HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2013, 05:22 AM
Stone Mountain, GA
Joined May 2007
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hogue View Post
Send me the landing gear, and brake/wheel set and I will do the work for you, just pay the shipping

Done!

PM me your mailing address. Thanks very much!!
dgfinch is offline Find More Posts by dgfinch
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:58 PM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,608 Posts
dgfinch,

As it turns out, all I had to do was remove the axle that came with the wheel/brake assembly. It consists of basicly 3 parts, the electromagnet hub, which has 2 setscrews to retain the axle, the wheel/tire, which has a steel disc inside, and the axle, which has a head like a nail and is insterted all the way through the wheel and hub, retained by the aforementioned setscrews. The axles on your landing gear happened to be the same diameter roughly as the axles, one assembly fit right away and the other just needed a little coaxing with a no 22 drill. I then used the wheel collars you sent with the gear to secure the wheels, and done! I did also dremel/file flats on the gear axles so those wheel collars wont accidently come off, and blue loctited all the setscrews.
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:00 AM
Stone Mountain, GA
Joined May 2007
402 Posts
That sounds GREAT! I hope you were able to take photographs for the benefit of those people who have been following this thread. If the brakes work with standard axles, I can see a bunch of people following your mod.

Can't wait to try them out!! Thanks for you work.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 07:42 PM
Guatemala, Guate
Joined Jul 2007
226 Posts
Please atach pictures......

Have to do the same for a new project, turbine conversion long ez 46 and for sure will need the breaking power.

Cheers.

Juan
juanjulian is offline Find More Posts by juanjulian
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:32 PM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,608 Posts
Sorry, I didnt take any pics and they're back in Damians hands by now. Really nothing to it, losen the setscrews and you'll see how they fit together. These were a direct fit on a 5/32 Dubro axle, I dont know what brand the wheel/brakes were.
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:21 PM
Stone Mountain, GA
Joined May 2007
402 Posts
I failed to provide the link in the original post. Here it is http://tinyurl.com/ocqyzro

I had a chance to fly the Das Ugly Stik with these installed today. What a HOOT! Land, apply the brakes and be prepared to stop right-damn-now. I giggled every time. They really work great. Highly suggested for tricycle gear, but I am sure they would flip a taildragger :-)

Thanks again for David Hogue's work. His tips above will make them work with any tricycle gear. Highly recommended, two thumbs way up!!

Last edited by dgfinch; Nov 02, 2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Add image
Old Nov 20, 2013, 08:29 AM
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
479 Posts
Hello dgfinch,

I have a question for you. Seeing that you have used these electric brakes on your main wheels did you have any concerns with uneven braking to either wheel which would tend to veer your plane left or right? I am considering buying them for a large EDF project but I wonder how they preform without adjustments to each individual wheel. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Dean
buckaroo is online now Find More Posts by buckaroo
Old Nov 20, 2013, 09:01 AM
Stone Mountain, GA
Joined May 2007
402 Posts
I have never experienced that problem. To tell the truth, the only concern I have is the tires. The brakes are very effective, but after 40 or so stops my once rounded tires have turned into square sided tires. Won't be a problem for another hundred or so flights, but then I will have to think about some sort of re-tread solution since the tires and wheels are on piece units.

No uneven braking though. And they really work!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 03:57 PM
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
479 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply dgfinch. I think I will try them out on my build. Maybe by the time we need replacement rubber they will offer them.

Thanks again,
Dean
buckaroo is online now Find More Posts by buckaroo