New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2015, 06:45 PM
Find More Posts by sewflynwa
United States, OK, Altus
Joined Jun 2004
125 Posts
Right now, not much balsa left. Pretty much epoxy held in place by covering.
sewflynwa is offline Find More Posts by sewflynwa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2015, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by freddy_fo
United States, UT, Richfield
Joined Sep 2014
296 Posts
I've been putting together a VQ dauntless that uses the same type of tailwheel but they engineered a fairly simple remedy: they placed hard wood in the rudder where the shaft goes.

I had the plane out again today with the 3200 mah 3s and after 7 minutes of touch and goes still have about 3.90 on all cells.

I am finding that the recommended CG is too far forward for my plane. Still haven't finished sorting it but I suspect I'll be about 65-70mm when done.
freddy_fo is offline Find More Posts by freddy_fo
Old Jun 08, 2015, 09:53 AM
SC1
Find More Posts by SC1
SC1
United States, LA, Zachary
Joined Jul 2003
438 Posts
I sure would like to find one of these NIB somewhere.

SC1 is offline Find More Posts by SC1
Old Jun 08, 2015, 10:00 AM
Find More Posts by shastamike
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC1 View Post
I sure would like to find one of these NIB somewhere.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pa-20-pacer-10e-arf-efl2790
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Jun 09, 2015, 07:22 PM
SC1
Find More Posts by SC1
SC1
Joined Jul 2003
438 Posts
Well, I'll be dipped. Never thought to search Horizon's site; all I knew was this one had been discontinued for quite some time.

Thank you very much, sir. One will be ordered as soon as I decide what motor to use.

Thanks again!

Old Jun 09, 2015, 07:28 PM
SC1
Find More Posts by SC1
SC1
Joined Jul 2003
438 Posts
Quick question for those who have/had this model…

Would a Power 15 be too much motor for it? I have one laying idle, and while I would not be against getting a Power 10, if the Power 15 would work that would be good. I'm just wondering if it would over-strain the motor box during brief full power applications; how much different are the mounting bolt configurations, etc.?

If you think the 15 would be okay (and will fit the firewall); what prop?

Thanks for any advice.

Now to plow through 40+ pages of posts…

Old Jun 09, 2015, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by sewflynwa
United States, OK, Altus
Joined Jun 2004
125 Posts
The motor box and aircraft frame are all light ply, it is strong enough. Also, I believe the Power 15 and the Power 10 use the same X mount bracket so it should fit exactly.

What I am not sure of is the diameter of the power 15. My 10 is very close to the top inside of the cowling to get the motor shaft centered in the cowl opening for the prop shaft. It may rub the cowl.

The Power 15 uses a larger diameter prop than the 10. Ground clearance is minimal with my power 10. You may end up with a grass trimmer. Of course, if you are fortunate enough to have a paved runway, the prop may only trim itself to the proper diameter. :<)
sewflynwa is offline Find More Posts by sewflynwa
Old Jun 09, 2015, 09:13 PM
SC1
Find More Posts by SC1
SC1
Joined Jul 2003
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewflynwa View Post
What I am not sure of is the diameter of the power 15. My 10 is very close to the top inside of the cowling to get the motor shaft centered in the cowl opening for the prop shaft. It may rub the cowl.

The Power 15 uses a larger diameter prop than the 10. Ground clearance is minimal with my power 10. You may end up with a grass trimmer.
That's the kind of detailed info I'm looking for… definite "Hmmm, wait a minute…" things to verify first.

Thanks.

