HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:21 AM
meridian, idaho
Joined Mar 2010
127 Posts
Discussion
PL-8 versus 10XP via car battery connection

Hey gents.

Generally I start charging my huge selection of 3s batteries the day before I go flying, so my Cellpro 4s never really seems to lag behind in speed. I have decided that I want a charger with the ability to discharge batteries, so its time to buy a new one. I have been trying to decide between the 10XP and Powerlab 6, but I assume since I don't have a power supply and always use the Optima battery on my truck that the 10XP will charge a battery just as efficiently as the PL-6 in my scenario (12 volts)?

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks.
overthebars is offline Find More Posts by overthebars
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:36 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,006 Posts
If are even considering it, I would go with the Powerlab6 or Powerlab8. Both have 40 amps of output vs 15 amps for the XP. The input on the XP is capped at 25 amps. The Powerlab6 is 40 amps and the Powerlab8 is 60 amps.

For the differences between they 6 and the 8 see this thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1809537

The advantage of the XP is that you can charge a 10s pack. Or you can charge two packs at a time (5s or below) serially and do so safely.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:32 PM
meridian, idaho
Joined Mar 2010
127 Posts
Thanks for the response Gregor... reading the specs, I see the Powerlab 6 will output 408 watts at 12 volts, and the 10XP will output 234 watts at 12 volts, so I think I will order a Powerlab 6 and go ahead and buy the battery clamp adapter cable so I can hook it up to my truck battery at the field... That setup should charge the batteries a bit quicker than my Cellpro 4s, and the ability to discharge the batteries to storage level is an important feature to me.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:34 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
3,874 Posts
Ideally get the usb hookup as well so you can tell the charger that it is running from an Optima battery and it can adjust the regenerative discharge voltages appropriately. I don't think you can edit that via the menus, only via software.

That way though when you discharge it will automatically do a regenerative into your Optima until the Optima is full before doing an internal discharge which is much slower.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:55 AM
meridian, idaho
Joined Mar 2010
127 Posts
Great info, Thank you!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 04:44 PM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
Joined Jun 2003
411 Posts
overthebars:

I chose to go with the PL6 after looking at that and the 10XP. If you get the Cellpro Safe parallel charging board you can charge up to 6 of same cell count batteries at the same time. The PL6 and the parallel board come in a package saving a little money.

What's an Optima battery?

- Jim
JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:40 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
3,874 Posts
Optima is a brand of AGM battery. AGM batteries have a slightly different charge voltage then your standard flooded battery. Also typically they can handle being discharged substantially further then your standard starter battery.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:55 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Optima is a brand of AGM battery. AGM batteries have a slightly different charge voltage then your standard flooded battery. Also typically they can handle being discharged substantially further then your standard starter battery.
From above:

"Also typically they can handle being discharged substantially further then your standard starter battery."

...and they accept higher rates of charge as well as discharge; the latter being important if one plans to utilize regenerative discharge feature of the PowerLabs.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks