HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:27 AM
United States, OR, Eagle Creek
Joined Apr 2007
183 Posts
watching with interest soon to be helping a friend with his NIB widgeon assembly
motorhead540 is offline Find More Posts by motorhead540
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2015, 06:30 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,208 Posts
Tower Hobby shows parts still in stock, but I'm not sure it the plane is still available. Here is the review I did of the Widgeon back in 2011:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1518706

It may give you some good building tips for your project.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:19 AM
United States, OR, Eagle Creek
Joined Apr 2007
183 Posts
right now the biggest issue is motor selection as he doesn't want to be stuck using the suggested rimfire 400"s.He is looking for other options right now he lives about 2-3 hours from me so we talk over the phone and get together about twice a month .looks like he will need to rework the motor boxes to put different motors in it easily then I see that the cowlings are very thin as well . hope I can get him to get something else to fly before he tries to maiden the widgeon since he has not flown anything in the past 12-15 years or so . had him on my sim Saturday and I would have to say right now I would not let him fly my planes at this time without being on a cord
motorhead540 is offline Find More Posts by motorhead540
Old Jan 20, 2015, 08:56 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,208 Posts
With a wing loading of 30+ oz per Sq Ft, the Widgeon is not a very good first plane, even for someone who has flown before. It flies a lot like a warbird, so try him on a heavy P-51 on the Sim and see how he does. You have to keep the speed up or the Widgeon will stall on landings and water is not as soft and you would think.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28