Old Jun 10, 2015, 08:20 AM
Find More Posts by Grampyb
United States, NH, North Hampton
Joined Jul 2013
24 Posts
I installed a HedsUp Power 15 in mine,fit fine. Dia 35mm which is the same as power 10 I believe.
I use an 11 x 5.5 or 11x7 prop, I fly off a grass field so I took off the pants and put on 2.5" low bounce wheels.
Grampyb is offline Find More Posts by Grampyb
Old Jun 10, 2015, 09:25 AM
Joined Jun 2010
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC1 View Post
Quick question for those who have/had this model…

Would a Power 15 be too much motor for it? I have one laying idle, and while I would not be against getting a Power 10, if the Power 15 would work that would be good. I'm just wondering if it would over-strain the motor box during brief full power applications; how much different are the mounting bolt configurations, etc.?

If you think the 15 would be okay (and will fit the firewall); what prop?

Thanks for any advice.

Now to plow through 40+ pages of posts…

I used a FirePower 15 motor in mine. Here is a link to the motor and specs. from HeadsUp Hobbies complete with a photo of my finished plane! http://www.headsuphobby.com/Firepowe...?categoryId=-1Motor fit using small spacers to get the spinner and cowl clearance. HeadsUP is a great online store by the way.
Mike
Old Jun 10, 2015, 09:27 AM
Joined Jun 2010
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampyb View Post
I installed a HedsUp Power 15 in mine,fit fine. Dia 35mm which is the same as power 10 I believe.
I use an 11 x 5.5 or 11x7 prop, I fly off a grass field so I took off the pants and put on 2.5" low bounce wheels.
Interesting about the low bounce wheels. I fly off tarmac and feel that the tires are too hard. Makes the plane too easy to bounce and then the big ground loop.
mIke
Old Jun 10, 2015, 02:58 PM
Find More Posts by freddy_fo
United States, UT, Richfield
Joined Sep 2014
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewflynwa View Post

According to the e-flite website the power 15 has a 35mm diameter same as the power 10 but 7mm longer than the latter. If the power 10 is just right length-wise you might have to mount the cowl further out or modify the motor mount box. I had to add about 4mm of shims to my rimfire .15 which is shorter than the power 10.
freddy_fo is offline Find More Posts by freddy_fo
Old Jun 10, 2015, 04:44 PM
SC1
Find More Posts by SC1
SC1
Joined Jul 2003
438 Posts
I just measured my Power 15; it is indeed 35mm wide. As noted, adjusting the firewall depth is no big deal.

So… are those D76 micro servos strong enough to hold up over the long run? I'm thinking Hitec 5085MGs might be a better idea.

Old Jun 10, 2015, 04:49 PM
SC1
Find More Posts by SC1
SC1
Joined Jul 2003
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSteffens View Post
with all of its characteristics, this is going to be a calm day flyer for me.
Do you still hold this opinion? I don't need a calm day plane; its always windy at our hill-top club.

Old Jun 10, 2015, 05:37 PM
SC1
Find More Posts by SC1
SC1
Joined Jul 2003
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenap View Post
This plane was produced in Vietnam which I believe is why the quality is not quite up to snuff when compared to other planes I've purchased by E-Flite and H9. I got a Seagull plane years back produced in Vietnam as well and it's quality was not so hot, either. Maybe China does it better………. somehow?
Ugh. SeaGull. Now I know why there are so many issues.

China does indeed "do it better". A prime example is the SIG ARFs of yesterday. I hade numerous ones, and they were all simply superb; top shelf kit quality. Time went by, SIG went through some tough times, then came back strong with a new series of ARFs… produced by Seagull.

I have looked at the new Four Star 40 and Something Extra offerings, and neither was nearly as "good" as I recall the older examples that came from China. I assembled the XA-41, and it was a terrible disappointment. Aside from being a lead sled, it too was feloniously tail heavy. That did it for me for SeaGull models; at least, the electric examples.

To be fair, they do fine in glow trim, because the extra power available with glow engines overcomes the weight penalty. On the smaller e-ships, extra weight is bad juju.

At any rate, I just lost total interest in this model. But I thoroughly appreciate the adult discourse by experienced modelers in this thread, which made it easy to determine that the faults indicated were real, and not due to inexperience/impatience.