SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 23, 2015, 01:35 PM
Find More Posts by fabric8
Fixed and rotary wing flyer
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2011
190 Posts
CG is 75-80mm from the leading edge of the wing.

Here's a pic from the manual
fabric8 is offline Find More Posts by fabric8
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2015, 09:13 PM
Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
13,574 Posts
Original crash idea

Out came the Spitfire for the weekend flying, after a long break for it.
Saturday, Flight 1 was fine and the good old tried and trustworthy Spit flew and looked awesome.
Unfortunately Flight 2 went amiss..... (and I didn't hatcam video this flight, BOO!!)

Flying from a soccer field, I use one side line as a pretend runway edge and focus on tracking that for take-offs. I stand about 15 feet to the 'other' side of that line and it passes by at that 15ft to 20ft distance away.
There were three or four planes parked near me and my FPV tripod/monitor not far behind me.

As it rolled out, from maybe 50 feet away, I run it out quite slowly to slowly build speed and extend the take-off to be like full scale. Something like 100ft start to lifting off and away, so by 25 feet from my adjacent point it is just thinking about lifting the tail.
Then it must have hit something in the grass because it suddenly veered left sharply - straight towards ME! (the first time any plane has done that there!)
Split second decisions..... it is moving somewhat fast and would probably not stop before getting to the other planes etc. Maybe it would have stopped in time.... but the seemingly 'safer' (???) decision (for the planes etc) was to ADD power, to make it lift off and then I could bank away in that same process/time. In theory...
But of course you can't bank much at a lower speed and very low to the ground.

I guess it was a BAD idea....
It lifted off, and I believe I added Up Pitch and Right Roll, but it was closing fast of course and it was just 1 foot or so off the ground as it got to me! It was trying to bank past me...
I JUMPED.... not high enough (1 or 2 feet up?).... and the left wing clipped my lower leg. Sending the Spitfire spinning off in a left spin of some manner, over the other planes (PHEW!), and into the FPV Tripod! Its prop hit one leg and mangled that - bent, dented, multiple hack marks - and broke one blade off the 3 blade prop. And that impact sent it flipping over into the ground inverted.
It is a HEAVY Spitfire..... so I wouldn't even want to 'drop' it carefully from one foot.. or ANY height really!

The left wing was half torn off, probably at the sudden 'stop' when it hit my leg. This stressed and cracked open the fuselage - my Wing/Fuselage is permanently joined, so the fuselage wanted to go with the wing!. The prop broken (a TOUGH master Airscrew prop!), and it also broke off the top of the fin and rudder on the inverted landing.

What a clown!
Though in the split seconds to decide I don't think any other choice would have helped much - cutting power would have had it run into the other group pf planes pretty surely. Though MAYBE I would have dived to grab it, or get in its way, to protect those.
It seemed that powering up and away into flight, with a right bank, would have fit in fine as the best solution... the Spitfire flying off under a bit of duress.... but it didn't.

The 'good' part was the wing/fuselage break was one long crack/break, so it was an easy Epoxy fix and is very strong - like new again really. The Rudder/Fin fix was simple. A new prop.... and a check over the whole plane that night.
So it was back out and flying for the Sunday!

I think that is "Way to crash a plane #307" now..... sheesh. NEW ways just keep turning up!
(I discovered way #308 with a different glider later in that day too!)
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Old Jun 03, 2015, 07:52 PM
Find More Posts by ronj10
I like Golden Age
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2007
341 Posts
aileron servo reversed?

I did a bad belly land and stripped out an aileron servo.
So I ordered a new 9gram servo.
Installed it and the ailerons both move the same direction. I can flip the servo around, but then I have to flip the horn also. So I get the same deal. Both ailerons go the same way. I even tried another 9 gram servo.
What is that all about??!! Did dynam have one of the servos with reversed polarity? I looked at the parts site and they only list one servo for replacement.
What am I doing wrong here?

