SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 12, 2015, 09:03 AM
Joined Mar 2011
29 Posts
Is anyone building anything...?

Is anyone building anything...? Well there is always something going on in my garage.

Recent posts made me think about an old model concept I drew up many years ago - pic attached. I still think it is worth a shot.
But that is not what I am building.

Cheers. Graham
WhizzyWigXGE is offline Find More Posts by WhizzyWigXGE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2015, 04:36 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizzyWigXGE View Post
Is anyone building anything...? Well there is always something going on in my garage.

Recent posts made me think about an old model concept I drew up many years ago - pic attached. I still think it is worth a shot.
But that is not what I am building.

Cheers. Graham
Good drawing. Looks interesting.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Jan 13, 2015, 02:01 PM
Joined Sep 2001
56 Posts
Graham,

Care to tell us more about it? It appears the screen on the nose is an intake and side exhaust is for thrust. Does it have PAR?

Reminds me a bit of the Skimmer WIG personal watercraft concept.

A while back, I started a Lippisch reverse delta model and considered PAR. I have been meaning to post a picture of my incomplete project.
nbrophy is offline Find More Posts by nbrophy
Last edited by nbrophy; Jan 13, 2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 04:22 PM
Joined Mar 2011
29 Posts
This drawing is ages old….. the basic idea was a ducted fan version of my MK1 ‘Lippisch’ which looks a bit like Snikkeldak’s but with the prop on the front plus ducted flow to underneath for static cushion.

The sketched concept has a ducted fan in the upper part of the bow with some hull under. Behind the duct would be some vanes that direct the airflow underneath through holes or rearward through the gills. There could have been a self-retracting flap/skirt along the leading edge of the wing to help contain the static cushion during start up. For a while I even though about using an air curtain along the leading edge.

I began building the project once but never completed because I was unsure of an easy wing construction. I built a GRP duct and purchased a .40 cu glow plug engine and fan unit. For sure with that sort of power something exciting would have happened. Anyway, my interest switched back to hydrofoil models so the project was abandoned.

If I started the project today I’d build the wing out of foambaord - simple. And go electric. Also I have many sketches where the single nose duct and gills are replace by two ducted fan units, one either side of the bow – but still with vanes to direct part of the flow under or above the wing.

There are two potential problem areas with this design –(1) when you direct flow under the wing you sacrifice propulsion needed for control and acceleration. This will probably be OK over land, but not over water. (2) stability can be tricky as the centre of lift will move around a lot. So one might need more tail area than I have shown. But who knows….? One day I might return to this and give it a try.
WhizzyWigXGE is offline Find More Posts by WhizzyWigXGE
Old Jan 13, 2015, 09:33 PM
Joined Jan 2014
24 Posts
Research Paper

This Australian Paper may be of interest.

http://www.abbottaerospace.com/downl...raftReview.pdf
yuvie1 is offline Find More Posts by yuvie1
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:12 PM
Joined Sep 2001
56 Posts
Here is picture of my attempt at a WIG model.

It is a reverse-delta lippisch built using simple foam board and wood dowel frame construction. I anticipated the model having frequent contact with the ground, so the construction is quite robust for a model of its size (about 13”span and 20”nose to tail).

The airfoil is a simple yet chunky KFm-2. I was anticipating mounting two EDFs ahead of the main wings a la Ekranoplan PAR configuration, but I may rethink due to the added complexity for my first WIG . I need to follow the suggestions in Graham's “A Practical Guide to Wig Models” article and keep it simple!

I found while conducting some gliding test to establish CG and electronics placement fitting, there a few areas that needed a major redesign (extend nose forward, scale up, less complex wing planform, etc.). I got overly concerned with the aesthetics and did not focus enough on the craft functionality during the build. I never got around to starting an updated version. I hope to be able to revisit the model at some point.
nbrophy is offline Find More Posts by nbrophy
Old Jan 16, 2015, 01:08 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Jun 2014
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizzyWigXGE View Post
Is anyone building anything...?
I've been way less active here than I've wanted - I joined this forum for this thread, the little loved hovercraft section still feels like home though

The problem is building my first ekranoplan got me into the dangerous world of foam and cheap rc gear, which has now resulted in me spawning a hovercraft, airboat, various plane projects, and also a quadcopter for good measure.

I do have plenty of free time just now and the weather is awful so I've been revamping a few models. Going to strip down my old ekrano and rebuild the body to get the CG in a better place, also a side effect of messing about with planes is I can now build a better airfoil for the tail than a flat bit of depron.

Quote:
I got overly concerned with the aesthetics and did not focus enough on the craft functionality during the build
Been there and done that, I think a lot of us have. I sometimes feel the opposite can be worse though - something that works great while being so ugly you can't stand to look at it isn't much fun.
FiftySlicks is offline Find More Posts by FiftySlicks
Old Jan 16, 2015, 01:33 PM
Hungary
Joined Jul 2009
258 Posts
I have built my last GEV model a long ago... But I am happy to see activity in this thread.
RdsG is offline Find More Posts by RdsG
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:29 AM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdsG View Post
I have built my last GEV model a long ago... But I am happy to see activity in this thread.
I've -never- built one but am absolutely fascinated by the theories and designs. I can never watch a vid once I always watch them about 6x to find all the details. SOMEDAY I'll find the time to build one, but I can't do anything small it's gotta fill a sheet of Blucor.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk