the Red struts as the BACK (makes sense, headlights and taillights, right?)
Name: HP_f450_01.jpeg
Views: 98
Size: 577.1 KB
Description:

Flip it over and roughly attach ESCs. Keep them close to the access holes in the frame. I moved them closer after this picture was taken, and zip tied around the ESC, rather than the wire.
Name: HP_f450_02.jpeg
Views: 137
Size: 566.8 KB
Description:

Flip it upside down again, and insert the Power Adapter and attach the power cables from the ESCs. Make sure the order is correct.
Name: HP_f450_03.jpeg
Views: 126
Size: 571.6 KB
Description:

Close up...
Name: HP_f450_04.jpeg
Views: 159
Size: 489.1 KB
Description:

Rather than attach the board with a mounting kit, which was NOT provided, I used 4 zip ties inserted through the connection holes and through the frame.
Name: HP_f450_05.jpeg
Views: 140
Size: 336.1 KB
Description:

Then slide another zip tie onto each of the first ties. Notice at this point I labeled each ESC with its correct number (and the eventual rotor direction) with a Sharpy so I didn't need to keep looking at the documentation to remember which is which.
Name: HP_f450_06.jpeg
Views: 136
Size: 582.7 KB
Description:

Pull the zip ties tight, clip off the ends, and it seems to hold the power board fairly well. It's not super tight, but the battery will eventually squeeze in under the board and hold it firm. It would probably be best if they just included the mounting hardware WITH THE BOARD, and included the board WITH THE KIT! (curse you, HP!)
Name: HP_f450_07.jpeg
Views: 150
Size: 619.4 KB
Description:

ESC cables attached to board. Be careful with polarity!
Name: HP_f450_08.jpeg
Views: 143
Size: 487.6 KB
Description:

Attach the motors. The wires hang out to the side.
Name: HP_f450_09.jpeg
Views: 101
Size: 477.6 KB
Description:

Solder the pins to the ends of the wires.
Name: HP_f450_10.jpeg
Views: 128
Size: 618.4 KB
Description:

Put on the shrink tubing, and then you are ready to attach the motors to the ESCs.
Name: HP_f450_11.jpeg
Views: 102
Size: 573.0 KB
Description:

Put on the bottom plate of the frame. Attach the flight controller to the top with the double sided tape. It fits perfectly between the zip ties!
Name: HP_f450_12.jpeg
Views: 141
Size: 398.8 KB
Description:

NOTE: I have no idea if this is the right way to wire up the controller, but I think it is correct:

ESC 1 - White
ESC 2 - Grey
ESC 3 - Green
ESC 4 - Orange

are plugged into the bottom corresponding pins on the controller.

The double connector with the Red and Black wires is plugged into the middle and top pin of ESC 5, to hopefully provide power for the controller. CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THIS (while I wait for confirmation from the People at Hobby People)?? This is not clear in the documentation. Nobody at the store had any idea so I called HP headquarters and left a message. This has been the biggest mystery of the whole project, and I still don't have an answer.
Name: HP_f450_13.jpeg
Views: 154
Size: 585.5 KB
Description:

With a battery inserted (it BARELY fits, and is held in place with an additional velcro strap), and the props lightly placed on the motors for a photo-op, the thing is almost done. Now I just need a radio and receiver. Basically we are done with the kit build.
Name: HP_f450_15.jpeg
Views: 143
Size: 473.1 KB
Description:

Monkus the Test Pilot patiently waits for the final clean-up, calibrations, and radio instructions...
Name: HP_f450_16.jpeg
Views: 129
Size: 546.6 KB
Description:

Basically this seems like a solid build so far. The kit, the power board, and a 3S 2200 mAh battery all together cost me about $250. Not too bad. I have no idea how it's going to fly, but when I get the radio going and get it all set up I will post an update. Happy Flying!
InPhase is offline Find More Posts by InPhase
Last edited by InPhase; May 10, 2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: images not displayed
Old May 11, 2014, 10:34 AM
Joined Sep 2007
350 Posts
Nice!
InPhase we're both doing the same build, cool!
I've experienced the same issues like you have with circuit board and mounting screws.
I used small mount screws from HomeDepot. Also I added CD holder as housing on top, then got aluminium rod and wooden skid for landing gear. Not maiden yet due to problem binding Rx to Flight Controller. Hopefully will get fixed. Happy flying!
Last edited by leadpan; May 11, 2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old May 11, 2014, 12:21 PM
Joined Apr 2014
10 Posts
Nice canopy! This kit definitely allows for customization, and the ability to do things in different ways. I almost bailed completely on the idea of the power distribution board, and was going to just solder all the wires together, but then it occurred to me that I will probably be upgrading the ESCs and controller fairly soon, and the circuit board will make that easier down the road. My only expectation for this machine is to get it airborne. If it takes off, hovers, and then lands successfully, I will be happy.