The picture shows my install.
ronj10 is offline Find More Posts by ronj10
Old Jun 03, 2015, 10:15 PM
pdb
Find More Posts by pdb
pdb
pdbrown170b
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2007
27 Posts
Yes, I believe Dynam fits the plane with a standard and reversed flap servo. If you have excellent soldering skills, you may be able to reverse a standard servo (google for procedure.). Its simpler to order a standard and reverse servo.

Here are ones I used in my Dynam Spit. : http://www.motionrc.com/fms-9g-rever...al-flap-servo/

One trick for which I don't have an answer is how to figure out if your bad servo was the standard or reversed servo. My guess is that, if you didn't order a reversed servo, they sent you a standard servo which is why both now turn the same direction.
pdb is offline Find More Posts by pdb
Last edited by pdb; Jun 03, 2015 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Typos
Old Jun 04, 2015, 08:42 AM
Find More Posts by insomaniac45
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
752 Posts
or do what i did, and swap ones orientation, so one points o the tip of the wing, and the other towards the fuse. simple, but effective.
insomaniac45 is offline Find More Posts by insomaniac45
Old Jun 05, 2015, 06:58 AM
Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,561 Posts
The easiest way and what I did was set the Tx for dual ailerons and reserve the appropriate channel.
Great_Goose is offline Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Jun 12, 2015, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by kildar
keep um between the tree's
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Feb 2013
2,044 Posts
spitfire lawn darted

gm pilots,

it looks like a few mishaps have happened . I hand launch mine , so np with take offs . the belly land produces a broken control horn every once in awhile =np .

I lawn darted my spit the other day, hot dogging to close to the ground = pilot error = inverted= up is down and down is up ,easy huh , wrong
anyway I had a spare fuselage and enough left for the rebuild .

problem= tail heavy at spec cog and wicked left roll ?

my question is ,how many weights go into the inserts in the fuselage . I have two and centered them in the insert hole ?I am thinking this may be my problem ? I was looking at my corsair and it has 3, 2 on one side and one on the other . any ideals ? it was fine before crash ?

thanks in advance

tracy
kildar is offline Find More Posts by kildar
Old Jun 13, 2015, 05:20 PM
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
752 Posts
could it be a torque roll? as i know the wash out on the spitty, is severe... alot of side and down thrust.

this could be the roll issue, but as far as the weight issue comes in, other than adding weight to the nose, behind the spinner, there is nothing else you can really do.

I am yet to get mine back out, but i may be in possesion of the De Agnosti Part Works spitfire tomorrw for nothing....

My mate is moving, and it has sat in boxes, un started for years, and he does not have the storage space so win for me....
Old Jun 17, 2015, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by kildar
keep um between the tree's
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Feb 2013
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomaniac45 View Post
could it be a torque roll? as i know the wash out on the spitty, is severe... alot of side and down thrust.

this could be the roll issue, but as far as the weight issue comes in, other than adding weight to the nose, behind the spinner, there is nothing else you can really do.

I am yet to get mine back out, but i may be in possesion of the De Agnosti Part Works spitfire tomorrw for nothing....

My mate is moving, and it has sat in boxes, un started for years, and he does not have the storage space so win for me....
thanks , I have it sorted out, kinda . I just added some down to the elev and more right aileron . she seems to be flying ok now .

gl with the new plane mate

tracy
kildar is offline Find More Posts by kildar
Old Jun 18, 2015, 06:43 AM
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
752 Posts
i actually crashed mine the other day. tip stall at about 20ft, showing off just how slow she can go, and i guess either the wind died, or i just went too slow....

but she is more than repairable, and will be back in the air soon,
Old Jun 23, 2015, 08:31 AM
Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
3,059 Posts
After 75 flights or so and countless nose overs....my motor mounts start to get mushy.......so I cut a square access panel from the top fuselage centered at the motor mount. Glue in popsicle sticks on the back side and apply copious epoxie to fortify that motor mount.....very solid when completed. I don't like the top hatch showing on this excellent scale bird.....but I'd rather have the hatch lines over the strange right upwards rolling plane at WOT due to the soft motor mount.

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin