to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:42 PM
Find More Posts by Fish99
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,840 Posts
AR636 and the Beast 60e

Finally got out to re-maiden my Beast with the new AR636 Rx in it. Took me a bit to get the programming down where I wanted it, but I have to say that now that I have it there, I am VERY impressed with the new Rx. It actually makes the beast so much more fun to fly in high alpha and 3D it is almost like a different, or at least much better, plane. I know a lot of that is due to my skills being obviously nothing like a QQ, lol, but I really do like this plane more now, and that is saying something as it was probably my favourite or second favourite before!

I just find that there is zero wing rock with much less work from me to eliminate it so I can concentrate on flying the maneuvers themselves and having fun. Also found I almost immediately had more confidence flying the plane down low in high alpha and hover. Was always quite a ways up before, or when I was down low was stressing hard the whole time as you had to stay on the plane hard to avoid the rocking, etc.

If at all possible, I think it lands even nicer now as well. Bottom line, I feel like the new Rx with the new settings just smoothed out the flight characteristics a whole lot. Again, maybe it's psychological, maybe just better settings, but I am sold. Loving the AR636 Rx in this plane.

Happy flying all,

Marlin
Fish99 is online now Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Jul 01, 2015, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by Sharpedge
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Mar 2012
47 Posts
Is there a trick to making up the control arms. I'm used to threading plastic ball links onto rods for helicopters but the beast ball links are more substantial. I have tried screw the links onto the threaded rod but only appear to be grinding the opening wider without actually getting the tread to bite. Should I be drilling it wider or using a tap to cut the treads?
Sharpedge is online now Find More Posts by Sharpedge
Old Jul 01, 2015, 08:05 PM
Find More Posts by gobigdave
United States, MA, Scituate
Joined Apr 2007
244 Posts
I put one of the smaller rods in a drill and used a very slow speed. Then I used a pair of vice grips to get the thread started. I was never able to make any progress by hand. They are REALLY tight!
gobigdave is offline Find More Posts by gobigdave
Old Jul 03, 2015, 11:54 PM
Joined Mar 2012
47 Posts
Build progressing slowly as I wait for the motor to come back in stock. I need to lengthen all 4 gaps in the top of the fuse to get the top wing center section support struts in place. They all needed about 5mm towards the nose to get the two bolt holes to line up. I have put the top wings on only to find out that I can get one wing bolted in but am about 4mm out on the other side. I can remove the bolt and move the whole wing over the 4mm and bolt in the other side and but again can only fit one bolt. A test fit without the wing tube and I can just about make it fit. The tube is going all the way to the stops on both sides, its a little stiff in places but slides in ok. There is a solid thunk as the tube hits the stops on each wing so I think that there is something in the way or the tube is simply too long. Has anyone had to shorten the tube to get it to fit?
Last edited by Sharpedge; Jul 04, 2015 at 02:17 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2015, 02:46 AM
Find More Posts by PSPS
Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
49 Posts
Open the servo-bay. Now you can see clearly the stop of the tube. Upper wing 150 mm in, lower wing 245 mm in. Short them for best match, if necessarily. I have to short mine about 4 mm each.
PSPS is offline Find More Posts by PSPS
Old Jul 04, 2015, 03:03 AM
Find More Posts by PSPS
Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
49 Posts
“Shorten”, sorry for my poor English
Old Jul 04, 2015, 04:23 AM
Joined Mar 2012
47 Posts
Thanks PSPS, it put the two tubes side by side and noticed that one was a little shorter. Tried shorter one on top and with a little effort fort and force managed to get bolt in. Just making up servo extensions before having a go with the lower wings.
Last edited by Sharpedge; Jul 04, 2015 at 04:31 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2015, 06:53 AM
Find More Posts by PSPS
Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
49 Posts
Just make shore you shorten them enough, so you can get in these 4 screws securing the wings easily.

B.R. Peter
Old Jul 04, 2015, 10:39 AM
Find More Posts by Lopflyers
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jun 2012
1,374 Posts
Happy 4th for everyone
Lopflyers is offline Find More Posts by Lopflyers
Old Jul 05, 2015, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by Flying Fiz
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2009
460 Posts
Matchbox AR636 Advice

Ok so I decided I will use the AR636 asx receiver in this and will set up this week for maiden next weekend.

Just one last (probably dumb) question if I could.

I plan on using the Matchbox for all 4 aileron servos.
  1. I'll get them all working correctly via the matchbox.
  2. Plug the matchbox lead into the aileron plug in the receiver.
  3. Then the wing type I'll select in the ASX set-up program will be one aileron servo for two ailerons
Its this last step I'd like confirmation on. I assume that as the ASX receiver will only see one aileron lead then I will have to set it up as one aileron servo and two ailerons.

Thanks in advance.
Flying Fiz is offline Find More Posts by Flying Fiz
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
Find More Posts by gobigdave
United States, MA, Scituate
Joined Apr 2007
244 Posts
That is correct. the Rx sees one aileron servo with a matchbox.
gobigdave is offline Find More Posts by gobigdave
Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM
Find More Posts by Flying Fiz
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2009
460 Posts
Thanks Dave,
I just needed a sanity check!
Flying Fiz is offline Find More Posts by Flying Fiz