Do you think my wiring at the controller is correct?
Old May 15, 2014, 03:27 AM
Joined Apr 2014
10 Posts
Hi, Leadpan. Did you figure out how to bind your receiver to the flight controller? I seem to be stuck there, too. Thanks.
Old May 15, 2014, 10:36 AM
Joined Sep 2007
350 Posts
maiden flight

InPhase, I have another thread here that speak of my issues (and solutions).

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...456#post948456

Basically, here's what I've learned from building this quad:
-Follow manual/direction precisely on calibrating ESC, flight-controller.
-On your transmitter; high/low rate MUST be set to HIGH or will not bind.
-Set the DIP setting (3,4) to match what your receiver is using (mine is set 3,4 ON for OrangeRX R710 - DSMX)
-Transmitter check on f/c by press and HOLD on "set" button on f/c.
-Make sure you calibrate the f/c (throttle up, left, HOLD) on level ground.

Good luck!
My maiden flight #1
Adjusting trims and trying out hovering, yaw, etc.
Hobby People F450 Quad -maiden flight#1 (3 min 55 sec)
Old Jun 01, 2014, 11:16 AM
Joined Apr 2014
10 Posts
Finally got the machine in the air, thanks to the friendly people at my local Hobby People store. They helped me get the settings correct on my transmitter (needed to reverse the aileron and rudder). The first few test flights were rough. The gain setting on the controller was set too high, and the throttle was impossible to control. This led to a pronounced yo-yo effect. I turned the gain way down in hopes this would make it easier to control. Instead, this led to a crazy wobble. I was very happy to have the help of FPV Guy, Bo Lorentzen (www.fpvguy.com), who helped me dial in the correct gain and trim settings and suddenly the thing flew like a dream. Thanks, Bo!

At long last, my brave test pilot, Monkus, took the thing into the sky for its successful maiden voyage...

HP DIY450 Maiden Flight (2 min 36 sec)
Old Jun 01, 2014, 01:09 PM
Joined Sep 2007
350 Posts
Good to hear!
I'm changing my flight-controller to KK2.1 however.
Old Jun 02, 2014, 03:31 PM
Joined Apr 2014
10 Posts
Yes, I think the Flight Controller is the weakest thing in this kit, but it seems to be doing the job, at least. I wish I had more control over the parameters. I forgot to mention the other weak link in the kit: the props. In my first test flight, the original props were making an annoying warbling whistling sound. I traded them out for better, sturdier props and the warble went away.

My next step: Replace the monkey with a FPV system, and put myself in the pilot's seat.
Old Jun 02, 2014, 03:42 PM
Joined Sep 2007
350 Posts
Ha ha.
It seems we're doing similar things. I also got fpv system(ReadyMade 1.3ghz) ready to mount. But I've decided to get a bigger H-quad to put all the gears; and the distance between my FPV video Tx and 2.4Ghz receiver Tx would be good.
I think if I had to do over again; I would gone different route then the HobbyPeople quad. But it was learning experience. Good luck with your progress!

Ready Made RC - 1.3Ghz Receiver and Transmitter setup (11 min 20 sec)
Old Jul 04, 2014, 08:43 PM
Joined Jun 2014
16 Posts
Can't bind reciever to flight controller

Any help guys?
Ewrosales88 is offline Find More Posts by Ewrosales88
Old Jul 05, 2014, 12:55 AM
Joined Sep 2007
350 Posts
Set the Hi/Low rate on radio to Low. That was the problem for me.
Old Jul 05, 2014, 02:26 AM
Joined Jun 2014
16 Posts
I don't know if you can tell but did I wired it right? Thanks!
Old Jul 05, 2014, 12:12 PM
Joined Sep 2007
350 Posts
There was a small manual that comes with this flight-controller; check that.
Also the DIP switch setting must match your receiver type.
Good luck!
Old Jul 06, 2014, 08:26 PM
Joined Jun 2014
16 Posts
Still doesn't work thanks for the info though!