HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2014, 11:21 AM
Pasco Tri Cities, Washington, United States
Joined Aug 2004
269 Posts
Discussion
Flight control power supply

I bought a beautiful used Shinden, complete with electric motor and ESC. It currently has a small 2S LiPo battery, switch, and voltage regulator to power the receiver and servos. I'd like to use two 2S LiPos and dual system to make a redundent power supply. Can you folks share what brands, sizes of batteries, regulators, and switches make a reliable, safe and light weight system?

Larry Fitch
LRFitch is offline Find More Posts by LRFitch
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2014, 05:38 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
1,995 Posts
Consider this

http://www.powerbox-systems.com/prod...ox-sensor.html
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Feb 06, 2014, 05:39 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
1,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
http://www.powerbox-systems.com/uplo...nsor_en_02.pdf
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Feb 11, 2014, 01:02 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,026 Posts
What he said.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:40 AM
United States, CA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2007
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRFitch View Post
I bought a beautiful used Shinden, complete with electric motor and ESC. It currently has a small 2S LiPo battery, switch, and voltage regulator to power the receiver and servos. I'd like to use two 2S LiPos and dual system to make a redundent power supply. Can you folks share what brands, sizes of batteries, regulators, and switches make a reliable, safe and light weight system?

Larry Fitch
You might try asking here if you're looking for various opinions:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/

There are likely a higher proportion of visitors there who have redundant systems in their planes and I believe there is more than one way to do it.
HouseOf4Doors is offline Find More Posts by HouseOf4Doors
Old Feb 21, 2014, 04:00 PM
United States, NY, Ossining
Joined Aug 2003
115 Posts
I tap two cells of my main pack into a Tech Aero PLR5-E set at 6.5v then have a 350 mah 2c as back up into a second regulator set at 6.0v. The main packs don't notice the usage and the backup is always there and charged. Plug them in separately and differ the order each time to make sure the system is working. Check the back up voltage each day and after a lot of flying it will run down so I swap to a spare.
Anthonyr is offline Find More Posts by Anthonyr
Old Mar 04, 2014, 07:58 PM
Half way there
USA, FL, Ocoee
Joined Sep 2008
1,202 Posts
I use the Tech Aero also. Works perfect. I use a Castle BEC pro for the primary and a 2s 750 @ storage charge for the back up. I tried tapping in to the balance plug originally but something goofy was going with all that and my eagle tree data recorder which caused my CC100 to belch fireballs
bill clark is offline Find More Posts by bill clark
RCG Plus Member